Defoiliation at week 4 of budding

Have had mixed success with defoliation with various strains grown in scrog. This single white widow is doing well at 4 weeks into flower, after filling in a 4x4 grid during 24hr veg cycle. It has an 18 inch vertical goldilocks zone, with the goal being 2 ounce per square foot if the box is running smooth. I am considering thinning out more fan leaves from the canopy to increase air flow and promote bud growth but always shed a tear when picking healthy leaves from a healthy plant. What recommendations do you have for maximizing yield in tight quarters?

8 Likes

You sound like me I usually take a few but I don’t overdo it. Your plants look great.

1 Like

@MattyBear this is in your wheelhouse too haha.

I SCROG. Using that method you get kind of hardened to defoliation as everything under your (18" goldilocks zone) has to go. About 3 weeks into flower (you look like about that), I start taking fans. I try to tunnel down in a couple of places to allow light and air in but it’s still dense and some of it is still shy light. It’s a balancing act because I want every bit of leaf surface producing sugar for the tops without damaging the plant.

2 oz per square foot is easily doable with adequate veg time.

What method are you using to grow? Hydro? Media? Soil?

This is my (one) plant this grow, taking a bit of sunshine. Game Changer, regular female 60/40 sativa. 1 to 20 CBD to THC.

11 Likes

That plant has more like a small tree base. Well done even canopy beautiful plant.

1 Like

I just started cleaning mine up this grow. Thanks for the post. Wasn’t sure how much to take but it’s looking about like yours. There was a lot under there that wouldn’t have amounted to anything but getting in the way.

1 Like

Yeah, that stuff just takes away from the gucchi stuff on top haha.

3 Likes

Mine looks to be about like yours, only indoors, potting soil mix, grow bag, standard nutrition throughout flowering and flush at harvest.

10 Likes

@Myfriendis410 that one should produce a super yield. One quick question got my slow 9 Day dry about 10 days in on curing process in jars . I did a spot check got a reading of 60 to 61% at what point would you add the 62% humidity pack or or let it ride. When you open the jars the smell and Aroma is awesome I know I’m on track for that unicorn fart smoothness lol. Thanks

1 Like

Shove em in there. You should be fine.

1 Like

THANKS plan to give it about 30 days curing before I try it let you know results.

1 Like

I don’t know if it shows but I removed a little over 400 leaves from the canopy in the last 10 days. I deprived it of a little nitrogen and let it draw from the lowers fan leaves which turned a slight yellow and then after plucking those ones, I fed it a mix of blooming fert, nitrogen, micros, and probiotics. Now I sit back and wait to see if the buds swell larger😃

8 Likes

7 Likes

View from Under The Canopy

8 Likes

7 Likes

trip out, looks like a forest view from the ground, nice.

buds are still gaining in size and I adjusted the nets as much as possible for support, they are still having trouble staying upright though, but there too many to attach to ceiling with string.

8 Likes

5 days into flushing

10 Likes

Almost too beautiful to chop!

Nice fade, love the autumn colors, something people who don’t flush will never get to see,

2 Likes

@Stonedrus wow nice plants.are u using all l.e.d

1 Like