Curing phase tougher than expected

Am I just impatient, curing going wrong or my nose just use to smelling cannabis. I’m curing my cannabis I wet trimmed dried for 3 days. Buds still sticky but the aroma is not there. What am I doing wrong?

4 Likes

Good morning! I am pretty new to this growing but my understanding is that the smell will come while curing. @kellydans @oldmarine can y’all give some drying and curing advice?

4 Likes

Welcome ! That’s some pretty buds you got there. I like to shoot for a slow dry 8 to10 days. 66 to 68 Degrees. Humidity around 50 will work. But I do understand everybody’s environment and climate is a little different and can vary. After final trim jar up an cure . Also good to place the miniature hydrometers to monitor moisture level in jars. Burp the jar’s couple times A-day 1st week and less the The 2nd week. Aroma usually comes Roaring back during the cure .

7 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

@Flitme Them colas are looking good to me.
Keep burping everyday until your humidity is around 60%.

Veanic 4-Pack Mini Digital Electronic Temperature Humidity Meters Gauge Indoor Thermometer Hygrometer LCD Display Fahrenheit (℉) for Humidors, Greenhouse, Garden, Cellar, Fridge, Closet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GNMKYCZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4Y43Q371YA2BHJ1327C8

I use these Mini Digital Electronic Temperature Humidity Meters to monitor throughout the process. Keep them in your jar until the humidity is stable for about a week below 62% and above 55% humidity.

• Once you ensure your marijuana is sufficiently dried, it’s time to break it down and trim into small buds.
  • Fill glass mason jars or other airtight containers with dry cannabis, lightly packing to about 3/4 full. You want to leave some space at the top for air circulation: this will help to deter the growth of mold or other bacterias.
  • (Optional). Gently crush a couple pieces so that the trichomes break: this causes oils and terpenes to spread over the other buds and will enhance the final product.
  • Store the jars in a dark, cool place such as a kitchen cupboard, or in a loosely sealed cardboard box. The ideal conditions are about 64 ° F, with a humidity level of around 55% to 62%.
  • You’ll notice the marijuana gets a little humid around the edges after a few days: this is the internal moisture being drawn out. If this process doesn’t occur, it’s likely you’ve over-dried your bud during the initial drying process.
  • If you’re a home baker, then you may be familiar with the concept of “burping” your sourdough starter. Similarly, you’ll need to “burp” your jars in order to allow moisture to escape and replenish the oxygen. For the first few days, unlid the jars at least twice daily for a couple minutes, slowly decreasing to once a day, and eventually to every couple days after the first week. If you notice excess humidity or any moldy buds, remove the offending piece and transfer to a fresh, clean jar and restart the burping schedule from scratch.
4 Likes

Happy to help! :blush::v:

2 Likes

Thanks I really appreciate it. I was slowly freaking out

2 Likes

I did a 5 day dry with my second harvest, and then clipped the buds into a small box with some slightly crumbled paper. Sealed the box most of the way, left it for two days, giving it a small shake twice a day. Put them in Grove bags and they are on day 10 of cure now, and smell fantastic. Smelled really grassy just before bagging it up, but has developed that danky goodness more and more every day. Some of it will have cured for 8 weeks before I open it.

3 Likes

Here to support Grove Bags myself. I am in a desert. My RH outside peaks at 30% and over 20% things start feeling muggy. Consequently the natural RH in my house is somewhere between 20 and 50%. It took 5 days to dry out my bud (I was aiming for 10 days) and consequently ended up with almost odorless hay. I threw em into Grove Bags on the 10th of this month and they can’t seem to get themselves up above 55% RH in the bags (user error, they were overdried before they got bagged). But it isn’t going down any. More than that, though, they have begun to regain the sweet sticky stink even with my RH being below optimal conditions. Leads me to believe the cure is where the magic really happens.

Allow me to share a fun graph to support that there’s nothing to be worried about if your Skunk don’t stink.

5 Likes

Usually if they have 0 smell they were not ready

This is likely the issue. 3 days drying is way too fast. Not even enough time to break down chlorophyll.

3 Likes

U dried ur buds for three days thats to short of a time they need to dry for a week or more thats why ur smell isnt there

1 Like

Great tutorial @LateNightGardner.

1 Like

With everyone’s bud at harvest being of different density etc, so many variables to the dry/cure process it seems? I do like the 60/60 environment for a slow dry. Day 6 in my drying tent, and maybe halfway there.

@Graysin I’m not sure if I’m committing a huge NoNo or not, but I have a small plastic bin with my bags and a meter. I took a barely damp cloth and crammed it under the handle to the lid. I mean, barely damp, too. I put about ½oz of water on the cloth and squeeze and ring it out until it’s hardly noticable. Then I put the lid on upside down, but not straight so there are two small openings on either side. I have an oscillating fan on blast blowing the bin. The temp doesn’t get over 72-73. Rh is basically controllable with the lid acting like a damper.

1 Like

Can’t see why it would hurt. The bags “breathe” so they’ll essentially be pulling that slight humidity from the cloth into the bags, not at all unlike running a humidifier. I wouldn’t throw a wet rag on the floor and call it safe but slight moisture to replicate air moisture seems reasonable.

1 Like

I’ve changed the rag out a few times also as a precaution. I sure am getting tired of ghetto rigging everything though.

1 Like