Cultivating With a Feline

Yea gnats are a pest. Get some sticky traps and absolutely you are right let your soil dry out completely before waterings to help control

1 Like

Yellow sticky pads, fan blowing across the soil’s surface, food grade diatemaceous earth…

I’m experimenting with a heavy layer of perlite on the surface to keep the moist soil lower from the surface, but I’m not sure of the results yet. Looking to be helpful so far.

Cinnamon is also said to help if you cover the soil…

1 Like

@Sirsmokes sticky traps. Duh. My last grow we decided to try and make a “grow closet” because Wifeys dad(outdoor grower) said it would be better. So we brought in big basically refectant bubble wrap and I guess it has gnats because a couple days later I open the closetand I mean my soil was COVERED in gnats. Literally freaked out and removed all that bubble wrap, went back to my HVAC metal tape :wink:

@FloridaSon I’m currently reading your journal and saw that layer of perlite. Smart idea. Do tell if it works, but till then I’ll pick me up some sticky traps.

Much appreciated guys!

1 Like

Transfer went super well! It’s in its new 5gal permanent home. Not sure if I should water it or not? Used a spray bottle to get dirt off but that’s it.
Also am I supposed to water until I get run off ? I’ve been confused about that for awhile. Always thought run off was over watering. Lol but here’s some pics of it and the new home.

2 Likes

I normally water mine in after transplanting. If you moistened the soil it went into and the plant wasn’t ready for water yet, you should be ok.

If it was ready to water, definitely water it in…

1 Like

She’s too small in that big pot to water till runoff. That would be overwatering. Wait a week or two and you’ll be able to get runoff.

1 Like

Okiedokie! @raustin, I gave it about a 1/3 of a gallon and BOY did it like it. It has a perfect cone going on! But of course I pushed them down so the center could get light. Lolol I’m so excited for LST.

1 Like

@psychEDM, dropped in to check on your progress. Hope ya’ don’t mind me watching. :no_mouth:

1 Like

@JimDandy Always a pleasure!

1 Like

Not a journal update I guess, more of an issue. Plants getting taller. About 2 1/2 inches tall now and My BIGGEST issue with my grow box is figuring out a way to raise and lower the lights. I’ve got my 5gal fabric pot on top of a plastic tote type deal lmao it’s about 3 1/2 inch’s away from the light. I want her to stretch so I want to move them to 4” and I’ve drilled holes on the side for a pole to go through and they would hang on the pole on my last grow but I only had 4 lights then. Now I’ve got 6 and it’s the biggest pain. I don’t know what to do. Any advice/help/2-cents would be great! I will take all suggestions.

@raustin @Countryboyjvd1971 @BIGE i descovered today that I’ve got above ground roots? I just covered them up with a thin layer of dirt. I hope that’s okay? No more transferring for this one, so it’s not like I could transplant and burry it alittle more…:cold_sweat:
I’ve also only got one feeder leaf now, should I feeding her on some AN Micro? Like 1mil per gallon?

2 Likes

That’s ok, those surface roots are normal, just try to cover them with some soil. You can start feeding if you like, she’s big enough.

2 Likes

Can you use a second pole? Hang 3 on each?

1 Like

i’ve had that happen before…and did what you are doing now for quick fix.
now i put hydroton around the base to keep from washing out roots…

3 Likes

Yup normal and once your feeder leaves turn yellow start feed using week one of your nutrient lines feeding schedule @psychEDM coveringbthe roots is a good idea as well but dont be surprised to see it again down the road

@raustin Okiedokie! I’ll start with 1mil I guess. I’m terrified of feeding. Lol

@JimDandy omg…why didn’t I think of that. Lol smarticle particle :crazy_face:

@BIGE hydroton?

@Countryboyjvd1971 well f$&k a duck. Lol definitely gonna put it alittle deeper. Popped it in the dirt wonky so I guess that’s why. Lol

1 Like

Don’t be afraid to feed, 1ml. Will be just fine.

2 Likes

@raustin Will it be enough? How will I know if it’s not enough?

It’s enough to start with, then see how the plants react. Do you have a feeding schedule you’re following? You should follow the directions. I like to go half strength and see how they do. If you want to know if it’s enough nutes then you need to take PPM readings from the runoff. This will tell you how much the plants are actually getting.

@raustin fudgeeeeee I was really trying to push back needing a PPM/EC meter :triumph: I just started this new job and should have money flow with in 2 weeks. Any suggests for something temporary. I’ve got the Advanced Nutrients trio and I’ve got millimeter dropper. I do not have a feed chart/schedule. They confuse the hell out of me. Lmao