Curing question

I’ve been curing my crop for a little over two weeks, opening the mason jars every few hours. The humidity is around 66% and the temperature is around 72 degrees. My question is, my crop still smells like grass more than weed. Is it too early for the smell to change? Thanks Joe

1 Like

mine does this more when i leave sugar leafs on…
different strains cure in their own way…do you dump buds out flat for awhile?
that helps some…hope it works out.

1 Like

Once the humidity in your jars is down around 62, you should definitely start noticing a difference.

3 Likes

Exactly what both said. Dump them one of the days u open to burp. In a brown bag and like sit a bit. Kinda extended drying. How and how long did u dry originally? Have seen some rush that part and it carryover to curing. Just had to dry again

1 Like

They dried for 6 days.

You haven’t dried it yet… your going to get mold… my smoke go’s into my jars smelling so ridiculous… your not letting it dry properly before going into your jars… guaranteed… :wink:

Should not smell like grass going into jars… still too wet… :wink:

:v::sunglasses:

4 Likes

I agree with @peachfuzz
Your stems should snap and break of main stem
If they are dry enough to jar
It normally takes somewhere between 7-10 or longer depending on humidity and temps in drying room
I personally like a nice slow dry
I also try to maintain no higher than 55-58 humidity in my drying space sometimes lower

3 Likes

@Countryboyjvd1971 exactly… long slow dry and steady humidity will give you super smelling bud without any grass smell… then you cure your bud … that means that you bring the humidity down even further without drying it out to much in jars , by burbing every so often… then you need to vacuum sill everything if it all gos well… :wink:

:v::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Thats Exactly my process @peachfuzz
Once I no longer need to burp i will vacuum seal
And check in on them occasionally maybe evey couple weeks breaking seal checking them and once i know they are stable ill vac seal and store in a cool dark place till needed

4 Likes

I actually put a hygrometer in the jars early today and the humidity is 59%.

1 Like

If one has airy/larfy buds with a lot of sugar leaves it has a tendency to smell more hay/grassy like.
Some smell is strain related.
I also notice that I become desensitized to whatever strain I’m growing. Have an impartial party smell your weed. Perhaps it’s just you. :grin:

1 Like

You’re probably right , I guess the best test is in a few more weeks. Thanks Joe

1 Like

That is a good point on excess sugar leaves
If you do leave them on your jars can smell like hay
I prefer a close trim before i jar mine
Humidity is in a stable range @ 58% @joe1

Did you trim them up close ?

Took off the large ones and trimmed the small ones close.

Joe

1 Like

My last batch of Purple Haze dried out too quickly. 66% in three days. I put lettuce leaves away from the buds,in a few gallon Mason jars, then restarted the cure at 72%. They came out very nice.

1 Like

@joe1 thanks for asking about this. I had the same problem with my last Northern light harvest. It’s been curing for a month and a half but still smells grassy. I did leave more sugar leaves on it when i dried it for 3 days. My very first blueberry I was able to dry slow in my canning closet then trimmed and jarred for curing. After 2 months she tasted and smelled great. I’m learning more everyday. :v:

I would put your harvest in brown paper bags for about 4-6 hours, and then throw them in the jars over night, and do it again until you are down to around 62-63% RH. Then when you get there. Start burping once every couple days. Rotating the jars daily. This worked for me.

I hang mine in drying tent on stems after trimming, let hang and dry in tent with 4” cfm fan exhaust and 4” clip fan moving air in tent for 3-4 days, I then clip buds off stems and I put in paper bags for 2-3 days with 62% bovedo pack, and then in mason jars for curing which I burp 2x’s day for 2 weeks then 1 times a day for couple weeks. I’m burping these jars and when I open every jar I mean the room is instantly smelling like weed.

5 Likes

Yea, there are so many ways to get a good final product, really it just takes experimentation and figuring out what works for you

1 Like

Does anybody have experience in curing with rubber tubs? I’ve seen commercial growers that apparently do that. I have five, big outdoor girls to harvest and the amount of jars needed is a bit much. Bins should be cheaper.

1 Like