? Cuticle Replacement?

I accidentally used too much Dawn dish soap (surfactant) and washed away most or all of my plants’ cuticle wax coating. Is there something that can be applied to replace the cuticle’s protective properties without inhibiting transpiration?

BTW, I’m already researching less destructive surfactants for future use.

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure but I know a lot of folks use aloe or honey to heal wounds on their plants - I would probably start with a thin layer of aloe and see if that does the trick.

2 Likes

Someone here recommended Dr. Bronner’s pure castille soap. That is what I switched to.

2 Likes

Why are we using house soaps? Jw

2 Likes

I believe it is for the surfactant properties, micelles with polar and nonpolar ends and all that science stuff.

2 Likes

Correct, thank you JaneQP.

2 Likes

I love your handle! Gave me a chuckle to start the day. I can say there are days I think my plants feel the same way about me.

1 Like

Actually, I have no plants that I’ve succeeded in mutating quite enough to grow feet. They die before that can happen. But they do scream, "Oh crap! He’s gonna try to ‘HELP’ us again!!!"

3 Likes

The leaves were drying more every day so I sprayed them with undiluted aloe juice straight from the bottle. Aloe juice is already diluted aloe gel. I soaked them top and bottom but not until dripping. I don’t know if it helped but it doesn’t seem to have caused further damage. It may be my imagination but the leaves seem to have regained some of their suppleness.

Glad to hear the report. I truly believe aloe helps most things. Keep us posted!

1 Like

I’ve been gently brushing away dead dry material from the leaf edges every day and the damage has nearly stopped progressing. The plants lost all or most of their sweet spicy fragrance but those are slowly returning. With such low brix levels there’s no way the plants can grow and flower. They seem to be recovering but, of course, they will never be as good as they could have been.

The most painful lessons learned are the ones we never forget… unless you’re like me.
emoji-dunce-s

Oh trust me, I’ve been through my share of trials and stupidity. I also am prone to continually repeating my mistakes because I get lazy. Sometimes just not doing anything at all is better than a bad solution.

:v: photoperiods? If so, you’re in great shape. I don’t actually believe photoperiods lose any potential - they have every opportunity to mend, repair, and come back with a vengeance. Give them another week or two of veg time and they’ll be good as new.

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, these are photoperiod ladies but they’ve been in flower for at least three weeks so they won’t be growing much new leaf surface except maybe some sugar leaves. Oh… and I stressed them so much that they both hermied. Now I’m having to check for and pick off pollen sacks twice per day.

1 Like