DE : could someone clarify this for me?

I’ve heard much about DE and use it, somewhat, myself. I have only heard one contradiction that brings this question…

How does water affect DE ?

It comes from the water and is fossilized. Processed by grinding (assumption) we end up with a very beneficial product. I read from one source (that brain cell is still high) that once it has been turned to dust the hardness is lost and it is no longer able to kill parasites by cutting them. Cutting is how I was told it worked. Is it dehydration that kills instead?

I was skeptical about water being an issue, but since y’all have given me access to your mind by reading this, I would look for an answer.

Fortune to all your grows

Diatomaceous earth causes insects to dry out and die by absorbing the oils and fats from the cuticle of the insect’s exoskeleton. Its sharp edges are abrasive, speeding up the process. It remains effective as long as it is kept dry and undisturbed. The oils and fats keep the bugs moisture in.

4 Likes

So watering will not hurt it’s effectiveness because of the dehydration properties? Or reapply after surfaces dry to be fully effective? Just wanting to be clear.

wet it, allow it to dry, it becomes effective again…it’s not effective till dry.

1 Like

Gotcha. Once it dries it retains it’s hardness.

Thank you.