Dark period before harvest?Ya/Na

I got 2 plants 1 is lucy in 5gal and I got sunset sherb in 3gallon both photos. What yall think on dark period?? Ya/nay

1 Like

Not really proven to do anything.

5 Likes

i personally run a 48 hr dark period before chop in hydro…its a fact that nutrients return to the reservoir in darkness…so why not?

3 Likes

Also what yall think about flushing I’ve been hearing different lmk @nodurxshn @Borderryan22 .

1 Like

some will say you dont need to flush if growing in certain mediums like organic/living soils but i personally feel flushing is a necessity no matter what …it pushes out buildup from salts, nutrients etc that your plant has stored throughout its life cycle…if you dont flush you will most likely end up with harsh smoke, black ash, unpleasant taste and smell. i personally use Flawless Finish to aid in my flush.

1 Like

Most recent studies suggest that it doesn’t matter a noticable difference in any way. You can look at it like this… it makes no difference so why spend money on nutes for the last 2 weeks, or it makes no difference so you can continue to feed them as you have their whole lives.

I don’t go crazy about my “flush” schedule in relationship to harvest time. I go water only at some point near the end and chop on the plant tells me she’s ready.

3 Likes

Would you happen to have a link to said studies ?
:v:

1 Like

You had to ask :rofl::joy:

I’m sure I bookmarked it. I’ve seen a couple (long) videos around these parts in the past couple months. Let me see if I can find it

2 Likes

This is something hellraiser posted That sounds about right :+1:

6 Likes

It’s 30 minutes, but had good info

2 Likes

Thanks @Bulldognuts
I do very similar to @Hellraiser when I harvest regarding the lights out. Appreciated brother.
:v:

3 Likes

Thanks for posting the vid brother. :+1:
First time I’ve seen it.
I’ll have a look see and go from there.
Got it bookmarked. Appreciated. :pray:
:v::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Glad I was able to find it. I bookmark more than I remember to go back too :rofl:

3 Likes

A lot of good info here including flushing and dark periods before harvest.

Organic vs Synthetic Fertilizers, Flushing, Plant Lighting & More!

1 Like

@Underthestairs Had a look at the vid.
Not to be the devils advocate but I would think of important note is that they’re a nutrient company in the business of selling nutrients. :thinking:
And the study was done with a coco perlite mix hydroponically. Assuming fertigation as they didn’t say how they fed.
Food for thought tho. Still not conclusive enough to make me not flush at the end.
Thanks for taking the time. Appreciated. :pray:
:v::call_me_hand:

3 Likes

YIKES!!!..we got plant killers in our midst…im off this thread asap. good luck :slight_smile:

I get that for sure. I took the argument neutrally for results. It set me at ease not worrying about it as a hard rule. I do stop feeding nutes in the end, but because of info like this, I don’t stress about flush timelines. I won’t adjust my harvest time due to flush windows.

3 Likes

Greetings and thank you for your time,
I agree with the flush if you put in alot of nutrients, by that if you are feeding every watering and the plant likes that amount of nutrients, I will flush the 2 weeks. If I see I can not push the plant as hard and back down to 1/2 or 1/4 feedings I will not stress about the full 2 weeks. Darkness ? I will chop @ odark thirty when they wake up.
Just what I am doing.
Thanks again for your time.

1 Like

Not really a flush but I don’t feed nutes the last week or two only water. Judging when that is can be tricky. Also probably causes wieght loss on buds. Maybe not though because they are eating what they have stored in the leaves
As far as darkness done some reading on this recently. My understanding of what I read. Plants send some nutes back to the root zone at night or lights out. When sun comes up or lights on nutes come back up into plant at a super fast rate. So basically you have to cut the plant in the dark to keep them in the root zone. To me it is worth the trouble.
Do 1 plant 1 way 1 the other. Taste them look at the ash do you see or taste a difference. Then you should have your mind made up for next time.

Yep, a nute company telling us it’s best to use more nutes. LOL

Makes me respect the nute companies that don’t do that more. Like Fox Farms and Advanced Nutrients and Remo that all include a flush or water only period before harvest.

I always go a couple weeks water only before chop.

6 Likes