Cracked 2 but one grew

I read similar posts on this but with some slight differences. I started 2 seeds the same day, the same way. Dropped a White Widow and an AK47 in shot glasses. The AK sank immediately, the WW I had to give it a poke after 8 hours and it sank. I then set them under a coffee mug with a light hanging over them for some heat. It wasn’t long and both seeds cracked but the AK had a bit longer tap root, the WW was cracked and I could see some white. I planted both in plain potting soil (no fertilizer, etc.) in solo cups with a 28 Watt cfl and a plastic dome over them. Soil is ph 6.3/6.5, water also in that range. The AK47 poked it’s head up somewhere around the 3rd day and now has 2 true leafs. I am on day 8 and the WW has not been seen. Today I uncovered the seed very gently and the seed looks the same as the day I put it in the soil. Is it dead? Or is there something to try before trying another seed?

2 Likes

Many growers I’ve seen on here uses Hydrogen Peroxide to help crack the seeds. I’ve never done it at all. As I don’t do that, I forgot how much you need to put in water and the seed.

And welcome to the community.

2 Likes

I do about 6-10 drops in a shot glass. Doesn’t take much.

3 Likes

I’d put it back in the soil, and keep it moist, but not wet. Sometimes it just takes a while. Give it a few weeks, total, and if you still don’t see anything I’d call it then. I soak mine in a shot glass of tap water with a drop or three of H2O2 24 hours or until they sink, even if it takes a little nudge to help them, whichever happens first. Then they go into a solo cup until they outgrow it. They usually germinate within a few days, but I’ve seen stragglers take longer.

2 Likes

Thank you to everyone for the responses. The seed appeared to be cracked so is everyone thinking it has maybe not cracked open or maybe not enough and the H2O2 will help it to open more? Right now it is in the soil and I am keeping it warm, is it ok to pull it out and try the soak again or better to just leave it. Will definitely try the H2O2 on my next ones.

2 Likes

If it’s cracked, you can leave it, it’ll sprout where you placed. As long as it’s warm (80°-85° approximately) And 80%+ humidity you should be good.

2 Likes

OK, I’ll let it simmer then and see where it goes. Thanks on the advice.

2 Likes

Also, welcome to ILGM! :v:

2 Likes

Wow, my tent was sitting at 70°/72° so I got a little heater to get the temp up to 80° hoping to get my WW to sprout but all I accomplished was having my good looking AK take a turn for the worse. I set the heater and made sure it was kicking in and out and holding about 80°. We left for the evening to spend with friends and when we returned 5 hours later it looks like the AK47 committed suicide (temp was at 80°). The luscious 2 true leaves it had are now yellow and wilted, what a disappointment. I shut down the heater and I am hoping the AK recovers or I am starting over from scratch. I guess I would have been better off just writing off the WW and letting the AK keep on keepin on. Now I’m in a wait n see mode to see what I can salvage. I guess the heat change was too much stress for the sprouted AK?

I really think this is easier than what it has become. I have planted many plants and pretty much let mother nature run it’s course with good success, & now trying to influence the grand scheme of things I may have messed it up…

2 Likes

So I decided to start over with two new seeds using another AK47 and a White Widow. So far the seeds have done exactly the same thing as the first set. They have been soaking for 22 hours. The HK47 cracked and sprouted a nice little tap root. The White Widow looks like it’s doing nothing. At 2:00 pm I moved the HK into a solo cup and will leave the WW soaking. The only difference this is time is both seeds stayed floating. If the end result on the WW is the same as the first I’ll be thinking that I have a bad batch of White Widow seeds here. I know its early and I’ll give it time but the difference is amazing. I put their pics up so if something jumps out at anyone please let me know.

1 Like

And I know the water looks dirty in the WW glass but that is actually under the glass on the table I have them sitting on.

The heat may have been too direct on the plant. Hard to say. I would heat the room the tent is in, so it can draw in warmer air, rather than putting the heater in the tent. I live in the desert though, and have never needed to add heat, so there’s that. The AK seeds may just be bad seeds. Where did you buy them? You might be able to contact them and get replacements or a refund. I don’t see anything jumping out about them though.

1 Like

The seeds are from ILGM. I’m pretty sure the heat change is what did in the first HK47 plant I actually had going, and that was my fault, someone suggested I try a higher heat (80°) to get the WW seed to pop but I should have separated the sprouted plant out. The room is my basement so it’s a pretty stable 68° and would be hard to heat the whole area. I was using a 100 Watt bulb which brings the tent up to 71° and hanging it over the soaking seeds keeps them nice and warm. The seed hatching is what seems off. I’ll leave it soak and see if I get some definite opening, but the first White Widow seed I tried is a dud. I even have some H2O2 in the water this time to try and help. I will see what happens with this seed before I get a hold of anyone for replacements. Thanks again.

1 Like

Ha, just realized I was calling my AK47 an HK47, newbie… HK47 would be a cool strain name if you’re into Star Wars I guess.

Anyway, I am still having no luck getting the White Widow seeds to do anything. The first one has a hole in the end, looks hollow and nothing ever sprouted. On the 22nd I started another WW and it shows no signs of opening, looks like its right out of the bag I got it from, while the AK47 I started at the same time has almost 4 true leaves now. I’ll keep working on that 2nd WW & hopefully it will pop. Today I pulled out another WW and this time I am using a jiffy peat pellet, no seed soaking, nothing. And I guess it’s time to get a hold of customer service. :unamused:

1 Like

No sweat, sometimes it happens. They should get you fixed up.

1 Like

AK47 after 8 days. The stem looks a bit thin at the soil. Is this pretty normal? I moved a fan closer and now have some movement in the plant. Would building up some soil around that spot be a good idea or best just to leave it?

1 Like

When you pot up you can bury the stem, almost all the way up to the cotyledons. I wouldn’t worry too much, yet, but try not to overwater. They only need a tiny little bit at a time at this age. You could definitely ‘mound’ up the soil around the stem a little bit if the little girl wants to fall over. The fan is a good idea, but make sure it’s not directly on them. You want them to just wiggle a little, not wag in the breeze. Try pointing the fan away from them and letting the air being drawn in by the fan be pulled across them, rather than blowing right on them.

2 Likes

I use a spray bottle and just spritz the top soil until its moist - mostly in the mornings. If it seems to dry out I will spritz it again in the afternoon. Maybe I’ll stop that one for a while, just read up on how they need the dry time too. I also do like you say with the fan, just have a little wiggle on it. It seems pretty strong but it’s getting even more leaves pretty quickly so it may become an issue. I think I will build it up a little just to get ahead of it. Thanks for the input!

So I got 5 new White Widow seeds from ILGM (great no hassle service!). I tried popping a seed and viola, she sprouted a tap root in about 36 hours. Moved it into soil and just under 5 days I have my WW going. My AK47 is about 20 days ahead so I probably should have waited but I wanted to make sure I was germinating the right way. I guess I’ll have to veg that one a little longer unless the WW catches up.

I do have a question about transplanting since the AK47 is about ready to move. I’ve read pretty much everything I could find about watering but I’m not sure how wet/dry the soil should be in the bigger container when I move from the solo cup. Should I be getting the soil damp in layers as I fill the pot or do I hold off until the plant is in place and just water it in? I guess in other words how deep should the soil be moist to start off?

Pic of the new White Widow.

2 Likes

I put the medium in the pot it’s going into, and water it with just plain reverse osmosis water (+cal/mag if it’s coco) same as if a plant was living in it, pretty wet. Then once whatever is going to run off, runs off, I leave it about that wet. You don’t want the roots to hit any dry spots in the medium you’re going into.

2 Likes