Day 20, Autos Trimming Question

Happy Friday everyone!

I’m on my 2nd grow, day 20 since they popped but this is the first time I’m growing autos. I know that caring for autos can be a little different so I’m just being cautious.

I wasn’t sure if I wanted to top these or not but ultimately I decided to go ahead and do it. I think the plants are doing very well.
After I topped them the top most fan leaves have gotten huge, so huge that they’re blocking the light from the rest of the plant. Can I chop these big fan leaves without messing up the plants?
How much can I get away with as far as removing leaves and stuff with autos?

1 Like

those big fan leaves will feed the growth of the two new main stems you just created by topping. The only time you are worried about fan leaves blocking any thing is if they are blocking flowers.

3 Likes

In my humble newbie opinion, I would not chop those leaves and agree with @beardless. Rather you can make space for light penetration to the new growth by tucking them gently.

2 Likes

Both @beardless and @GoodMafia make good points.
Personally I tuck leaves with great success.
Later in the grow the plants will take the mobile nutrients from the older leaves and use them for flowering. So unless it is blocking a major bud site and wont tuck out of the way I would just let them be.

2 Likes

Makes sense!
I hate cutting any of the plant away and I’m glad that I don’t really have to worry about it so much.

In the same situation if it were flowering, if I can’t tuck then remove?

Thank you!

1 Like

If it will bring light to a decent bud sure.
I dont on those at the bottom that are the size of a dime.

1 Like

Do you remove those small ones that are towards the bottom?

1 Like

Every wound (cut) on a plant can introduce infections so I avoid cutting as much as possible.
The lower the cut the higher the possibility due to proximity to soil and less light. Think mushrooms.

1 Like

Gotcha. Great info thank you.