Curing cannabis correctly

I’m just wondering, if the humidity in my curing jars are all between 64 and 62 percent after 3 days of curing, do I really need to use boveda packs? I took them out for 8 hours and each jar is still between 62-64. Would my final product be better with or without the packs?

1 Like

I believe you only need to use them for long cures or when your rh drops below 62% or whatever your desired rh level is. As you burp your jars your rh will drop day by day.

1 Like

If your humidity is good there is no reason to use a Boveda pack.

I won’t cure with Boveda packs. They seem to affect taste and smell. Open the lid and let it air out if humidity is too high, or add a couple of drops of water if too low.

I do use Boveda packs for long-term storage.

2 Likes

I keep my humidity at 62%. I have boveda packs there but never use them. I’ve seen me misting the lid of my jar or sticking a fan leaf in there if I’m too dry. Taking the lid off and let it breathe if I’m too high works a treat as well

6 Likes

Great! So if the rh is between 60-65 %, I will go without the Boveda packs. I don’t really have much curing experience but I am thinking that as the months go by I might insert the packs if the rh got down to 55; do you guys think they should go at 59? Thanks for the great feedback.

2 Likes

I bought a wedryer and with masonry jars for after I hope I will be okay. This will be my first time so I’m as new as new can be. I also bought Boveda packs and I guess that’s for long-term storage. I read a lot of drying and curing techniques. I’m still confused and a few things because like in life nothing is a straight line. What am I saying everything’s going to vary a little differently temperature humidity. I live in the New England area maybe 30 minutes to the ocean at best… so humidity is a big factor here.
Thank you guys great post I like insight and hearing everybody’s insight and then I determine what I want to do whether it’s right or wrong. So far not too good but it can always be worse LOL
Also I was thinking about buying an i-power bud leaf bowl trimmer any thought on this

1 Like

That is genius about using a fan leaf! I’m gonna have to try that. I might even keep some frozen just so i always have a natural boveda pack handy :smile:

2 Likes

I like my humidity around 62%. If I get to 65 or above I start to get the fear. If you’re on the low side then a fan leaf works, a damp piece of kitchen roll works as well :grinning:. It’s a balancing act to be honest but you get a feel for it :sunglasses:

It works a treat. Another top tip from one of the team on here. Who it was escapes me, lost with the sands of time but a great idea :blush:

1 Like

It all comes down to what works for you in the end. My conditions won’t be the same as yours or anyone else’s, so finding a best fit is what its all about :blush:. If you are too damp, toilet roll or a paper bag will help get it down a bit. I’ve heard trimmers tend to take a little too much off but never used one personally

1 Like

Do you mean the automatic trimming machines? Seems like it would take away from one of the most satisfying parts of a grow. Finally trimming and holding that masterpiece in your hand, which is coated in sticky trichomes… Love it… Seems like a shame to just toss it in blender to trim it for ya :laughing: just me though

3 Likes

Thanks Davyg. So the boveda packs are out for now. And now that I have learned that a couple of drops of water, misting the lid, or dropping in a fan leaf if the humidity gets a little low; and I would of course burp and allow the appropriate amount of air if it got too high (which I don’t see happening at this point). The only thing that I am still unclear on is what rh is actually too low. From this feedback and what I have read, it seems that too low could be anywhere between 61 and 55. I know that everyone’s methods differ slightly but my question now is at what rh should I decide that I need to take steps to get it up a notch. Thanks again for the insight.

1 Like

Its up to you what rh level you want to start adding/removing moisture. You could be really attentive about it and add moisture as soon as it drops to 61%. Or you could be more lax about and let it drop below 60% before taking action. I think the idea is that terpines can evaporate when rh drops below 62% so you probly want to be the more attentive type. I’m guessing that your asking these questions in the first place because you want the very best product so yeah I wouldn’t let it drop below 61%. After all thats what the boveda packs do. They dont wait for rh to drop before kicking in, they constantly regulate humidity.

2 Likes

Personal preference takes the too high too low bit. Anything below 60 is too low for me. 64 or above is too high and I’m looking to air and dry out a bit :sunglasses:

I don’t mind the wet trim but dry trimming just too tormenting for me. I spoke to one of the lads at the shop the other day and he wasn’t a fan of the trimmers at all. He didn’t say whether it was a manual or electric :thinking: