Deer are eating my plants

One plant has a leaf eaten off and one Maui wowie was killed, a runt. Any ideas on how to keep them out? I placed large branches around the plants, held up by palm forms in a mess to keep animals out. Any examples people have seen to keep deer out. I am germinating two more black rainbow sherbets, an apple crumple (these never sprouted), and another Maui wowie.

4 Likes

Piss around the area everytime your out there :metal::green_heart:

13 Likes

i eat deer, whats the address? lmao

14 Likes

Lmao :rofl::joy:

3 Likes

Deer sausage is good indeed. I don’t have a gun, nor can I skin a deer because I would eat his ass about my Maui Wowie. Pissing is something I can do

6 Likes

if the pissing dont work, can you put up chicken wire or something around the grow area to keep them out? got a bow? lol

4 Likes

You can pour vinegar in a hand spray to spray the chicken wire and get the shine off :green_heart::metal:

3 Likes

Chicken wire, that sounds good maybe I can use branches to help hide the fence as well as the vinegar

4 Likes

This probably sounds stupid, but I had what I think we’re Field Mice digging up my plant’s at night, can’t really build anything around my plant’s because they must be hidden, so I tried sprinkling Red Pepper Flakes around my plant’s and it works, they completely stopped digging, Don’t know about if it works for Deer, but what the Hell it’s worth a try and doesn’t cost much, I lost 5 plant’s so I know how you feel

3 Likes

I spread minced garlic around my garden to keep the critters away. I’m not near enough water to have any deer around, but we do have coyotes, rabbits, squirrel, chipmunks, and so on.

3 Likes

Get deer repellent spray at lows, piss works great, when I get a haircut, human hair in a
Stocking works well to

6 Likes

Hit your local barber shop and do a ring of human hair around it. Piss doesn’t deter deer. I piss out of my tree stand and deer will walk under me and stand there and smell it. In the Rut it’s an attractant. Bucks roaming marking up everything they can to attract does. Just my two cents from experience.

Human hair has proved to me it works.

8 Likes

The deer are really bad. They killed a NYC diesel and a black rainbow Sherbert. I don’t think my seeds can keep up with the damage, but they will for a while and im not growing these strains again anyways, keep Poppin em. I bought a deer and rabbit repellent and sprayed around the plants, on the plants, the outer perimeter and trying to find out how tall does the chicken wire need to be to keep em out. This is a learning experience about pest management and the damage it can cause. My spot needs more work to be successful

5 Likes

4’. Put the fence at least 2’ from the edge of your garden

3 Likes

Us ol gurillas use a spray made from cayanne pepper. You can actually buy this stuff we use to make at the local China mart stores now so they must be reading my posts the last decade or two.

Put mothballs in the bushes around your plants, every time it rains the smell drives deer and many other critters away. Malathon works great as well.

Urine, hair etc only work for a night or two.

A simple string with a bell on it chest high to a deer will scare the deer out of them.

Good luck!

9 Likes

I agree with @2GreenThumbs

They don’t like unexpected sounds or
Movement. Movement works better. They are skittish.

Cattle panels or a fenced in area would help, but I’d imagine at least 6’ high, or motion activated devices like this

The ones that make sound don’t really work, they can but not always. I’d say they are more of a cash grab. Predator props only work temporarily…

5 Likes

Also it takes an 8 ft fence to keep a deer out, chicken wire won’t do that. Deer laugh at 4 ft fences built by city folks.

4 Likes

Every tried Mylar on a stick? Supposedly that works. Or props that look like eyes?

3 Likes

Worked for mine last year. They kept eating the tops off my tomato plants and my daughters sunflowers she planted

4 Likes

Most effective cure is a 30/30. And if you hit craigslist in advance im sure you could fine someone to dress out the deer for a split of meat.

8 Likes