Could use a little advice for 1st timer

I am in week 3 day 4 into flower. Soil is Hyponex, and I am not adding any neuts to the watering. But on one plant, I am seeing what I think might be some degree of Nitrogen toxicity, but it is not in all the blooms. It is more to the blooms on one side (the right as you face it). The leaves on the other blooms to the left of the plant are more typical green color. I know there are neuts in the soil, but I am trying to allow for that and just give pH’d water without neuts, and I am still seeing this. (see pic #1) Is there anything I can do? I wanted to give the plants some potassium for bud growth, but FF Big Bloom would be the only fert I have on hand that does not have any nitrogen in it. I have Tiger Bloom, but there is too much Nitrogen in that to use…(if I am thinking correctly). So, asking for some input please… Btw pH of the soil is 6.5 last time I checked… Temps 77 F / H 40%…

1 Like

I see a hint of discoloration and tips look burnt/curled down but I think she looks fine, if runoff ph is 6.5 she should be ok. When was the last time you checked runoff ph and what was the ppm of runoff?

5 days ago it was checked, but it is due for watering tomorrow, and I am going to check then. Don’t know the ppm… Throughout the grow, I have checked the runoff of the plants, and they tend to head to the alkaline side somewhat, and I have just tried to counter that, and maintain the pH at 6.2-6.5 on them all. The other plants (2 of them) got somewhat dark, but not as much as this plant. So, I have just been giving them 6.2 pH water. I am trying to follow the “Grow Schedule for Soil Growers” (from this site), and I am trying to maintain a watering schedule of every other day (approx 2 Liters) for each plant. (they are in 3 gal pots) so there is some overflow. (I was hopeful that some of the neuts would flush out). I will have to get a measuring device to see what the ppm is in the future. (sorry)…
Here is a pic of the neighboring plants…

3 Likes

Ok, this just popped up, and I hopeful you may know the answer…What if the issue is not Nitrogen, but a phosphorus deficiency? The leafs on a couple of other buds were this dark, and had somewhat of a claw tip. (I’m just guessing here.) But after reading about the need of the plant at this stage, and the symptoms of this kind of deficiency, maybe that is what I am dealing with. The thing that brought me to this is that I read where some of the stems can be purple,. ( and they are). But I did not purchase these seeds, but know they are some kind of “Kush” seeds. (Hey! Gotta start somewhere! right?) BTW thanks for your response. It is appreciated greatly!

2 Likes
1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. That is where I read about the possibility of my issue being a Phosphorus deficiency. The stems in 4 out of 6 of the plants had purple and green stems. There were other symptoms that matched also. So, I pulled out the plant I took the pic with the darker leaves, and the root pH was 5.8 when I checked, and I left it at 6.3 after watering. I gave it a minimal dose of Tiger Bloom, and we will see how she responds. Thank you all for your input. I will follow up and let you know what the results were…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Keep us posted, I’m having a similar issue, can’t figure it out yet, and it got a lot worse, but mine kinda pointed to the same issue ur having, I’m in week 5 still in veg

Could be phosphorus deficiency as you stated. Since they are in flower mode they won’t need as much nitrogen as theubwould during the Veg stage. I would
Check the feeding chart on fox farms website to see what they are recommending for feeding at that stage.

1 Like

Well…I made a decision after reading among other articles, “The symptom checker,” and I mixed up some pH’d water and added FF Tiger Bloom 2-8-4, and put them to bed for the 12hrs of dark. I opened them up today, hoping I still had some healthy plants, and was pleasantly surprised to find some good looking and “responding well” plants. It appears that it was indeed a phosphorus issue! Here are todays pics.

2 Likes

This is something I came across tonight. (You may already have this, but I will post it, and you can use it or not…:wink:

1 Like

Ok, here a couple of 2 stems approx 48 hrs after watering w/FFTiger Bloom 2-6-4, and plants are still responding well. Note the one still had the red/purple streaks, and the other, the dark areas were as pronounced as the first pic, and the colored streaks have dissipated in the main stem and leaf stem. (the slightly darkened areas are where they were previously streaked). I am thinking that that a phosphorus def is what the problem was. I am now using pH down by Botanicare (0-15-0), that is 29% phosphoric acid, when I have to lower the water pH. And when I add the Tiger Bloom (which takes the pH lower) I use pH up. Thanks for all the input. For a first grow, I have been reading a lot, and inquiring also. Loving the education and the benefit of passed on experience. Thank you all! :slight_smile:

2 Likes