Creating Drought Conditions Increasing Potency

I’m curious have any of you tried to mimic drought conditions while growing cannabis like in the natural cycle? The plant will occasionally dry out because of drought in nature. I’m not saying extended periods of time. I’m saying if we let the plant dry out will she respond by becoming more potent? I know, of course the roots love an occasional dry spell. I would think the plant evolved to have periods of drought.

and would benefit from dry periods……

1 Like

Maybe :thinking: has anybody experimented with this concept?

My experience has been that a well cared for plant will perform best. Dark periods, stem splitting, ice baths, and the like have yet to be proven.

3 Likes

Yeah, that makes sense brother I’m looking up papers right now to see if anybody has research the topic in agriculture, but I have to agree with you absolutely… I want like a scientific paper review it’s hard to find anything​:joy: peace and love :pray:

1 Like

I found that……

2 Likes

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/333438844_Increasing_Inflorescence_Dry_Weight_and_Cannabinoid_Content_in_Medical_Cannabis_Using_Controlled_Drought_Stress

Ok some studies have been done….

Droughting is never good for cannabis or any living thing. Many if not most of the landstrains are much more drought tolerant. But like most things man screws with in a half ass way the drought tolerance weed had naturally as well as pest defense has been ruined by so called breeders in the current candy ass crap fufu hybrid weed strains. Droughting a cannabis plant out hurts cell structure of the plant from the roots to the top kola. It also damages microbes and enzymes in the soil and coco. Yes coco can and will support a bio load if you seed for it be it organic or syn ferts. Weed according to the lab reports and marketing idiots is already stronger and more potent than it ever as been. BUT you have to concentrate it to get as stoned as good old Thai weed from the old days. Why are folks still trying to push a rock up hill?

4 Likes

During one of my grows last winter, I tried the following technique. And it really seemed to work. A few details about the set up first.
In a 2x3 tent. Two plants in 5 gal fabrics bags with soil, and a four day watering cycle. A 130 watt LED overhead, and 12 two foot T5s side lights. The tent has both intake and exhaust fans, and both are on speed controls. The speed controls make it easy to set the tent pressure to negative, positive, or equal. Just by changing the intake fan speed. Also the winter temperatures and humidity made it possible to maintain a 1.5 transpiration rate on the VPD chart during flowering.
After noticing that the plants looked droopy after watering/feeding. I thought that it would be possible to copy the changes in barometric pressure and weather. Here is the Ickey Technique:
Day 1 wet day, morning water plants to a good run off, set tent pressure to a slight negative pressure, reduce overhead light to 75%, and turn off 1/2 of side lights. This like a rainy day with a falling pressure.
Day 2 drying day, set the tent pressure to equal, bring lights back to 100% output. This is like a sunny day with the pressure rising.
Day 3&4 dry days, set tent pressure to a slight positive pressure, lights 100%. This is like a sunny day with high pressure.
I started this on about the second of flowering.Then repeated this through out flushing. The plants seemed to really like this effort to bring a little of the outdoors to the indoor grow. This was the best tasting and smelled better than anything that I have done in the last few years.

2 Likes

Damn Ickey… that Ickey technique is tight…… thank you so much for that information, brother I think there’s something to the coldness at the end of the season peace and love. I’m gonna try your technique no shit peace and love brother.
Thank You :pray: for info……

1 Like

It’s so amazing to mimic the outside, but indoors we do control every aspect of the grow indoors. You can mimic the outside that’s amazing.!!! DUDE you blew my mind……

You are very welcome my friend.
I truly believe that plants receive signals from changes in barometric pressure just like wildlife or people. It just seemed to make sense that this technique would provide some beneficial stress to the plants.

1 Like

I have two tents. The plants in both appeared happier when I added an intake fans, and brought the negative pressure up.
Has anyone else noticed this?

1 Like

3 Likes

I feel like you and I both, had eaten the same double dipped blotter that came out of the missile silo in the 90s…….Peace and Love

3 Likes

That is VERRRRRRY possible.

1 Like