Decarb on a pellet grill/smoker?

Has anyone ever decarbed trim on a pellet grill? It’s basically a wood fired convection oven. Of course at low temps it puts out significant smoke. I might try it with some trim and use Apple or cherry wood. Just curious if anyone has tried it.

1 Like

I’ve never tried but I love to smoke with apple :apple: and orange :tangerine: wood. Good luck keep me posted on your results.

2 Likes

I decarbed on a propane grill outside to keep the smell down inside. Turned out fine, was just a little harder to gauge the temps properly. Just make sure you monitor it and you will be fine.

2 Likes

I’m getting ready to try my hand at making canna butter. Almost 3 oz of trim leafs and popcorn fluffy bud. A few more oz and I’m going for it.

1 Like

The beauty of the pellet grill is it has a thermostat, so you can keep the temp with a few degrees of where you set it. I am going to try it. I froze most of my trim for bubble hash but still have 3 plants to harvest.

1 Like

As long as you can keep the temp consistent and around 220 - 225 you should be good.

1 Like

Here is how I do it

1 Like
5 Likes

Cool - another use for my food saver besides sealing venison!

2 Likes

When I make budder, I decarb in the oven, but in the same sealed mason jar that I will make the butter in (110c for 110). Let it cool before you open it. and you don’t leave any goodies stuck to the inside of the bags…

2 Likes

@Hogmaster
Great way to do it saves all the good stuff inside :+1:
Woohoo :raised_hands: great link brother
Coconut oil coming soon :blush:

1 Like

I have seen many methods, and test results saying “my way is best”, but that is not scientific. Best short article I have found was this:http://hightimes.com/edibles/edibles-the-scoop-on-decarboxylation/

The pertinent part being
"Scientists in Holland tried to figure out what the optimum temperature for decarboxylation in order to some day scale up the reaction for making cannabis-based pharmaceuticals. They landed on easy numbers to remember: “110 °C for 110 minutes.” Some of the best mainstream methods of making cannabudder came about from people reaching a similar conclusion, but by trial and error. Everyone perfects their own personal methods, but lower temperatures for a longer time can yield up to 95% of your THC."

1 Like

Most methods you see will closely resemble these temps (240F)

1 Like

Thank are friends from potent Ponics for the great video thanks @AquaponicSteve

Ok I did it. Decarbed on my pellet grill. I set it to 225F, which keeps it in a range from 220-240. I had it on there for around 70 minutes. I didn’t get a wet weight, but dry weight was 3.76 ounces. I made butter with that - one pound. Made oatmeal cookie bars this morning and tried a 1” square. I’ve been high since 9am. Oops. It is just now abating.

3 Likes