Debbie's First Shot at Seeds

Not exactly it’s up to them if they want updates. But this organizes/creates webs that are easier to track.

It’s up to them to change to watching.

I love the muted feature personally. When I say I’m out from something I can change it to that. And just completely forget.

2 Likes

I’m in as well @DebbieM :nerd_face:. I’ve done ok with the wet paper towel but I’m on to root riot cubes and so far I’ve not lost a seed or a cutting :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

Hey, just stumbled onto your page…
Having grown a couple pot plants, and vegetables etc… Ive noticed that seeds either grow or they dont. The whole paper towel thing is really an extra step and kinda pointless if you plan on growing in soil. In fact, it can be detrimental to the rootlet. Despite peoples best efforts to be kind and gentle, the microscopic root hairs penetrate the paper towel. When you remove the root, inevitably you will cause many to get ripped off, and potentially break the root all together. In any event, it isnt required.
Soaking overnight is a good way to ensure the shell has been penetrated by water, you know this happens because it sinks. After that, simpky placing the seed a 1/4" or so into soil or media… is all you need to do. It will either sprout and do its thing or it won’t. Personally, I find any seed that isnt vigorous out of the gate is probably not a great candidate anyway.
As it has been said before, there are numerous ways to get to the same place, but often times the simplest is the best.
Good luck and enjoy your grow!

10 Likes

@abouttime @Kinglouida13th @Mr_Wormwood @patchman @Hellraiser @Budz @Jaydawg6528 @Dankloud @yoshi @kaptain3d
Welcome, long time…Cannabian I think I should go thru my last grow and tag all the people who commented because I too often just read the journals and don’t comment unless I have something to say that might be interesting. What is your view on solo cups or straight into the pot?

5 Likes

Honored to ride along :grinning:

2 Likes

@abouttime @Kinglouida13th @Mr_Wormwood @patchman @Hellraiser @Budz @Jaydawg6528 @Dankloud @yoshi @kaptain3d
guess what??!! I’ve got seeds started!! I just put them in paper towel yesterday. I panicked and started too many, for some stupid reason I’m thinking they won’t germinate at all, I am apparently an idiot. The runtz and purple titties have visible tiny root and the purple titties you can see they are just cracked with that tiny bit of white, so tiny, Oh, Yippie!!!

14 Likes

For what it’s worth, I buy those jiffy pots and plant my seeds straight in them for a 100% success rate. I have always done it this way because I am not sure how the paper towel works :joy:
All mine are up with in 3-5 days…the beauty of the jiffy pot is it can be planted straight into their forever homes, pot n all so there is less stress on the plant :grinning::grinning::grinning:

4 Likes

I was thinking about that or like a peat pot but this time I am doing a solo cup, it’s a good starting place for my first time, but also I have nice clear solo cups so I can see the roots. I think that will be pretty cool as well as there being very little doubt as to when to transplant.
BTW: Nice to meet you, welcome!

2 Likes

Lol you gonna have a room full?

1 Like

Go with nursery bags. Peat pots cause more harm than good. You can plant these directly and they are easier for the roots to grow through than peat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08W1X7726

4 Likes

Lovely meeting you too xx

Yeah the jiffy pots I have here in Oz have a peat pellet that you add water to, throw in the seed and enjoy six months later

Gonna love watching your crop grow to harvest

Mine have just gone in as I grow outdoors and it is spring here
:purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

1 Like

3 tsp peroxide to 1 cup water( also expiremented with 1 tsp vegetable glycerine) soak for 24 hours in complete dark then plant 1 finger nail deep sideways so the medium can catch and pull off the shell ,medium should be half saturated. I get a solid 9/10 success rate. If you transplant do it the moment you see a root hit a bottom corner and I recommend looking into xtreme gardening sample pack azos( powdered rooting hormone also worked well) put in the plug helps them recover faster. Oh and water immediately after transplant it’ll help fill in any loose air pockets.

2 Likes

Solo cups are ideal… especially filled only half way. The idea about using small containers at first is to reduce the chance of overwatering and to make a nice healthy transplant. That said, there is nothing at all wrong with sewing direct to final pot… just need to be more careful not to overwater.

5 Likes

@DebbieM I’m here and watching/following, but may not always be able to say something hun!!!

2 Likes

@abouttime @Mark0427 @Mr_Wormwood @patchman @Hellraiser @Budz @Jaydawg6528 @Dankloud @yoshi @kaptain3d

Thanks, how are you? Is it nice living alone for you? Personally I prefer it, but everybody’s different. If you answer you can do it on IG for privacy

1 Like

Same here I posted in your other thread why I’ve seemed to have not been around
But I see all :eyes:

1 Like

I always start seeds in solo cups, just the way I like it but nursury bags would be good as well.

4 Likes

@DebbieM , I’m a first time grower, so idk if I can give much insight, but I had every single one of my seeds sprout by going straight to my grow medium - soil.
I started with those tiny seed starter cups. When they sprouted, I transplanted to larger cups and then finally to their final growing pots. I THINK I’m about a month away from harvest. The only one I lost was one that drowned during our “monsoon season” :joy::joy::joy:.
I grew up on a farm; never heard of anyone putting H2O2 on seeds for sprouting, but live and learn!

2 Likes

They have ALL popped open. OMG 6 plants, what am I going to do? A lot of work. I expect it not to be harder than just Sprout alone. I have to try to stagger these somehow like Mark said, or I am gonna be just swamped at harvest.

@Hellraiser You mentioned perhaps half full solo cup, what do you think of just this smaller cup? I was thinking to use these instead.

And I got this seed and cutting starter mix, this is the same brand soil I used for Clara and I really liked it.

I bought a Freaking Huge bag of Happy Frog for the transplant, some will be 3 gallon fabric pots, some will be 5 gallon fabric pots, and (1) 2 gallon plastic pot (I can put it in bigger if needed) to see if I can utilize most of my space.
So, should I mix some Happy Frog with my seed starter or just use the seed starter?

4 Likes

You could do either, the ffhf is not too hot so you could even skip the seed starter if you wanted… growers choice I suppose

1 Like