Control for smilers can't be bought

I havent been giving them enough water. They were really dry when i got home. I bet the water I have been giving hasn’t gone past an inch from the top. I know they get water from the air at this stage but they were dry.

2 Likes

place a dome and mist once or twice a day. mine shot off when i did that. trick is to keep the medium damp not wet and act like a sponge

2 Likes

gotcha. I don’t think I started out “damp” enough to begin with then failed to keep it in sponge mode. Hopefully they bounce back.

1 Like

they will no stress. try doming them

1 Like

Yeah he waters to runoff like I do, even in solo cups.

2 Likes

I dont think I was keeping the promix was at a moisture level conducive for root growth. Hard transition over form soil for me.

2 Likes

your seedlings look exactly how mine did, mine started getting gray at this point.

I ended up trashing them. as they shoulda been much bigger at that point. Mine was from not rinsing the coco…idk, that’s what I was told. This was at like 10 days. I thought I was over watering. Mine absolutely was not under watering. I hope you figure it out though.

2 Likes

Plants grow at their own speed.

4 Likes

its the drooop and poor color I am concerned with. I am seeing some yellowing of the cotyledons already on some of them. Perhaps when they dry out give some 1/4 strength jacks and recharge?

1 Like

Yes, I would also recommend watering a little more often. This doesn’t seem right, but I’ve noticed ph swings when coco doesn’t stay wet enough. Something to think about. (I’m not sure how often you’re watering and feeding either. Just speculation)

3 Likes

haven’t feed yet. I was just giving some squirts when it seemed like it was getting dry. But after watching bill wards video with his sprouts and promix I was giving maybe 1/10 of the water he was and I don’t think I started with it wet enough.

1 Like

I highly recommend to water them and feed every time and more often.

4 Likes

Will do. I see this being an issue Is I am not here to water twice a day or whatever they will require.

2 Likes

what strength jacks should I start with. 1/4? I think I have a chart around here. seedlings

2 Likes

Full strength.

Per gal mixture is
3.6g of Part A
2.4g of Part B
1.2g of Epsom salt

3 Likes

got it. I just feed the other plants full strength today. Well the 7 that didnt get watered yesterday.

3 Likes

Twice a day? Does promix dry out that fast? Or am I missing something. Ive heard so much back n forth about it now im just staying away from it. some people say make sure it doesnt dry out, others say na you gotta let it dry just as much as soil. Hellraiser says he treats his like soil, I think you can go to the bank with that.

3 Likes

Yeah I never really watered promix hp any differently than I do with happy frog (with added perlite), didn’t seem much different other than it had zero nutes in it so I fed earlier (starting week 2 instead of week 3) than I would with happy frog. Other than that I treated it same as any other potting soil, water to a little runoff, let dry, repeat as needed and never had any problems with it. It’s peat moss and perlite, same base components as other other potting soils, there really is nothing special about it that requires it to be handled differently other than feeding earlier.

2 Likes

ill start feeding once it dries out.

2 Likes

Don’t water much differently than you did on the last grow (other than feeding earlier). If you were adding perlite to your potting soil like I do - 8 to 12 quarts per big bag of HF or even OF, then you were already making a potting mix with similar drainage qualities as promix hp - 25 to 35% perlite. So the watering really wouldn’t be any different. I basically turn my happy frog into promix hp (drainage wise with similar amounts of perlite) but with a little organic nutes in it (a little worm castings and bat guano).

2 Likes