Curing question

What should the RH in the jars be at before you store it in vacuum bags? Also, can you put a boveda pack in the final bag and vacuum seal it to keep it fresher longer?
@Aolelon, @PurpNGold74 @peachfuzz, @elheffe702 @anon95385719 @Laurap @MattyBear @Whodat66

1 Like

I wouldnt used vacuum bags. They crush ur weed. Just jar it with 60-65% boveda packs :+1:t5: Dont forget to burp daily first couple weeks

2 Likes

From 58% up to around 63%. Anything lower will cause your bud to stop curing, anything higher will cause issues with mold. 61-63% is about the perfect RH for long term storage.

3 Likes

With the Boveda packs, they are suppose to remove the burping process. While I still burp the first couple days. From what I understand the Boveda packs are suppose to regulate the RH in a manner you dont have to burp.

Maybe I’ll try that with some of next harvest and see if it can be done with no burping.

I just popped my VERY small harvest. She is in there with a 62% i think. I cant help but burp her n get a whiff. 2 days n her smell is addicting

mine is smelling really nice. Give a nice strong high and smooth as heck… Gold leaf… what are others experience with this?

I just posted this on my thread:

"I know that at a minimum they will lose 75% of weight. My last 2 grows I tagged and weighed each limb or group of limbs as soon as I could. I weighed them each day to see if they were drying too fast or slow. I went by weight for when to cure.

Since I use Boveda packs, I wasn’t too worried about mold as long as it was close. As soon as it lost 70% of the weight I checked the humidity in a jar and it was close enough for rock-n-roll. Never over-dried it. I think with the vacuum sealing thing the mold is even less of an issue.

Anyway, it worked perfectly, and I plan to keep that technique until it proves questionable. :thinking: I’ve never grown buds this fat before either…"

2 Likes

I see what y’all are saying for a jarring and long-term storage but at what point in the Cure process from trimming and hanging to the point I can put it in my pipe and smoke it he he

As soon as it’s dry enough to stay lit.

:rofl: I have a larf bud I left on each plant just for that purpose. Here’s one now:

and I have a dehydrator that I set to about 90F and it can dry in 6-8hrs. Smokable.
With a vacuum sealer and a jar, I hear you can quick-cure in about 7 days. Trying that too.

2 Likes

After its cured i place bovidea pack inside a masin jar. Longest i had to cure was a month with AK47. Man this stuff tasted like azz for a month. Your curing makes for a smoother tasty smoke. They can last a year in mason jars with the bovidea packs as i have some & its as fresh as 1st day.

Just so I don’t screw it up, putting the Boveda pack in AND vacuum sealing it is probably a bad thing, right? I mean, will it just suck the moisture out of the bag as well as the flowers?

1 Like

Yes sweetie. Thats overkill!

1 Like

Lighten up Francis! :wink: I usually cure with the boveda packs, but haven’t tried the vacuum method yet. I was making sure my stoner mind wasn’t over thinking it,

I want to go vacuum seal an old boveda pack now :rofl:

my bergman gold leaf is so so smooth. no cough at all from anyone and a ice strong high . mild smell. i must have gotten beginners luck

1 Like

I wasn’t lying :slight_smile: I vacuum sealed a boveda pack. I was expecting to see sweat on the inside of the jar, but even setting on a window sill in the sun it didn’t! Live and learn.

Might be a good preventative measure against that ‘between-burps’ ammonia smell if you’re too early jarring it.

I already popped my Boveda packs in my jars, just as I started curing. Should I have waited to put them in there for another month or something? I guess I missed that one step. Am I going to screw up the cure this way?

I think the opposite. I think it’s a good safety measure. But it you toss a hygrometer in the jar to check the humidity, remove the pack or you’ll get a false reading.

1 Like

I was just questioning whether they should be in there doing the 7-day vacuum cure thing - and that will probably work as well.

1 Like

Thanks @Whodat66. I did, indeed, have hygrometers in there as well. I’m not sure why the readings would be false, but I decided to just pull out the Boveda packs, and see how it goes for the next few days. If all stays good, and close to 60%, I’ll put them back in.