Defoliating advice needed :

Hey all, I’m new and this is my first try. They are coming along pretty nice now.They had a rough life at start of clones because I didn’t have a room for them. Now they are taking off and i need to start thinning these things out but am scared to start cutting lol. Any advice would be appreciated. Hope I am getting this out there right. Have never posted on any page like this so trying to figure it all out.

1 Like

Also is it a good time to pull the clones off now ?

Hello Potman22, I’d start clearing out the underbrush before going into flowering. Bottom third of the plant is not going to get a lot of light in flowering and produce small larfy buds, best to trim them off and make clones with them. Then in week 3 of flowering ditch the large fan leaves so the bud sites can get more light.

3 Likes

OK, So they are good for now then I guess except I should do the clones soon hey ?

1 Like

Soon or right before going into flowering is a good time for clean up and clone taking.

4 Likes

Thank you very much Hellraiser. I’m really liking this hobby but sure have a lot to learn lol.
Thanks again

3 Likes

When they get this size and you defoliate them you won’t even be able to tell in 24-48 hours. When you get into flower around week 3 you’ll need to do it again for any leaves blocking prime sites and then I follow up and finish at week 4 to make sure there are no little suckers taking away from the main colas.

3 Likes

This is all solid advice. Almost exactly what i do.

4 Likes

Hey, do you mean after I switch to flowering to do the defoliation? Sorry for questioning but I really don’t know what to do yet, I still have to learn/read/watch video of how to clone and defoliate. I only know what week it is since I transplanted and put them in the new room. Kinda looks like my room isn’t big enough for these plants lol. That’s why I was wondering about trimming now.

Defoliating now is good. And again week three of flower.

1 Like

Yea… what @ThatoneAKguy said. Id stripem at the bottom third completely, and make sure to remove enough fan leaves to allow for light penetration and air flow. Then 3 weeks or so into flower remobe fans again. When i do it i go all out, really take 80% of the fan leaves in wk 3. Lots of people do much less, i know some that do more. However, with all that bei g said, by week 3 of flower the girls and i been together for 10 or 12 weeks already and i usually got a feel for what they can take. When you get to know your plants it will come pretty natural. Its also worth mentioning that autos are more sensitive to defoliation, grow fast so stress hits them a little differently.

1 Like

Thanks so much to you all, I have to do some learning now on how to do all this properly. And @Silverback I’ve been spending a lot of time with these girls and growing pretty fond of them lol.
This is pretty kool to learn

One other thing, what do you do with all the leaves? Dry them out until later to try to make hash or maybe oil ?

Nothing at the moment. I been kicking around running them through a juicer and amending with it during feeding or watering.

I know there are people who juice them and drink it for health benifits.

Mostly i burn them in the burn pit. Trashcan is a bad idea where im at.

1 Like

Am drying mine out atm, going to smoke them. :slight_smile: :grinning:

1 Like

Do they have any kick

1 Like

I try not to remove anything unless the health of the plant is at risk. I do remove fans around week 3 flower and then strip before harvest. SCROG’ing is handled differently in that all understory growth is removed.

Look up ‘Monster Cropped Clones’ before you take clones of plants. Plan to do this after transition and first pistil show and you get an amazing plant.

1 Like

It’s better than nothing, and nothing is what I have atm. I will let you know in about 2 days.

1 Like

Here is a sour d auto i did today. End of wk3 flower.

2 Likes

Awesome , Thank you so much. I will check out that site, I need all the help I can get lol