Dankloud's Cannabonsai & Herb Garden!

Thanks so much!

1 Like

Np. I typically check in few times a day. If you run into issues shouldn’t be long before someone that can help will see.

1 Like

@dbrn32 so the lights came in and I got them working. A few questions. How do you recommend mounting the driver? I was just going to put it on top of the tent and have the wires running through a port, but feel like having 2 wires running straight from the wago connectors to the lights looks a little ghetto, seems like the driver might get hot, and I don’t think I can mount the driver on the lights themselves.

Can you recommend me a 2 core cable that I can use to go from the output of driver to the boards? Like the power cable for the input, but a suitable 2 core version… I can leave the driver on top of the tent, then the one cable running inside the tent, which would have 2 wires inside, connected with the wago connectors to the lights… Unless you think there is a better way.

Also, how do I remove a wire from the board terminals?

Thanks!

The driver will definitely get warm, and you probably shouldn’t have it just sitting on top of tent. Hlg ships most of their fixtures with drivers mounted to the heatsinks, and the ones they don’t are typically kits with intentions on doing so. It’s certainly okay to mount elsewhere, but also okay to mount on heatsink.

In order to remove wire from connector, you have to apply slight pulling tension on wire and depress the dimple on top tab of connector. Be careful as to not break the connector. It does take a little bit of pressure to get the wire to release. But too much and they will break.

2 Likes

Got ya. I will tackle this again tomorrow. Any advice on how to mount the driver to the lights then?

3 Likes

Should be holes on heatsink edge to mount diagonally across.

2 Likes

Dank I’ve got faith you’ll pull it together… I can’t wait to see it!

2 Likes

Was getting late last night so I might have been running on fumes, but the driver doesn’t line up with any of the holes… Tried with both boards… Guess these need to be drilled too… Going to be a while till I can do this… I am not drilling through metal in my apartment. :frowning: Expensive paperweights

1 Like

If you do have to aluminum is soft, just get a cardboard box big enough to work in the bottom.

1 Like

Bring it to work Friday…I can bring a drill and bits.

2 Likes

It should fit something like picture

1 Like

@dbrn32 I got the 2 single boards and heatsinks remember?

Feel like in my case optimally would be mounting it in the middle lengthwise on top of where they meet to distribute the weight evenly.

Just going to take up @MaD-VapoR on his offer to drill it at the shop. I know next to nothing about fabrication like this… Are there any special bolts / nuts I need other than them being the right diameter and long enough to reach?

Or I can just put it somewhere outside the tent, but I don’t know where I could put it. Maybe I can hang it on the rack behind the tent!? I could just zip tie it!!

Edit: Yeah I’m just going to zip tie it to the rack! Easy and less heat inside the tent. Should be ok? I have an idea on what kind of bracket I’m looking for to attach the heatsinks together, but how exactly do I find one that is the perfect size? Can someone provide me a link of what I’m looking for?

2 Likes

Could you use a single strip of black aluminum cut to fit that span and drill out where the board mounting holes are? I don’t know if that would have the structural integrity needed. Any reason you can’t hang them separately in the mean time?

2 Likes

I was thinking of hanging them separately. I just feel like they are gunna clack together the whole day lol. I don’t have the tools necessary to facilitate doing this ‘the right way’. I have a drill, but I am not going to drill through metal in my apartment, don’t want to breathe it in, and definitely don’t want my cat to breathe it in… It may not be an issue, but I am not taking that chance. I love her more than I love myself lol

I think I understand what piece is needed. Literally a piece of aluminum in an L shape, going length wise like this. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71ZoZ7POzAL.AC_SL1500.jpg Copy and paste the link to see it.

1 Like

I thought you were going to make a frame for them to hang like they were one light.

2 Likes

Ya. Get a piece of aluminum angle and cut to 2 lengths long enough to mount both heatsinks to and driver in the middle.

3 Likes

I can see those posts btw, it’s no big deal.

Making frame out of aluminum angle i mentioned almost a week ago, about post 143 in this topic. Doesn’t really matter to me if you do that or not, but seems to be what would make the most sense to me.

@MaD-VapoR you guys work together? Do you have resources to cut some aluminum and help him fab this? I get not wanting to do this stuff in apartment. My wife would murder me if I took over her kitchen or something.

1 Like

lmao…can’t hide much from the mods.

And yes…we work together and I have tools to do whatever. Aluminum is easy to deal with so no biggie. He just needs to tell me one way or another so I can have everything here on Friday.

2 Likes

I’m just going to hang them individually for now.

3 Likes

roger dodger…if/when you are ready let me know.

2 Likes