CurrDogg420’s Grow

Nice! My dad likes the VC defiance, he’s got two. I’ve got a Fisher knockoff in the house and a grandma bear in my wood shop.

The stove is upstairs though and I run it hot and clean. The tents are their own enclosed environment with filters on both ends. I’m 100% certain it’s the humidifier.

But I’m definitely here to compare notes. If there’s a trick you know of to avoid the hard water buildup I’m all ears. I thought about vinegar- I use a teaspoon or so of that in the pressure canner for that purpose. But I didn’t want to risk another 8” filter testing the theory.

2 Likes

I think the date stamp on our VC is 1979. It has burned a lot of wood.

2 Likes

2/6 Preparing for today’s garden chores.

I’m making some “garden smoothies” for the worms.

1/2 of an overripe cuke I was saving for seeds but forgot about
1/2 of an apple that looked like it had a worm in it
1 piece of moldy bread
1/4 ounce decarbed bud from alcohol extraction
some apple cores and banana peels
4/5 handfuls of the fan leaves I took a picture of yesterday
Anything else forgotten in the back of the fridge that looks like “a real winner” (no meat though)
Around 6-8 cups of water

Blend until smooth. I’m probably going to make up 4 of these, 2 for each of my worm bins. They’ll also split the spent coffee grounds and filters I’ve been saving for the past few weeks since their last feeding.

8 Likes

Here’s to gardening. I filled up a few 5 gallon bags, watered them in with Mother earth tea, ancient earth and some good ole FishSh!t. Transplant day tomorrow.

7 Likes

2/6 (continued) Its the end of the road for the strawberry and wedding cake. This is why I picked today for making nasty smoothies. It’s also story time about the worms.

When I started out growing my own weed, I went with one of the “organic super soil” mixes like you find in High Times. This was a basically a coco coir base, worm castings, some fertilizers, then water it in and let it cook for a month or 2.

I was mixing it all up fresh every time, and after a couple grows I had a bunch of root balls sitting in my back yard which I wasn’t quite sure what to do with. I was listening to some grow podcasts, and heard about worm composting and got interested in that. I was already using the castings, so why not try to make my own?

I started the first bin last September, using some of the root balls and 2lbs red wriggler worms from Uncle Jim’s. I had plenty of compost stuff coming out of the veggie garden from canning etc at the time so it was only a couple weeks before I decided to split the farm into two bins. I had more root balls and I had another empty 1-yard soil tote so,

Fast forward to yesterday, when I needed some soil to transplant the Banana Kush into their final 20 gallon fabric pots for flowering. I don’t have any castings to harvest yet, but what I do have looks lovely and it’s full of worms to boot.

So that’s what I used. I dig straight down into the center and harvest from there. That seems to be the richest looking stuff and it’s where I see the most most worm activity. It’s actually the warmest part of the pile as well. Add some flower blend organic fertilizers, and a dash of most of the other ones in my shelf, and we’re good to go.

TBC so I can add a couple more pics…

6 Likes

2/6 (continued) So getting back to the root ball, today is the reunion for my worms who have been deployed for the past couple months working the strawberry and wedding cake.

So what I do, is just like the original High Times recipe, but now with worms. After breaking up the root ball, I mix in some fertilizers, langbenite, and azomite, and then I top dress one of the worm bins with this mixture after adding the nasty smoothies and coffee grounds. I then sprinkle some need seed meal over the entire sandwich, water in well, and cook for the next two months.

Ok, now that we’re up to speed on all that, I’ll end with some with weed pics. I deployed the first layer of scrog today. It always ends up looking a little sad when you first do it but in a day or two I should be looking at a nice full tent. And so the garden is now all reset for the next cycle.

5 Likes

If I didn’t have a worm phobia I would try that!

3 Likes

Worm phobia?!? We’ll just have to see what we can do about that… Stick around and I think you’ll become enamored :heart_eyes: with them like me!

They’re Mother Nature’s original nutrition plan for your plant. She doesn’t do bottled nutes, and neither do I.

Personally I just love the idea that I’ve got little workers down in my soil there. They’re Mother Natures original gardeners! :grin: They’ve been doing it way longer than me and I trust their experience.

5 Likes

I used to go nightcrawler hunting with the neighborhood boys and we’d sell them to the local bait shop. Anyway they thought it would be funny to drop the bucketful down my pants - hence the aversion to worms.

4 Likes

That is terrible!! I lived in a neighborhood that had only boys. I was such a tomboy that the boys new better than to do anything bad to me. I would beat them up. Lol
I lived at my great aunts in Pensilvania when I was very young. She had two worm beds. I would play in them all the time.

1 Like

It is a quandary. Earthworms and forests are not necessarily the best match. Earthworms devour too much of the leaf carpet resulting in erosion and pour soils for other vegetation
In my garden and compost piles I am glad they are there.

Interesting, I’ve never heard of that. Supposedly, they’ll match their population to the environment and available resources. I’ve never heard of it becoming like an infestation though. Is this with non-native worms?

Mushrooms do seem to play a big, quite visible role in my forest. Certain trees seem to each be associated with certain mushroom varieties. Same ones return year after year under the same tree.

I guess I’m not too sure what the worms are doing out there. I always see them under piles of debris like leaves or bark or rotten wood. Just one or two though.

7 Likes

I think the biggest offenders are nightcrawlers. I’m not sure but I don’t think they are native to north America.
We get some crazy shrooms too. Can’t say I’ve seen that golf ball one before.
We have 15+ acres of mixed deciduous woods. Overall around us, a couple 100 acres.

3 Likes

You’ve seen the red variety I’m sure. It’s an amanita muscaria - the “fly agaric”. I’ve never ate one, if I was wanting an “exploring the woods power-up” I’d go with psilocybe cubensis. :grin:

It’s basically how I started to notice the association between the trees and the shrooms. On another part of my trails there’s some kind of mushroom that looks like the dinner plates from Alice in Wonderland. Enormous like 14” caps.

5 Likes

I’ve had this little “bouquet” on my dining room table since the schwazz-ing. Smells like a skunk, I’m not getting banana at all. :rofl: I’m am totally 120% here for that though.

She smells exactly like the very first bag of “good” weed that I ever got my hands on. I got it from this guy who I was taking guitar lessons from. Never did learn how to play…. :grin: At the time I accused him of bringing it over in his armpit. :rofl:

3 Likes

Very nice!

2 Likes

2/8 Some canopy work. I shifted the plant on the right, over to the center a bit more - there was sort of a “hole” in the canopy that was made a little better by doing so. Then I moved some branches around around to “better” squares - just trying to fill things in evenly. I also pruned a few “larfy” branches I had missed, and some fan leaves that were blocking a few I that wanted to keep.

This is the point when I wish I had smaller squares to work with, but I always seem to manage. I keep holding out because 1. I already have this stuff on hand and 2. I end up destroying the lower net when I harvest so I’ll run out of it eventually.

This time around I’m 1 row short on squares too. On that side (left) I’m just using some CurrDogg super cropping for now. I call it “doing our stretches”. I prefer not to “crease” a branch over if I can avoid it. I work the entire branch, bending gently every couple inches. Over time I can sort of steer it the way I want it go. Also I think, based on my gut feel with no data or science to back it up, it makes the branch a little bit longer every time you do it.

4 Likes

2/10 Just water for today. I had to share a couple pics though - you gotta check out this node spacing:

It’s like 1/4”. This branch is going to be a nice one - double tops, possibly BOTM contestant. :grin: If she doesn’t win it’s my lack of photography skills that’s gonna hold her back.

5 Likes

@CurrDogg420 Hey old friend…I found my way over here…in 2 years you never showed me all these pictures of your grow you sly dog you!

7 Likes

@Retiredoldguy !!! So happy to see you my friend! :handshake:

3 Likes