Could use a mentor

What’s going on here

2 Likes

Looks like nute burn combined with transplant shock.

After transplant you watered in at the base of plant activating alot of nutrient directly around and on freshly disturbed roots. She looks stressed. This is why I go straight into pot from seed.

How much water did you water in with after transplant?
Transplant wasnt super smooth, right?

Want to make sure to let the soil dry good before watering her again. 5-7 days Id wager. Also noticed from the pic the soil at base of plant really wet. Next time you transplant try to keep the ring of water at the perimiter of where the old soil starts and the new soil begins.

Lets talk watering technique for a second.
Screenshot_20220816-104434_Gallery

Above is a little diagram I made so this can be visualized. The red circle represents a no water zone. The roots here are ment for air. Obviously when you water in a transplant you have to get close to that area but its important to keep the bulk of the water right at the line where old soil ends and new soil begins. Outside of this and flushing, you always want to keep that area of the soil dry. When you water/feed you want to keep it in the green zone. This will make your roots hunt for the water stretching them out into the rest of the pot. Bigger roots mean bigger fruits. Rule of thumb is water at two inches from leaf tip in an ever widening circle until leaves reach side of pot. Then you water center mass between stem and side of pot.

She should be ok in a few days to a week. If it gets worse let me know.

2 Likes

Agree with @Docnraq looks like shock. When I transplant, I make a mold from the original pot. The soil I transplant into is pre-moistened (wet, then squeezed to damp) so it holds the mold’s shape when you take the mold out (have to specify that, someone thot I kept the plastic molds in there! :rofl: No, soil in soil). Then you can slide the root mass of your seedling right in the mold, then just press down and around to make it “merge” with the new soil. I do this for all my plants, even the wife’s houseplants when they need up-potting. Never had transplant shock this way. Ever.

2 Likes

I watered about a cup and a half. Used about 1/2 a cup of feed water with the Calmag the next day. So 1 cup day one 1/2 cup day 2. Maybe 10 to 12 hours in between. And what do you mean straight into pot from seed. You talking about planting the seed in its final pot right away

[quote=“Docnraq, post:185, topic:92861”]
Rule of thumb is water at two inches from leaf tip in an ever widening circle until leaves reach side of pot. Then you water center mass between stem and side of pot.

This may sound off a little but what do you mean by 2 inches from Leaf tip. Which leaves exactly. It makes complete sense though to water in a ring make the road stretch. There’s good Logics there. Thank you I appreciate the knowledge I’ll make sure to pass it along

1 Like

@Spudgunner how moist do you get the soil. And then you wait till the whole pot dries out before you water.

Thanks for the input. The more knowledge the better

1 Like

Yes

Thats gonna be an overwater. Silly as it sounds. Anytime you add water, especially at the base of plant gotta let her dry.

Imagine a ring that wraps around your plant starting two inches away from the tips of your leaves.

@Djh1984

I use ProMix as my medium, so I will mix up a weak batch of nutes (I use Advanced Nutrients line), and include some of their Voodoo Juice which is good for root development. I mix it up in a big tub, then squeeze excess water out when I add it to their new homes.
Oh, I also put about 2" of lava rocks in the bottom of my buckets and grow bags, that helps ensure you have good drainage and air for the roots. Lava also wicks water up so it doesn’t get too dry. When I dump out the soil a couple of weeks after harvest, the roots have gone down about an inch into the lava rocks and stop there. You need good drainage and air for the roots, and IMHO the lava rocks achieve that with ProMix.

2 Likes

I use about an inch of perlite for the same reason.

If i am training and manipulating where the branches go and never have grown a plant naturally so not knowing what’s natural grow would look like, where does that leave me?

1 Like

It’s interesting, i never thought to do something like give it a layer to breath. That being said what if you have it a few layers, would it grow faster or stronger having those layers of air pockets to breathe?

1 Like

Appreciate the details. It’s got me thinking a little differently now.

1 Like

Tbh Im not sure but the roots in a fabric pot air prune themselves on the sides. The bottom of the pot is key for drainage. It stays wettest the longest and the fabric doesent help. Some people use rocks others clay pellets, perlite etc. It is a measure to protect against root rot. You want as much soil as possible while still preventing it from solidifying and holding puddles of water. This is why potting soil has perlite in it.

Irrelevant. Two inches from leaf tip is two inches from leaf tip even training it the leaf tips are only so long. Once the leav3s reach the edge of the pot you water anywhere in the greenzone.

Forum is being weird about pics today, if you tap the brown spot where the pic should be it will show it

1 Like

Well, hopefully your medium holds air. You don’t really want layers, the roots seem to stop growing downwards once they hit the lava rocks. I do it so that water doesn’t collect and go stagnant at the bottom. Excess water will flow down thru the medium, according to Newton, and then it can freely drain out of the lava rocks. The medium is never saturated, just moist, and the roots can still breathe.

You train the plant, not the roots! The stalk will stay where it is regardless of whether you spiral your plant, top it and spread the branches out, or mainline it. Still water about 3" or 4" from the base of the plant.

3 Likes

I get it now. Someone i overcoming things SMH

I don’t know what to expect so here they are

2 Likes

They look ruff but transplant shock can have that look. May take a few days fo everyone to right themselves.

Do i wait till completed dry to water. Maybe use my meter? Another question, I’m going to be chopping my plant outside in a week or two given the weather tonight it’s going to hit 30° otherwise it’s going to be hitting like fortiesfor lows for the next couple days. I don’t have a drying room set up but I do have an empty room what should the humidity and temperature be

1 Like

She doesnt look happy.

@Docnraq

2 Likes

Looks like all of your plants are suffering from similar stressors. What is tje temperature and light intensity at? The leaves tips down and coned can suggest to much light, to much heat, or both. Also your watering habits as adressed above you want to water outside in not leaving any dry spots for your roots to grow into. As for botton drainage, you can also put an elvated planter with holes so the plant isnt directly on the floor and has that nice space underneath the pot for air to get to.

1 Like

1 Like