Darn - Buds not firm? What did I do wrong?

We’ll, my first grow is in the final critical stage. Harvested 4 days ago and drying in my Wedryer XL. I have my moisture meter and grove bags standing by.

Learned a lot and made tons of mistakes. Very anxious to try again in the spring (outdoor grow only).

• My only disappointment is the buds are not tight. Instead they are fluffy and light. Doubt they firm up during drying. Not sure how my moisture meter is gonna get a reading?

I’d guess there are multiple reason for the lack of firm buds including sunlight amount ( I fight shade issue late in day).

Any thought? Will autos have tighter buds?

• Seed: Do-si-dos, Photo, from ILGM
  • Vessel: Coco + Perlite, 7 gal fabric pot
  • Nutrition: Jacks 321 + Silica + Epsom Salts
  • PH of Water: ~ 59
  • PPM: 1000 - 1100 in
  • Environment: Outdoor
  • Humidity: 80+
  • Temps: Mid to low 70s (October)
1 Like

1 Like

What kind of light are you using for flowering? Also, tell me a little about your ventilation and air circulation

3 Likes

Like @Medicineman33 said. Some auto strains are airy I harvested 2 Jack herer autos that had airy buds that I’ll use for edibles, but it could have been 4 plants in a 3x3x6 tent. The other 2 were Bubble gum autos.

1 Like

@Medicineman33
Thanks for responding. As my post stated, I grow outside.

So, the sun is my light source and my ventilation is whatever wind is blowing.

I live in a 850 SF house. Zero room indoor for a tent. So, my only option is outdoor.

@Deepsix @Medicineman33

As stated, my plant is a photo. I asked if autos have tighter buds. Thinking it doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

No it doesnt really matter if its auto or photo so much as the individual plants genetics in general. The problem is that you cant control nature and this year has been absolutely crappy for outdoor growers from one end of the country to the other and top to bottom it seems. If you could have some type of small greenhouse it might help you out. I know guys that are phenominal at outdoor growing but if the weather doesnt get me, bugs and animals will. I hope this helps a little or sparks some ideas for next time

5 Likes

@Medicineman33
Thanks

I do look forward to spring. I will start some Gorilla Glue 4 auto seeds in early spring in a small greenhouse.

I plan to transplant to 5 gallon fabric Autopots in coco.

Hopefully a different stain, going auto instead of photo like this year and going with Autopots will be enough different to see if I can get density.

Of course sunlight, temperature and humidity out of my control

Hoping the short grow season on autos may help?

Anyway, anxious to try again.

1 Like

I like photos myself, but you are on the right track with autos outdoors due to their shorter lifespan you will be able to play the weather and season changes better. Im not sure on the similarities in flavor and smell between auto and photo of the same strain but i can vouch for gg4 photo very sweet fruity and floral

1 Like

Not where I am!!!

4 Likes

Not to worry, every seed has the potential to express different traits. I will assume that the plant was started by a seed? No matter how homogeneous a breeder gets his seed, there will always be differences between seeds. If you recall the big A little a big x big B little b scenario this explains why seed from the same plant may express things very differently what we call phenotypic expression. You could have planted seed B and got big fat leaves rather than long skinny ones? Or it may have been tall and vine like rather than a squat bush? In your instance one of these traits happened to be airy bud rather than dense. Its just the way the cookie crumbles. Thats why we clone the keepers! Then you can breed that keeper and hope to pass on that trait as dominant.

2 Likes

To answer that question, yes some strains typically have airy buds, such as Johaar and some African strains, but generally all strains can have airy buds and therefore its more of a phenotype than a strain thing.

2 Likes

Just a suggestion, as I also grow outdoors and need more sun. My plants’ final vessels are 15 gallon pots, which I place on16 inch roller platforms (Amazon has them). As the sun hits different parts of my yard all day long, I push the pots around to meet the sun. With the rollers, it’s very easy. I eke out 3 extra hours of sun for my plants doing this. Of course, if you work away from home you can’t do it.

2 Likes

@Debra
Thanks and I did a similar move to the sun routine early in the grow. I was using a 7 gallon fabric pot. As the plant got big, it was harder to move. I also live in a state that isnt weed friendly so I try to stay stealth. So my sunny areas are limited.

Thanks for the response.

1 Like

@HotAndHumid i also grew outdoors and live in a non friendly state. I found it hard to hide and as it got bigger and stinkier my paranoia set in. I also got shade 2/3 way through the day and suffered I feel from it. If you come up with a good way of hiding it and plain sight where it gets suddenly they let me know. I know someone suggested making a cheesecloth tent over but I thought that looked pretty weird

1 Like

What did your feeding routine look like? How much, how often, etc? I do agree that some strains are just more airy than others, and I also feel outdoor weed I’ve seen usually appears more fluffy than what I’m accustomed to indoors, you have outdoor and coco in the same post lol. Good sized mature plants in warm climate are going to need pots flooded with nutrients multiple times every day. Ours were so light by 1-2pm a slight breeze would knock them over.

3 Likes

I saw a picture of cannabis planted in a tomato cage in the middle of a vegetable garden with plastic tomatoes hung off of the cage? :person_shrugging:t5: it looked pretty legit.

8 Likes

Hello,
I grew Do-si-dos outdoors last year and the end product was pretty loose as well. I had crazy rain and Bud Rot ending my game. I too had made a number of mistakes. I ended up moving from a 15 gallon pot to a 20 gallon and that breathed new life into them. Ideally, they could have used another 10 days. I use a number of reputable brands for my nutrition program and have never experienced what can be done indoors. The quality is there with terpenes and so forth. I kind of have come to the conclusion that soil PH is the golden rule. The outdoors hands you experiences that you and the plants have to deal with. 2021 was crazy 115 degree temperatures. Not so indoors, a perfectly controled environment might be the main issue. Anyone out there of the same opinion that can enlighten and offer some suggestions?

2 Likes

I’ll agree weather was rough this year. We didn’t have the hailstorms but days of straight rain followed by days of dry and hot… Did okay harvest-wise. Lost a cola from bud rot and one plant infested with aphids.

1 Like

I stick fake flowers in. One… I call it Cannafloge LOL

9 Likes