Current led situation vs. better? diy led?

Cool! I will do that tonight when my lights kick on. Again, just so I am correct, I get cardboard and paint it flat white and reduce my growing space from 2x4x70 to 2x3x60??

1BigFella

April 8

alt ggr:
Do you rec doing that NOW, with about 5 maybe 6 weeks to go on current grow?

Not if the plant(s) are already using all of the room. But if they aren’t then go for it. At this point in your grow, plants don’t spread out much. Stretch is mostly vertical. You have limited light, so you want to concentrate it as much as you can. Now is the time the plants need a lot of light.

Hey Budbrother. Another good idea! Thank you!!

dbrn32. I reached my limit yesterday as a first timer. Did not mean to leave you waiting. I was bummed. To answer your question, I want to rely on your expertise. I think logically I should do whole tent.

1 Like

No worries bud, I know how it works. They just do that to keep down on spam and stuff like that.

I was only asking because I wasn’t sure about what kind of budget we’d have to work with. If you wanted to do something like quantum boards, two would be pretty good in a 2x4. You can buy a kit with two boards, or you could buy a single board kit now and use the other light you have until you purchased another.

You could probably do something like four 75 watt cobs for around $300 or so too.

1 Like

That sounds reasonable. Where do I begin?

Until @dbrn32 gets back to you, this makes for a good read. Let's talk DIY lights - #8 by dbrn32

3 Likes

Do you have a preference over cobs or quantum boards? Maybe hit up YouTube and check out some of the videos of each.

Warning: you are going to see that diy led’s are more expensive than the lights you can get on Amazon but you CAN NOT compare the two. I just transitioned to diy lights and reduced my electrical demand by half while increasing photons of the correct spectrum to my plants. The diodes used for those Amazon lights are pretty low efficiency compared to the newer lights. The nice thing is they are easier on the eyes, produce more light and no fans running!

2 Likes

I do not. I don’t even know the difference. I can research for hours and probably still not have knowledge to make that call like you do. What do you prefer? I want to be able to grow as many plants at a time as possible in my 2x4 space. I also want them to yield the most I can and have excellent buds all the way down if that is possible. I know a lot of that will depend on me as a grower(hence why I am here) but it seems to me that if I don’t have the light, I will have one foot in the hole before I begin!

3 Likes

Thanks for adding that! It’s easily misconstrued by power consumption levels and inaccurate claims of hid replacement value.

Where did you get that fancy sig?

1 Like

Man it all sounds good to me!!

2 Likes

Don’t worry about that, we’re gonna light the space as properly as your budget will allow. How many plants you grow will be up to you, and how you wanna use the space.

How are your fab and wiring skills? A cob build will be more complicated. But it’s generally what I prefer if there’s enough height to work with. It’s a more intense light source though, so requires greater distance to plants than something with the mid powers.

I think I can get a little wiring project. With the proper instructions of course.

I can get you that. How about building a frame to hold heatsinks?

Don’t be afraid to say it will be difficult, will just make one option better than another.

I really am not sure but I think I can handle the build. Is there a poss. of you building it for me?? That way I know it is right.

Ha, there’s a select few I do that for. They’re all local to me.

The site doesn’t allow us to exchange personal information, sorry.

If you’re feeling that way, how about we take a look at a quantum board xl 260 kit? Piece of cake to assemble.

1 Like

I don’t necessarily feel that way. My background is in building or rebuilding things. I will look at this video but the main influence to me is what you think. It would be nice if I were one of those select few though, haha.

1 Like

My Opinion that you can’t really go wrong with either is all.

Okay buddy, thank you. Your knowledge is unsurpassed.

1 Like