Cough and lung irritation

What are the most common causes of lung irritation and cough with indoor homegrown?

To clarify: its not harsh when I’m smoking it. I develop a cough after smoking it… like later that day

2 Likes

Good question.

Having smoked cannabis that was not leached of salts before harvest I would suspect that is one reason. Improper cure, strong fertilizers, mold, genetics probably have an effect too.

6 Likes

Mold be my guess??

1 Like

Please tell me more about “improper curing”

Can there be mold but not see anything on the buds?

Usually has to do with over nutrition during the grow …
I never need to flush towards the end and I believe its because I only give them what they want and don’t push to hard with nutrients…
When your in soil or coco people tend to really push the nutrients and I think theres alot of residual nutrients left in the plant that causes the harsh smoke effect… :wink:
:v::sunglasses:

6 Likes

But if I over nuted my girls then. Good flush at the end will improve the smoke ? :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I want to get into a soil grow where I only give water and see how that changes the end result

Mold … :thinking:
When I was in the triangle , I smoked some buds that were moldy , it did kinda have a sharp pinch in my lungs at first hit that wanted to kinda make you choke , but the taste was definitely moldy …
You would know if the bud was moldy just by the taste of it , so I’m leaning towards over nutrition… :+1::wink:

3 Likes

I agree. I like conservative and I also like giving them everything they need right up to the final week or two. I monitor the runoff numbers to get below my target too.

Too much moisture in the flower, ammonia note etc are all signs of poor cure. Not enough time in cure as well.

3 Likes

I def over nute… :sleepy:
I guess I’ll be making extracts and edibles off my older havests.

All the moldy crap I’ve discarded. I accidentally smoked a moldy bud once and that was enough for me

1 Like

I’m sure the curing is a component.

I hate to make extracts of everything. I just have so much weed.

I’m tempted to go jar by jar and sample it and if its harsh just set it aside for extract.

For example this morning I’m coughing like crazy and I smoked last night

1 Like

THE smoothest cannabis I ever had was last winter’s hydro grow. I’m down to 50 grams of the Purple Haze which makes me sad but still have a pound or so of Crystal and Black D.O.G. left.

5 Likes

What was different about that grow?

1 Like

Shake some kief.

1 Like

Its alot easier to do when your in coco or soil…
In hydro its alot harder to overfeed because your plants will tell you in one day that you did something wrong …
I’ve actually seen them shrivel up right before my eyes like they were on fire from over nutrition but with no flame…
It was pretty crazy…
Definitely recommend a 2 week flush in soil if your really pushing the nutrients and also a 48 hour dark period befor chop to help aid in keeping the left over nutrients in the roots…

5 Likes

Ya! I’ve been wanting to do an ice bath kief or dryice kief … or both

A, was in hydro and not media and b, I ran straight R/O until the rez TDS was under 100 ppm. And plants were happy right to harvest.

6 Likes

I saw that this grow with excess Scott super bloom. Somehow I thought it would be good to give the girls two scoops instead of one. It fried my smaller girls and burned off all the fan leaves of my larger girls

2 Likes

So… in my case. Flush flush flush.

3 Likes