Could Use Help Timing Preharvest Flush

Hello, so in short I have no idea what I’m doing. I’m working on my first grow (in coco) and the first plant is nearing harvest. I plan to flush but I honestly don’t know when to start it and/or if I do a “full flush” every 2 days until its “done”? Anyways, I seem to have a hard time getting a good look at the trichs but I noticed about half the pistols changing color.
If I had to guess I’d say it’s maybe 34-42days into flower out of 55-65 so if flushing takes 2 weeks I’m thinking I should start now? But again that’s a complete guess. I’m just trying not to harvest too early so really any help would be appreciated.
I’m not sure how people get such clear pictures of their plants and trichs but hopefully these are half way decent.

I also just wanted to say Thank You! Everyone has been very nice and quite helpful throughout :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Tough to see the state of the trichs. You need higher magnification. From the state of the pistils you still have a way to go. Those should be 95% spent (orange). The largest gain of weight and potency are the last few weeks, so don’t be impatient and chop to early.

2 Likes

I would only flush for a week in coco, so if you can start that when you see mostly cloudy with a few amber trichomes, that should be about right :v::bear:

5 Likes

Yeah, I use a 30x to try an look at them but I also have a 60x and 120x pocket microscope. I can just never see them clearly between how small they are and how shaky I am trying to focus seems impossible so I didn’t know if there’s any other way to tell how close they’re getting?

1 Like

I bought the microscope below. I will say there is a learning curve to using it. I tried it through WiFi to my iPad but the pictures always became pixilated and unusable. I have since hooked it up directly to my laptop and the pictures are 100% better. I also use duct tape and tape the stand to my camera tripod. Once I get the positioning correct I move the tripod very little and slowly to get the image I want. Hope this helps.

https://www.amazon.com/Microscope-Digital-Adapter-Adjustable-Compatible/dp/B07JQCWDSC/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=CQ8APPCXZTG8&keywords=digital+microscope&qid=1553637961&s=gateway&sprefix=Digital+mi%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

3 Likes

Snip off a sample (make sure it’s flower and not sugar leaf) and take it in the kitchen with a piece of white paper; set it on that, put it on the table and use your 'scope. Way more stable.

Coco only needs a few days to get the solids down. If you don’t already; buy a TDS meter so you can watch the runoff numbers. When you are down around 150 ppm you are done.

You have a long way to go and you would likely be better to get her to the finish line before worrying too much about final flush. She will get 2 to 3 times the flower bulk you have right now.

2 Likes

I like an energetic high. When I spot amber on the flower, (not sugar leaves) I do a major flush. 7 days later I drill the stalk. 5-7 days later I harvest.

I do grow in a scrog, so I know the majority of my colas are at the same level of readiness.

2 Likes

Check this out :sunglasses::facepunch: When And How To Harvest Marijuana Plants

Read full article here…:arrow_left:

2 Likes

Well I have a few things I can try now. Thank You :slight_smile: This is why I sometimes like to ask before I do anything. Especially at this point in the cycle. But can they really put on 2-3x more weight at this point? The main cola (out of 17) is already about 6"around and 7" tall and quite dense too. The plant itself is only about 17".
I’m just getting excited while trying to stay patient. I feel like I’m more worried about waiting too long to start the flush than I am to harvest too early.

@ThcHemplar If you get a tool to see the trichomes you will have more patience because you see what you’re waiting for and when to flush

This is kind of what you are looking for. You have a long way to go before they are there.

2 Likes

Picture taken the microscope I suggested and a picture of the bud.

4 Likes

Oh Alright I wasn’t sure if it only started to lose it’s color after you start flushing it. Also that microscope would be very helpful down the road but at least for now I was able to get a much clearer view of the trichs after cutting off a small piece and viewing with a 60-120x scope. Not quite as clean as yours but clear enough to see that almost none are milky. So thank you for all the tips. I definitely would have messed that one up.

1 Like