Controller Question

Hey guys! :grin:

Little question about controllers today,
I’m looking into complete climate controllers & was looking for some expert advise,
with all of the paid for marketing & reviews it’s really hard to sift through everything without actually speaking to someone with first hand experience.
So I am looking for a complete climate controller, one controller to do it all.
I was looking into the ‘intelliclimate’ by auto grow but it suggested to not exceed 4AMP at once & that seems like way to little?
Also I’m taking it with complete climate controllers that you’d need equipment that just flicks straight on at the wall? Not something that you have to turn on at the wall, and then turn on using a button on the actual appliance?

Thanks in advance :heart:

1 Like

@garrigan62 @dbrn32 @Covertgrower @Hellraiser @Poseidon @imSICKkid

Hey guys, hope the tag is okay.
Maybe you guys could assist with some guidance, or know someone who can. :grin:

1 Like

I like Titan pretty well :+1:t2: Budget will most likely drive functionality.

These guys can get expensive…

How big of space are you wanting to control?

1 Like

I’m going to guess that system requires relays.

3 Likes

If I were to buy a controller it would be the Trolmaster for sure. It runs everything and can interface with your phone so you can see all your stats wherever you are

3 Likes

I don’t have any experience with automated controllers. I know some members use a PLC to control their grows. Merlin44 and I know Joshmcginnis28 also has some experience with them.

2 Likes

I’d much rather make the investment upfront rather then buy something I’m unsatisfied with & will end up replacing down the track.

2.4m x 2.4m, am wanting to run around & I’m wanting to run around 2200watt worth of lighting at one time.

That is correct; but I’m not really sure what this means…

Keeping track of everything is a must, I’ll check these guys out. :grin:

I’ll check these guys out. :grin:

1 Like

@merlin44 @Joshmcginnis28

2 Likes

Think of it like a solid state light switch that’s controlled by a low voltage current. So basically your devices plug into the relay and the relay acts as a gateway to the electrical outlet.

2 Likes

I do use a single PLC to control my three grow spaces. If this interests you I can discuss it with you tomorrow morning.
I am on pacific time and usually look at the forum at around 6 am.
@StarfaLL

2 Likes

Thanks for the tag :+1:. I’ll let Merlin take the reigns. I haven’t use one for growing just yet but I do program Plc all day every day.

Just as heads up. It can get pretty costly depending how fancy wanna make it. Merlin knows the lower end plcs well. I play with 9k dollar ones at work lol
Also It’s not so much a plug and play system but With a little wiring knowledge and some quick programming lessons , it’s totally doable. I love his setup and definitely will be going to Merlin about which hardware he decided to use and why.

3 Likes

I worked with and taught all Allen Bradley and Schneider/Modicon when I was still working. Those are very expensive.

There are low end Pc’s that are well suited to indoor horticulture control.

3 Likes

About 64ish square feet. Gotcha. I was thinking much larger :rofl:

There are several small garden/home garden (SGHG) solutions available. Titan Systems is a solid choice all around. I know several farms that use them :v:t2:

1 Like

Ya I remember you mentioned a few. I think tonight I will go back and re-read your journal and see what aspects you are automating exactly. Like if using little dosing pumps to pH water and take readings on own ECT ECT.

I think once I get 2 grows in I will probably hit you up for all those finer details of those hardware items . Soo don’t go leaving this forum on us :grin:. You’re Too valuable and appreciated. Youre stuck with us all for life. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

I only control the environment in the three areas with the PLC.
Includes red spectrums and UV, temperature and rH.

Feeding nutrients and controlling ph is not difficult but could get spendy.

2 Likes

Thank-you so much @merlin44 I’ve just started reading into PLC control systems,
It’s sounding very interesting, but I think the pre configured programs & pre wired complete climate controllers are sounding like a better option for me, I will continue to read further into it though.

Therefore I’d safely be able to run a complete grow room with adequate lighting right?
Drawing say, 4000watts at one time?

Haha, my favoured controllers right now are the trolmasters that @imSICKkid mentioned earlier, and the intelligrows so far, they both seem more suited to the size I’m wanting to control, and there computerised logging programs & remote access seem quite savy.

3 Likes

Yes. Obviously that’s at least a couple circuits.

1 Like

Yeah, there are several companies that offer all-in-one drop box type units that do not require basic machine coding. Hope it works out :+1:t2:

1 Like

4 amps as a switching controller is tons! Most relays and switches wont use more than a few miliamps, an amp for a relay is a lot.

2 Likes