Curing question new to boveda never cured the right way help

Ok I’m almost ready to chop this time I’m curing right lol…I ordered a 12 pack hygrometer set for one each in gallon jars sealed for curing ….I have 62 humidity and 58% humidity boveda packs ….question is after drying which I should dry around 55% humidity …right ? Then put in jars at around 70% humidity for a few weeks buriping every few hours …:then when I seel fully is when I put the 62% boveda in them
….and when do I add the 58% humidity

2 Likes

Maybe this will help. But rather than re-type…

6 Likes

Ok so I will dry the buds at 65 degrees is what I can do idk if I can get to 60 temp but 60 humidity I can do ….your saying dry for 7 days at those paremers ?

1 Like

The closer you can get to 7 days the better. But that is where the moisture meter comes in. You can use it to make sure you don’t over or under dry. Under drying can lead to mold on your buds, over drying will make for a harsh, acrid smoke.

4 Likes

Ok perfect so I’ll try and keep inside of jars 65-70 hopefully 67.5 lol …and leave them in while burping …how long to burp off in on ….like a week? 2 weeks ??? And then after is when u
You put the boveda packs in? And I should put it the 62% boveda first then the 58% boveda …the guy at store said it’s best to get both …so can you pleas explain the difference and if and how and when I shall use both ….much appreciated if you give any information thanks ahead of time

1 Like

Ok what’s the difference between the 58 boveda and the 62 boveda packs …when should I use either or …?

1 Like

If you are going to use jars, then try to get them around 62%. I don’t use Boveda packs, because I use Grove Bags instead of jars. But if you are going to use them, I would recommend they not be in direct contact with the buds. As for burping, for the first week to ten days, burp them every few hours. And if the humidity gets over 70, you can get mold, so if you are approaching 70, open the jars, and leave them open for a bit.

1 Like

Personal preference, as to how you like your buds. I prefer mine right at 62%., and always shoot for that.

2 Likes

So after like a week or 2 of burping maintaining 65 humidity I’ll drop the 62 boveda in them and and seal them ….I’ll try the 65 on others see what I like best

1 Like

Ok so I got the packs how would u recommend I put them in there without touching the buds lol ? And how long do they last ? Do I have to get them wet first ?

1 Like

Don’t wet, and tape them to the jar lids, using 2-sided tape.

3 Likes

Hey so don’t mean to change subject @Newt but have a ? For you. So curing in Grove bags got the big 1/2 lbs so I have 4-5 oz in each one. Trimmed last Saturday and out in bags. Also you placed 2 hydrometer in there, but they are reading 60% humidity. I haven’t had to burp them or nothing, is that right ? Or did I mess up somewhere ? 2nd time harvester used mason jars last time had to burp like 4 times a day first week or 2. Thanks

2 Likes

You are experiencing a perfect cure. Anywhere between 58-62. Sounds like you are dead center.

Thanks newt :+1:

1 Like

so what happens if they touch…First I have ever heard of this caution

1 Like

Not sure it would hurt anything. I just don’t want anything in with my buds.

2 Likes

ok…I get it…I had heard to not let Boveda stay in the jar for more than 30 days but never could get a good answer on that statement

I have used them in a cigar humidor. They eventually get hard and caked - and I suspect ineffective.

I have never had them get hard in the jar only in my joint case…I keep one in there so my smokes stay at the right RH for smoking taste

1 Like

Ya I’m about to chop

3 Likes