Psilocybin Adventures

Just an after thought…why not pile those beads or whatever they are in a corner so it takes less real estate. :+1:

2 Likes

They realistically don’t seem to mind the Orbeez much. Below you can see the one that’s pushing a water bead out of the way.

Shrooms gonna shroom I guess. :rofl:

6 Likes

What is the purpose of the beads?

1 Like

Intent is that they slowly release moisture to help keep RH up in the tote.

EDIT: I also assume that the substrate will pull some moisture out of them as well and help keep it hydrated too. Win / win in theory at least.

1 Like

That’s another option for sure. I made an investment if you want to call it that for a reptile fogger that works well for my little Marth tent I think I paid $60 for it on Amazon and it doesn’t raise the temperature in the meantime

2 Likes

I use a small humidifier in a small martha tent. It keeps the humidity around 92% so no misting is necessary.

4 Likes

Hey what’s happening Midwest you have anything cooking right now?

1 Like

I almost went down the road of essentially scratch building what the Gorilla kits offer.

In the end, I wanted to see what could be done with minimal investment in $, time, and space. I don’t need particularly large flushes so I’m trying to avoid the temptation of going deep down the rabbit hole (which I have a tendency to do all too often).

4 Likes

As do we all it’s not a cheap hobby! There’s so many different teks out there just need to find the one that works best for your style of growing just like when we grow out our weed!!

They were pins three days ago! That is awesome and I cannot wait to move mine this weekend.

1 Like

This has been FAR cheaper than a cannabis grow with this approach. MSS - about $20, Microwave rice bags - $2.50 each, Micropore tape, don’t remember but lets round up to $10. 6qt tubs about $5 each (using 2 at this point - one flipped upside down in place of the lid). Orbeez were a few bucks on Amazon.

Already had Lysol, rubber gloves, ISO, coir.

Going down the rabbit hole would have likely included a heat mat, reptile humidifier, inkbird controller, etc… would have been a whole different story.

I bought 2 MSS syringes, but haven’t even used 1/2 of the first one yet.

Yeah, all of the waiting is in colonization. Once the pop, the go! What I’d heard / read is you can pretty much expect them to virtually double in size every 24 hours until ready to pick, what I’m seeing seems in line with that.

2 Likes

Considering how much $ we spend on good lights, fertilizer, electric bills and the other miscellaneous sundries I agree on the fact that weed growing is more expensive but it’s definitely a close race when you go down the rabbit hole. I don’t even want to think about the $ I’ve spent so far growing shrooms. But well worth it in my opinion

2 Likes

Don’t forget about a pressure cooker, 4 cases of Ball jars, the good plastic lids, self healing injection ports, filter patches, pounds and pounds of popcorn and bird seed, pounds of coir, gypsum, vermiculite, light malt extract, syringes, needles, etc and I’m sure I’m probably forgetting the other half of the list of shit I bought so far!!! LOL but again well worth it in my opinion

1 Like

No doubt… We’ll see how this goes, but realistically, we don’t consume enough to justify going there unless a few flushes from the totes substantially under performs expectations. Easy and cheap enough to run a few totes now and again.

Wife is on a 1 day on, 2 off MD schedule at 100mg… I join in that sometimes and go deeper maybe every few months at most. We’ll see what I get from these but I don’t need a lifetime supply in a few grows. :rofl:

Also may be worth noting, this tub S2B was from a single bag of microwave rice as that’s what was ready at the time. Most people seem to use 2 for a 6qt tub.

I have considered agar / cloning, but again, that rabbit hole thing… I haven’t even needed a SAB yet and I know full well I would for that (not that its difficult or costly).

1 Like

I’ve had a lot of success with liquid cultures.

3 Likes

What is this topic of cloning? You can clone mushrooms???

3 Likes

Yes. All it takes is a piece of mushroom.

3 Likes

When you take that piece, do you just stick it in the medium, and it grows another?

1 Like

You spawn it just like spores. You can put them in agar or liquid culture.

4 Likes

100%!!
You need to take sterile practices up a level, but consensus seems to be cloning is the best way to go. MSS is a crap shoot with so much variability so if you want a more even flush - cloning.

Most seem to like liquid culture as @MidwestGuy mentioned or Agar. If you’re super sterile I think you can even go straight to grain. I’ve seen some cut a small chunk from the inside of a mushroom and go right into one of those microwave grain bags. Madness…

3 Likes