Controlling Heat HLG 600r

So, i added a HLG 600r to my lighting setup. Its running along side a HLG 320 XL… even with a T8 running full blast im only getting down to around 84°F. Ive left my door open to the room ( its a 12ft long x 8 ft wide x 8 ft tall ) and even with that im only dropping a few degrees. How are yall controlling your heat ? Even with the window ac on in the room its only dropping to 77…

1 Like

Mounting the driver outside the tent. I don’t have this problem but I see others that live in a hotter area to begin with and this is what I see them doing.

1 Like

@Bonjoyle i unfortunately live in the southeast where we get 4 seasons in a week. Ive got 5 autos going and this is really the first week ive had issues but ive also turned up the intensity to 80% ive got 24 inches to top of canopy and 48in down to some seedlings. So the driver is whats producing all the heat?

Your lung room is at 78 with ac on or is it the tent that is 78 with ac on?

1 Like

That is 77 with the ac on.

The driver produces the majority of the heat that a lamp puts out. I put mine outside my tent and it helped a LOT. The other trick I used - good for autos and photos in veg - is to run your lamps 6 hours on, 2 off, repeat 3 times daily. That gives you a light schedule of 18/6.

The final trick is reversing day and night. My lamps come on at 4 PM and go off at 4 AM.

Good luck with it - dealing with heat is really a bugger.

2 Likes

Unless your qualified i would not remote mount your driver. It would help but not as much as controlling your lung room temp. For me the tent will be about ten degrees hotter then the air that is being supplied. Summer grows are a real challenge for me. Try to keep your tent temp 75 to 82 is optimal

1 Like

One last thing to add. I got the 350r’s, they even being the most efficient board hlg makes next to scorpion diablo, the heat sink gets crazy hot. Like its hard to leave hand on it for more then ten seconds. The driver will reduce heat but the heat sink is still going to do its job. If you got the know how it can be doable to move but its not the same as the kit lights from them that are way easier to remote mount.

Those temps aren’t completely terrible. As long as you have lots of air circulation, I think you’ll be ok.

Maybe try changing your lighting schedule. Have lights on at night when it’s usually cooler and off during the day when it’s warmer. This is what I’m doing for my current grow and temps are much more manageable.

2 Likes

@registereduser i run from 4pm to 8am

1 Like

I think you should know that there two types of heat that you are dealing with.
First the heat that the driver puts out is somewhat easy for the exhaust to remove from the tent.
Second the heat produced by the light engery is much harder for the air to absorb, and it just bounces around in a somewhat empty tent. There is nothing in the empty tent to absorb the light and heat. Most of this heat will need to flow out through the tent walls. Once you have a good canopy of leaves. The exhaust fan will be more efficient with moving the heat out.
Sitting a box fan so that it is blowing on the outside of the tent may help.

1 Like

I think ive ive got it figured out. I was able to get it down to 74 last night. My little window ac just needed a boost from a box fan in front of it. Keep in mind, this isnt a tent. This is 1 of 2 rooms i built on to my shop. One is a 12x8 and the other is a 4x8 seperated by wall and door. Insulated top to bottom. I took my old 4in vivosun fan and turned it into an intake from outside. So now i have a 4in intake , 8in exhaust plus a window unit when needed for supplement.

2 Likes