Crusty End - Question!

Hi Everyone,

As the title suggests, I’m seeing some crusty leaves near the end of my grow for this lady:

Here is a close up of the crusty leaves:

I’ve read that this could be Nute Burn or simply old age for the plant as it is 3/4 weeks into flowering. Can anyone tell me if I need to stop/start doing anything or to stop worrying if this is normal?

-What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed (photo or auto): unknown strain with unknown origin
-Age of plant/what week of flower: Week 3/4 of flower
-Method: Soil
-Vessels: bucket
-PH and TDS of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable): PH 6.8
-PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable: N/A
-Method used to measure PH and TDS: PH Sensor
-Indoor or Outdoor if indoor, size of grow space: Indoor - 3x3
-Light system LED, MH/HPS/CMH/Fluorescents, or other: LED - VS2000
-Actual wattage draw of lights: unknown
-Current Light Schedule 12hrs on/12 hours off @ 18-24 inch distance from top of plant to LED
-Temps; Day, Night: Day - 78; Night: 74 (f)
-Humidity; Day, Night (ave 46-47%)
-Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size: Yes - ac infinity cloud line T4
-AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier: humidifier
-Co2; Yes, No: no

Thanks!

Welcome to the community

I know nothing lol

3 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about it if the blemishes are limited to the bottom of the plant. It is normal for cannabis to drop lower leaves as the plant matures.

1 Like

You are definitely not near the end of your grow… You’ve got a while to go. Have you checked very closely for bugs? You’ll need a very strong scope to look.

5 Likes

Good point. I would expect 6 - 8 more weeks based on the appearance of the flowers.

5 Likes

I have had issues with whiteflies but I’ve used neem oil spray and diatomaceous earth powder to treat. I don’t see any insects using my camera to magnify but that doesn’t mean they aren’t there. I’ve been applying the combo (Spray on leaves/soil, DE powder on soil at night) every 7 days if that makes a difference.

1 Like

Should also mention that I learned my lesson with overwatering as I’m pretty sure that is how I got whiteflies to begin with.

1 Like

I’d chalk it up to the grow. I don’t ever sweat a leaf or two. Mostly because I defoliate and that leaf would have been long gone.

A damaged leaf will never recover. It may not get worse, but it will never get better.

See if you can move her out of the corner.

You might consider lolipopping her. Clean out her undercarriage.

I wanted to ask about your fan. How is that working for you?

Happy growing.

2 Likes

Personally, I would spray with either Cap’tn Jacks Dead Big or Dr. Zymes… however, there is no need if you don’t have bugs… the camera on your phone won’t find the super tiny critters (like russet or hemp mites or thrips).

Also, do you have proper drainage in that bucket? I would expect you don’t since I don’t see a catch basin of some type for run-off.

1 Like

@oldmarine, I had thought about lolipopping but wasn’t sure if doing that during flowering was advised or not. Would love to because she’s a bit bushy for sure!

1 Like

@Caligurl, that is a good call! I’d rather be too prepared than not at all. Any risks applying either of those products when also applying Neem oil?

I do have drainage in the bucket that I moved out after the last feeding due to damage. I really need to get away from these flimsy plastic catch basins from Lowes and Home Depot.

1 Like

I start early and continue up until about mid-flower.

2 Likes

I would only use one at a time.

@oldmarine @MidwestGuy @Caligurl I am seeing more than a few bottom leaves being affected. @RamenMan84 you said 6.8 of solution, runoff. Is this a runoff number or actual feed pH?
Thinking about what caligirl said and wondering about runoff and if you are checking pH & ppm of runoff.

1 Like

6.5 is the sweet spot for soil… . that’s measured after all nutrients are added. If you want a really accurate picture of the soil pH you can do a soil slurry test:

1 Like

After reading yours, and @Caligurl’s, reply…I think I know what is going on and the issue most likely me. Total newb move if I’m right :slight_smile: .

Answer to your question, with self-realizing pain, is that it is actual feed pH that I’m measuring. I have a meter to measure soil pH and always assumed, for no specific reason, that I would base my feeding pH (just water, water + nutes, etc.) on this reading alone. Meaning, if my meter said “too high” on the soil I would lower the pH in my feed to balance that. i am realizing that this is not good - at all. Am I on the right track here?

Appreciate all the help everyone - especially @Caligurl and @beardless!

1 Like

@oldmarine - the fan situation is awesome. One good thing I have going for me next to my light imo!

1 Like

Looks like its moving upwards…I’m trying to remember how that goes about ‘from the top down’ is disease and ‘from the bottom up’ is nutrient…not sure about where bugs fall in there…anyone,please feel free to correct me if needed…

2 Likes

It looks like something is also munching on the leaves.

1 Like

Yes
You need to ph your water before it goes in and you want a tds (total dissolved solids) meter to measure your ppm (parts per million) to determine whether or not your girl needs nutes

So two separate meters for two separate things unless you get a fancy one that does both like the apera ec60

1 Like