Debbie's First Shot at Seeds

@scylents You know there is a thread here somewhere that the guy (sorry cant remember who) did an actual head to head test on peat pots vs solo cups…I kept up but forgot to check back in…I started last year in peat pots/plugs… Jiffy kind…I had no problem with them and when I harvested and cut down I pulled them out to see what gives? The roots broke through the netting fine? This year I did my own undocumented experiment using some in peat pots and some in solos… I used a clear solo with holes drilled into it and a colored on the outside…But instead of using FF or whatever I used peat in the solos…I bought a ton of Jiffy peats and had enough to expand them in water tear off the netting and shove it in the solo cups…Worked like a charm…Problem was I didn’t document it!!! and was caught up in my Caterpillar conundrum…I will say that apples to apples that the ones in the solos had roots trying to grow out of the bottom when the plant was an inch tall? So maybe Ill stick to the solos?
@Cannabian Ive used the h20 /h202 in a sealed glass jar in a dark drawer and I get 100% success rate in as little as 24+ hours… Yeas ago I did only use the wet paper towel method and YES they do get stuck to the pp towel fairly easy!! Ill go glass,water,peroxide any day…Of course be very careful when taking it out…I use a spoon and tweezers ,grab that lil sucker my its head (very gently) and pop it into its hole…!00% success rate,so far…

3 Likes

Aero garden with the 6 seed pod starter tops work fantastic, I used to use it so often I had to buy my wife another just to keep her quiet….

The one I was using at the time was definitely some present I gave to her…then used it for “us” :wink:

Anyhow the setup works great , tho you do need to add a air pump thru the small hole in the back that’s premade for it.

Once your seed has a tail, put it into a damp pod tail down helmet up, put it into the plastic holder aero garden and keep an eye to make sure it pushes out properly.

I’ve found this system to make starting from seed very simple and take out the guess work

3 Likes

Something works better than my cling wrap? (that was sarcasm) That is an excellent idea, I am a Diet Pepsi Addict and have access to all the clear plastic bottles I could ever use

2 Likes

I use a paper towel to dump them out of the glass and sort them with a toothpick. The water just strains through down the drain. Pretty simple. I only bother doing the wine glass soak to ensure shell penetration.

2 Likes

Debbie-
Looks like you will have your hands full for this second grow. I wish you great luck, and I will be around if you need me. I am gonna start my two in a week or two. Holler if you need me. Peace…

3 Likes

@Mark0427 @abouttime @Kinglouida13th @patchman @Hellraiser @Mr_Wormwood @Jaydawg6528 @Dankloud @yoshi @kaptain3d
The first two are up!!
Runtz was the first!

Crystal Meth was the 2nd!! She’s my first and only auto, also a gift from a dear friend.

I know it’s hard to see, literally she wasn’t there like 3 hours ago.
A-FREAKING-MAZING. I just planted them yesterday. I put them in the water Monday afternoon to soak. I just think it’s incredible. I used to have a green thumb and grow houseplants and veggies and whatnot, but growing this just doesn’t even seem the same. Used to plant the seed in the dirt, a week or 10 days later shit starts to grow. Or maybe it’s like how every mom thinks her baby is the best one, the smartest, cutest and so on.
When I got my previous plants, Sprout and Clara, Sprout was already named Sprout, and when I got Clara it was just like she said Hi I’m Clara. These babies haven’t told me their names yet.
So, I keep checking now every few hours to see what’s going on. They are currently just sitting near the window in my sewing/smoking/office/den whatever room. Now I can start worrying about the shells not falling off. I don’t have a steady hand or a good eye to gently pick them off. Hopefully I won’t have to

Also, re post #62 I’m already laughing at my last grow. It would have made an excellent weed sitcom. Tragedy and triumph, loss and amazing growth, sickness and health, lessons learned and camaraderie with wonderful new friends.

18 Likes

Trying to tag in some people, if you’re interested
@CalamityJane @GreenSnek @Gardenguy @sunasun @kellydans @KeystoneCops @BobbyDigital @Nicky @AfgVet @Calizona

6 Likes

Thanks for the tag , set to watch the magic happen.

3 Likes

That’s a crazy named auto lol!

Hope the shells pop off today, if they don’t might need to very carefully remove them.

6 Likes

Thanks, hopefully fun filled and action packed plus lots of good info and charts and stuff. I welcome all ideas and opinions, can’t say I will or will not use them

@pr @pillsbury @PurpNGold74 @PhillyRock @Davyg @Dang @Underthestairs @Growcoast @GhostGrow @JamJam

If you’re interested, welcome.

10 Likes

Tagging along, best of luck with them!:call_me_hand:

3 Likes

Here we go!
Good luck with your newest grow, I’m sure you’ll nail it

2 Likes

Thanks for the tag. Im interested in everyone’s grow. Like @Nicky said, crazy named auto. Good luck.

3 Likes

Ask away ill be running a round so ill be around with what i can help with. Thanks for the tag also. Happy growing. Check out my new set up to see how I will be running for pointers if u like.

4 Likes

I am tuned in as well. Best of luck Deb

6 Likes

Just set to watching. Good luck with them!

5 Likes

Thank you for the tag and watching :sunglasses:

4 Likes

That should cover the description of your grow, that’s for sure.

3 Likes

Welcome pr, and everyone else new and returning.
I hope so, the first time was quite the endeavor. It made it fun for me and I figure it’s a lot easier when you have many different opinions/ideas to collect and find out about things you may not have ever heard of as it always starts with one person trying something, a different way, a kind of meter, a alternative way of using or applying or inventing nutrients or whatever. It was amazing to me what turned up on My Leaves and I’m hoping for lots more of the same type of input and behavior. I’m not fond of those memes, but that’s the only downside. And fortunately I was not flooded with those.

6 Likes

Count me in. Good luck!

2 Likes