Could use some advice first time grower

Hello all first time grower here and would really appreciate some advice. I have 2 Super Lemon Haze autos germinated about a week apart. The first one sprouted on January 28th and the second on February 3rd. They were both doing fine until a week ago i noticed yellow spots on the lower leaves of my younger auto. The next day the yellow spots had spread and i noticed a few on my older plant. Tried giving them both a half dose of calmag and cut the damaged leaves off. Thought theyre both doing better but 2 days ago the younger plant has the symptoms again and its spreading to more leaves. The older plant isnt showing any signs and seems to be better.

• Growing in 3 gallon fabric bags
with miraclegro potting soil combined with natures living soil autoflower mix based on their instructions.

• PH of water has been kept at a constant 5.8-6.2 with the soil ph currently around 6.4-6.7

• Using a 2x4 grow tent with 2 KingLED 1000w lights spaced at 12 inches above the canopy. Humidity levels kept between 65-70% the first 2 weeks then lowered and kept at 40-50%. Temperatures kept between 70 and 80. Have a carbon filter inline duct fan for venting and 2 smaller fans to help with airflow.

How are you checking your input ph ? Drops ?
Digital meter
Soil ph are u using a 3 way probe style or using a digital meter and checking run off that way.

Soil requires 6.5 - 6.8 ph in for best results.
The soil reading at 6.4 - 6.7 leads me to believe that there’s some adjuster in it geared for cannabis.

The 5.8-6.2 you’ve been adding is for a soilless medium like pro mix or coco or if using hydro.

And welcome to the neighborhood. @ganjadude :+1:

:v::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, im using a cheap digital ph pen and ph test liquid for the water readings and a diy soil test kit for the soil reading. Ah good to know. I think the soil ph is 6.4-6.7 anyways. The color of the water when i test the ph is slightly yellow with a green tint

Should i be testing the water run off? Whenever i water them i hardly get run off if any at all. I water them with 1000ml of water each and wait for the soil to get relatively dry before watering. Sorry im new to this stuff and thanks again

1 Like

@ganjadude If it’s this you likely will have ph issues thru the grow.
It’s not very cannabis friendly. Ph is usually adjusted higher for house plants Not so much for cannabis.

https://www.google.ca/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjlop_106v2AhXO-sgKHelHDt8YABADGgJxdQ&sig=AOD64_2LonqiLKbKXdHUdR4wlusmkZZqNg&adurl&ctype=5&ved=2ahUKEwijgJH106v2AhXmuLMKHdRGDucQn4YIegQIAhAY

Says it Feeds for 6 months so lots of time release nutes in it released each time you water too.

If the younger one was staying too wet it could cause this too.
Wetter longer releasing more nutes.
Just a thought.

2 Likes

Yep thats the stuff im using :sweat_smile: So im probably looking at nutrient lockout from too high of soil ph? Either that or nutrient burn from the time release nutrients in the soil? I just read that foxfarm ocean forest is a good soil for cannabis, is that right?

3 Likes

Yes. Fox farms is a good one.
Bit hot for seedlings first off but good otherwise.
Just needs water only for the first 4-6 weeks depending on plant growth.
I’ve seen where you will probably have to add a bit of cal and mag in early flower tho.
Just something to be aware of.
:v:

3 Likes

Any tips on what do from here? Is transplanting to less hot soil an option? Would a flush with 6.5 ph water have any effect on the ph of the soil?

I wonder if I can get a small bottle of sledgehammer or Flora kleen and flush the soil out real well and start with a nute feeding line. Let’s wait and see if there is a flush solution to rid of the miracle grow nutes from the soil to where u can add canna friendly nutes. If not leave them go and start some new plants for urself. Get u some jacks 321 and some coco coir for the medium almost too good to be true to grow in coco as it’s hard to F up a coco grow unless u don’t add nutes lol. Any issues r easily washed away and follow thru with a good feed bad about coco is it needs a watering atleast once a day to not let it dry out at all. Other than it’s like growing in hydro

3 Likes

@ganjadude
Sorry I dropped off on you last nite. Long day. :wink:

Yes. You can do this. It’s a bit tricky after roots get established but doable. Just have to be careful to not break too many roots during the process.
Could cause some transplant shock

Washing them off gently in a bucket by plunging up and down works.

My biggest concern with flushing is the potential release of more nutes from the time release already in the soil.
It may bring it down to 6.5 but it will most likely slide back out of range pretty quickly.

I use pro mix and control all my inputs.
Nothing else other than some perlite ( an aerator ) and ph adjuster ( dolomite lime ) in it.
That way I know what they’re getting for food.
The Ocean Forest should work well for you if you decide to wash them and transplant.

And as Mark said above. Coco is another option.
Not familiar with the jacks nutes tho.

Good luck with your decision. :pray:

2 Likes

:point_up_2::point_up_2: good point and uncontrollable :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies, and no problem i fell asleep myself haha. Alright so ill probably leave them as is and maybe cut back on watering the younger one as much. So does coco coir with perlite mix at 70/30 ratio with clay pebbles at bottom for better drainage sound good? These are the nutrients i have

No need to add all that to coco, It drains easily on it’s own. I personally love coco, easy to grow in and adjust as needed. Looks like you have a full nutrient setup, just get it dialed in. I use Jacks 321 but I’m sure you can find material for this lineup.

2 Likes

Looks like they’re getting worse. Going to transplant into coco tomorrow or the next day before they get too far into flower, wish me luck :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

1 Like

I took s brand new bag of FFOF top dressed with FFHF and I have had 2 successful grows in the same soil. I fed the first plant for 1 week. The current I fed back in December.

I used to say the 4 to 6 week rule. From what I gather is the smaller the plant, the longer the nutrients stay in the soil.

I forgot to mention both grows was Indicas. If it was a Sativa, 6 weeks tops.

2 Likes

Transplanted the smaller girl into double buffered coco with perlite after rinsing her roots off and started 2 new ones in coco. The bigger one i left in the soil, she seems to be droopy but besides that looks ok. All 4 are super lemon haze autos from ilgm.

1 Like

Just remember to feed and water daily, coco is a neutral medium. I’d cut off the affected leaves, they will never rebound. Remember the calmag and silicon.

2 Likes