Curing in a refrigerator

Made a post on whether my plant was nearly done and I got those responses! I was curious if I could put electrical tape around the mason jars (to block light out) and stick them in the fridge with the buds curing for 3 weeks. I have humidity packs to use inside the jars (boveda). I have seen many say cooler temps help preserve trichomes so thought maybe a fridge would be good. Would like to know more if anyone uses this method and if it’s safe for the buds. The lids I bought for the mason jars tell me temp and humidity within the jar. This fridge is just my normal household fridge.

I would leave them in another cool, dark place. The humidity in a typical fridge is pretty low (~20%.)

1 Like

I thought about buying a cheap used wine cooler on Letgo. Would that be any better? Since those normally can’t go below 50-60degrees

I think you are over-thinking the whole thing. You do need room temps to allow chlorophyll to break down into CO2 and water: that’s the reason for burping jars. Grove bags eliminate the burping requirement. Once cured the flower can go in jars in the fridge of in my case I put into a freezer for long-term storage.

There’s absolutely no reason to wrap jars in tape as the amount of light is negligible.

But it’s your flower; if you want to do it, have fun!

4 Likes

I didn’t know anything about grove bags till now! But did some research now and definitely bought me one :+1:t2:

1 Like

You’ll like them. Just get your flower as close as you can to ideal RH before going into the Grove Bag. A lot of growers are using them now and report good things. I have several of the “1 Pound” size and they’ve done a good job.

4 Likes

A wine fridge is better as you can set the right humidity and temperature

2 Likes

I tried curing like that years ago and wont go back to it. It will take alot of smell out of your buds and give them a refridgerated smell/taste

3 Likes

Gross. Definitely no thanks. Kinda similar to stale food left too long in the fridge lol.

It was like if you chill your tap water in the fridge in a pitcher you get that refridgerated smell to it. The buds still smoked just as good and tasted good but some strains were really pungent and dank to begin with

1 Like

Grove bags all the way!!
I did the jar and burp stuff for years, it’s a PITA, Add the dry weed to the grove bags and forget about it, job done! You won’t be sorry.

2 Likes