Correct way to flush using FF Sledgehammer

I would appreciate some help about the correct way to flush soil using sledgehammer.
I follow the Foxfarm nutrient chart that recommends flushing with Sledgehammer at least 3 times per grow.
I have read many posts about how much PHd water you need to flush out the sledgehammer.
I’ve read anywhere from 1 gallon 3x the pot size.
Obviously no one wants to use more water than necessary.
I contacted Foxfarm multiple times for their official answer.
And now I’m even more confused.

They insist no rinsing off of sledgehammer is necessary. (See emails).
That contradicts everything I’ve ever read.
Anyone experienced using sledgehammer that could set things straight?

4 Likes

wonder why no one has responded to this. @Hellraiser @Zee @ashhhh I think you all have or use fox farms correct? Whats the deal on this. I would love a straight answer also. I have a flush coming up pretty quick on 12 plants in 5 gallon pots under a net. Soo. Yea theres that bit of fun times ahead.

4 Likes

I use fox farm products and this year I just started using the sledgehammer. Previously used another company’s but thought I would try their’s. What I am doing is using twice the amount of water I would normally use with the suggested amount of sledgehammer on the feeding chart. Off the top my head I think it’s 2 teaspoons per gallon but don’t quote me on that. I believe I got that information either from the side of the bottle or on their frequently asked questions on their website. Most of the time I don’t feed until around flowering starts so I don’t do that first flush but I do the two flushes during flower. I also feed at half the recommended amount through most of the grow unless I see something tells me otherwise. I’ll be curious to see what other people say.
I’d like to see some grows that were finished using Fox Farm and see how well they look in the end compared to other nutrient lines. Just to see if I’m doing things right. Anyway Thanks for the question. Happy growing.

the feeding chart they have online does not match the chart that everybody, myself included has posted on this forum also

My main question is after letting Sledgehammer sit for 30 minutes, how much water is needed to flush out the Sledgehammer. Foxfarm insists that no water is needed. I asked twice and they say just let it dry.

2 Likes

Well this is what I did, and I think it’s sort of follows what Fox Farm told you? But I’m no expert so listen for what other people respond to this post too. I was watering about 1 gallon per plant. So what I did was I put Sledgehammer into two gallons of water which worked out to be 4 teaspoons I believe. Then i ph that water to 6.5. I ran all of it through and vacuumed up all the water that came out of the fabric pot. I waited like 3 or 4 days for the plant to dry back out to the point where it was ready for its next feeding. Then I just resumed my nutrients at half strength and carried on the fox farm schedule. Whether or not this is a hundred percent right or the best method I don’t know. But it’s what I did and my girls seemed to be okay. But like you I also would like to hear what other people have done or do with their Flushing. Thanks and happy growing. I’m going to keep watching this thread and see what other people say too.

3 Likes

Thank you for the feedback.
Sounds like you did the same thing box Farm recommended.
Seems odd to me that I read so many posts that say you should rinse/flush with anywhere from 1 to 20 gallons of pH water.
I’m sure everyone has their own way.

2 Likes

I usually run 10-gallon pots. I flush with 2-gal Sledgehammer mixed per directions and then follow it with 6 or 8 gallons RO to do a full flush and run PPMs down in the 300-400 range. I’ll folllow with a light dose of nutes and then half strength nutes given by the FF feed schedule on the next watering. The FF feeding schedule is very aggressive and can lead to problems.

7 Likes

I do think that is probably the forsure way to get everything out of your water. Where as my flush probably wasn’t considered a true flush but I’m thinking it did some benefit especially if that’s sort of what foxfarm recommends? I hope that makes sense. In the past when I used clearex I follow their directions and even did some more. But that was a few grow ago now and I’m trying to learn more as I go etc
I would say if you did double or triple amount of water pH to the size of the pot you’re growing in that would probably be a for-sure flush if you wanted to get everything out. Basically flush with pH water until it comes out clear if you don’t have a PPM tester if I understand correctly from previous post and discussions…

Thank you Power, I think your way is probably the true ways to do a flush or I should say the correct way. That’s kind of how I understand it.

1 Like

Sounds logical to me.
Using no water per Foxfarm just doesn’t make sense.
I’m sure they are trying to impress customers with how great their products work.
But they should realize that nobody wants to hurt their girls by making a mistake.
Thank you all for the feedback!
I enjoy learning from everyone.

5 Likes

Hey @Jackie_Daytona sorry been busy for the past week because of moving. I never used ff trio or sledgehammer so I cant really give advice on that but I see those who are experienced with it chimed in. Thanks for the tag tho bud keep em coming and I’ll try to help with what I can. I only used General Hydroponics Flora Series nutrients and for my next grow it will be Jacks 321 Formula. Canada post delivered the seeds to my address but theres nothing in my mailbox so now my grow is delayed. Hopefully they can recover them otherwise id have to go through a claims procedure and try and get a refund or re order with no cost

1 Like

oh that sucks about your seeds. I hope they turn up or someone has them and brings them by. I have been seeing a lot about that jacks 321. looks interesting. I would be happy with a less is more approach.

1 Like

I never used Sledgehammer when I used FF nutes, but if FF says you don’t need to wash it out, I’d believe them, same thing when I use Final Flush from AN.

3 Likes

so i am screwing up AGAIN by flushing with all that water after i use sledgehammer? what?

2 Likes

im not sure I have read 100 different things online and not one actual instructional video have i found. I am still confused about this. sitting here with the stuff right in front of me.

3 Likes

if you pick all the instructions apart never have i heard specifically use 1 gal water per gal of media using sledge hammer, i have heard use sledge hammer, period, it is now time to contact fox farms. they also have a different feeding schedule on line than what they send you.

2 Likes

I am reading use 1-2 gallon of sledgehammer mix, pour it in and let is soak 30min-1 hour then rinse with twice the amount normally used to water.
I am also reading use twice the amount used to water but no need to rinse the sledgehammer out. Which does not seem right to me.

I am also reading use 3-5 times the pot size to rinse the sledgehammer out. which I am just not going to do.

3 Likes

i have to flush next week. i am going to do it my way and then fox farm way on 3 plants. then see what happens i guess

3 Likes

Im doing my 4x4 plants right now. 4 of them. Doing the 4x8 8 tomorrow. today i am adding 2 gallon of sledgehamemr mix at letting it sit 30 minutes ish. then flushing with 4 gallons of water. I normally water with two to get runoff . then I am going to add nutes to last gallon I forgot that part.

3 Likes