Dark cycle before harvest

Dark before harvest seems to be grower preference, congrats on your grow!

7 Likes

Thanks, I do appreciate it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the vid. Did watch, and a lot of interesting finds to the ways we are told that are good/ bad are debunked. Going to get my axe as I type. LOL :rofl:

3 Likes

Darkness is pure choice. I just harvest at lights on myself with no changes. Many styles.

2 Likes

Congrats on making it through you first run. I bet you were very to proud to say “I grew this!”.

Sorry I can’t weigh in on dark time before harvest since I don’t think I have ever grown the same strain indoors twice and I had many light boo boos along the way.

Best to you growmie!

3 Likes

I will add a congrats also. I shut my lights off mid day before I harvest also. Just adds a few more hours dark. I have had to harvest a plant with the lights on my self. No one could tell the difference. I try for a 12 hours dark if I can. I agree. It is mostly a growers preference as to what they do regarding the dark time.

2 Likes

I posted pics on my purple kush auto grow a while back. 3 nugs before lights out and the same 3 nugs after 60 hrs in the dark. No noticeable difference

3 Likes

As much as I truly respect Dr. Bugbee…
The theory was not explained to him correctly, he is mistaken, there are lab results that prove 48hr of darkness works.

48hr of darkness is preferred, it makes sence, the theory is sound. I really wish that video spent a bit more time on that topic and the interviewer didn’t do this topic justice.

1 Like

I know what you mean. It was an interesting conversation but I feel like it was filtered though the lens of Mr Grow It there.

It didn’t change my mind about growing organically in my hillbilly living soil. I kinda wish he had emphasized the point about silica being abundant in your backyard, why bother with a shovel when you can buy it in a bottle I guess.

2 Likes

I didn’t watch the whole interview because many topics didn’t Intrest me to be honest lol.

Silica I think I did hear about, river water I think Bruce talks about.
No point in using silica if growing in soil, however silica is good to use in soil less because silica its self is so important.

Yeah the 48hr darkness was good intentions but delivered poorly… The theory is very sound at the heart.

Light degrades thc in the tricombs
Lights off allows the plant to use up its final bit of energy for the 48hr and Durring that time it continues to produce the last bit of tricombs and mature them to produce thc.
Without the light degrading the thc this leads to a slight boost.

Cannabis growers are all about squeezing the most we can out of every little aspect, growers have done lab tests and proven 48hr darkness is the ideal time for peak terps and thc.
While not a controlled study it’s more than anyone else is doing in the space currently.

Of course it’s a growers own choice but the theory is there and there is data to back it up

3 Likes

@Nicky could you point me in the direction of those lab results? Would love to look it over myself to research this topic .

1 Like

Here was my experiment giving her 60 hrs of darkness. Not much difference in my opinion.

2 Likes

I had this bookmarked, I haven’t dove into the topic in a while so their may be more information out there. Do some searching, check for studies through google scholor, check YouTube and let us know.

1 Like

Thanks for all of the insight from everyone. I am new at all of this, it is my second run. I did the lights off for the first run, but can i ask this question??? Where on earth does weed grow and the sun and moon say, Lights off for the next 24-48 and then, 7,14 even a months worth of cure time. what place on earth where weed can grow does that light cycle work in that manner? Please tell me!! Are we trying to re-invent the wheel. we can’t compete with mother nature, that’s why shit is fucked up now, and she is bringing the pain… Just my 2 cents…

2 Likes

I do a 12hr dark my self. I think the 48hr dark is like most other things growing related. Things get changed here and there to try and fine tune the grows.

1 Like

The weed you grow today is not nature’s doing, it’s been bred by humans. We have interfered with it.

Humans find ways to manipulate things to enhance aspects we want to, that’s what being human is.

If you want 100% organic natural weed you probably won’t find any, hemp is probably the closest thing to it.

Nature doesn’t always do things best.

2 Likes

Humans have been cultivating cannabis for at least 10,000 years.

The prohibition and resulting push towards “underground” cultivation are modern phenomena; roughly corresponding to the rise in political power of large pharmaceutical corporations.

One day we’ll free ourselves of all of this nonsense and start growing it in our gardens again, under that big full spectrum in the sky. Where it belongs.

2 Likes

Looking at the Chinese symbol for cannabis, they may have a solid claim on having invented the scrog technique. :rofl:

1 Like

I see the difference. I do at least 48 hours of darkness and then chop.

Ha, all very interesting! But now do you know that some people actually don’t do the 24-48 dark period, or ice treatment. But rather they boil the root ball and shock the plant into closing the stomata to allow for a longer drying period… :thinking: things that make ya go Hmmm…