Curious, clueless & time for a stupid question

Hi folks! First surgery is over & have had time to think. This is my 4th grow & since I’ve been here we are like most societies. Weve got the have & have not growers here. The Have growers i see have the $ to build super grow rooms to sell their wares & the Have nots trying to make meds for self healing using whatever is available. I belong in the later class using 400mh & 400hsp in a trailer. When i first arrived it was electric. Now all i see is “Growing 10000 plants”, “grow room 18X18”.
I do understand for some this is a cash business but i havent seen more than that for awhile. I will still buy seeds from ILGM but feel the need to find a more like forum of healing. Not a forum for profit.
Oh my question is basically on paper my grow is through in 4 months (6 weeks veg, 2 weeks transition, 6 weeks flower) i end up harvesting 5+months. Is this due to my hps being 400?

3 Likes

I hope your healing well from surgery. I am hoping to one day have enough stash to experimen more with the healing properties for my medical conditions. I feel it has already helped my glaucoma among other things. I’m hoping to make some lotions to hopefully decrease inflammation. I know there are still some I see who are trying to grow personal. I guess with the progress legalization has made, it has opened up opportunities for some. As for me, I grow for me. Hope you find many medical benefits from mother nature’s meds :slightly_smiling_face::v::green_heart:

4 Likes

I have 2 plants I only have a 400 w hps and I’m gettin really good results I’m only using organic soil and fox farm trio and I was not using them right until I flipped to 12/12. I’ve been told I need 600 w light but I can’t afford it right now. The wonderful ppl here like @MattyBear @dbrn32 @Covertgrower @garrigan62 here helped me intensively and helped me make my setup work. I don’t see what ure seeing as far as mass production stuff I jus see great people helping each other get the best they can get out of what they have. They suggest what u need to do better. I have nothing but good things to say about this forum. @dbrn32 can help with the lights

4 Likes

While there are many variables in your current set up, the one of the first thing that stands out is, time. You looking to cut time correct?
I don’t know your exact set up, but if you have a separate veg and flower area, you can make this work great. You should start a few more plants after you’ve started the originals, to get a few going and harvest at different times.

If you have only one area for growing, I would try and divide and concur, making two smaller spaces to allow for two different light schedules this will make your in between grow times much shorter. You can start plants at different times, in one space to finish in the flower space.

If this is will not work, autos are the best solution, but not my favorite answer. Autos you can start at any time, and stagger starting them so you’ll have different harvest windows.

Another option is to consider hydro, as they’re veg times are shorter also.
@Laurap @Dman1969

In regards to growing, I grow for myself and a few others but definitely not for profit. I might grow more than I need, but none of it is wasted that’s for sure.

9 Likes

Glad you’re through one and doing ok. I’m sorry you’re not feeling the vibe here too. We typically don’t even help grows that and just send them to Latewood. While I would agree it seems a few have popped up lately, I don’t think they are the majority or even close to it.

Having a bigger light wouldn’t change the length of time your grows will last. Just maybe provide a little more come harvest time.

9 Likes

As you can see im in a foul mood and apologize to each of you. I guess in new topics i see its about large operations people & thats why im growing to be rid of the capitalistic side of the coin. I doubt ill ever live to see it legal here but even if it was i couldnt afford it. The old hippie in me has reamerged & loves the plant for the plant itsself. An amazing healing nectar provided by God.

14 Likes

I’m right there with you. Only difference is they don’t want us to have guns or weed here lol. I wouldn’t sweat the other stuff too much either. A lot of people don’t realize the costs associated with running grows that size either. So while it’s real easy to join the forum and ask what’s needed, making it happen is entirely different story. I have a feeling growers like yourself will always be the majority here.

8 Likes

Maybe one day we can all meet by the fence and pass one around legally.

7 Likes

Hey mate I use a 600hps & mhid in 1x1x2 and that is too much for that space and I got a 1.20x1.20x2m but the good thing about my one is I have different settings on it 240-400-600/630 so that being said jst go on the space size u got and take frm there
And also I grow for myself only And we’re i am frm is hard to do as well and no guns too Uk is hard for it but is starting to go easy on grade bless

2 Likes

Don’t get discouraged! I started literally with aluminum foil and shoe strings. I’ve been here since I started growing indoors. I’m not a major grower. I’m not for profit. I’m here to learn how to grow cure and properly handle God’s gift :gift: to mankind. I’ve learned so much and never intend to leave. This is a solid little community. And there may be major growers here but I’ve noticed none speaking of for profit gains. All about the quantity and quality.

7 Likes

Thank You Everyone for all the encouragement! Guess im just missing old friends here, hoping the best, feeling mortal.
My plants are my meds & my therapy! I have learned some super valuable skills here & want us to just be the very best growers on this planet! Ive got all these bottles of pain pills but i Always reach for some tincture & a bowl instead. Truly there is magic in this plant and ILGM has given us a window into its genitics.

9 Likes

Good to hear from you @Laurap and I hope your recovery goes smooth.

I started out with a dual 400HPS/400MH and have converted slowly to QB. I find the hobby to be very mentally therapeutic and helps cut through the daily stresses. Not to mention the cost savings of growing my own meds for me and the wifey.

6 Likes

Bang on mate that is wat it is about jst quality and big fat nugs

4 Likes

Please stick around and post your grows and mentor others. It would be a different (and worse) dynamic if you weren’t here to contribute.

8 Likes

I’ve always enjoyed your grows @Laurap, and I’m definitely a small time grower. I hope you do continue to contribute.

5 Likes

We the little people 2nd your motion of industrial growing parties. I’m not a pro. I’m not even novice. Just some dude trying to get high quality meds to keep me sane.

5 Likes

@Covertgrower, hi. I have a lame question but I get easily overwhelmed with to much info. I wanted to ask what I should mix with my soil for better drainage. My last soil mix especially on transplant to flowering pots seems to turn to mud when fed and dries really slowly. this impedes my schedule for feeding and drowns the roots. Suggestions. Thank you !:sweat::thinking::sweat_smile::pray:

1 Like

I’d say a little peat moss and perelite works wonders.

2 Likes

Peat moss can cause PH issues, but coco is a better option than moss, but still not my favorite. If you do add coco don’t add over 10-20%, then you’ll have to adjust the ph as if it were a hydro grow.

I recommend sand, and perlite for better drainage. Moderation is key to anything, but those two should help. @smellthat

2 Likes

Thank you both for the input…:+1::v::ok_hand:

1 Like