Control for smilers can't be bought

gotcha. thanks for the input much appreciated. love to learn!

1 Like

alright . thank you ill give them a shot and see what happens.

i dumped my barrel as it was cloudy.

I then washed it real good with peroxide.

As I am mixing 275 grams of silica blast to the barrel and it was empty I went ahead and filled it about a 1/4 of the way. Added the silica blast and mixed it really well. ph above 10! So i phd that down to around 5.9. I then added more water to about half then added part A then Epsom salts. Mixed it really well. I then added more water and mixed in my part B. Mixing really well. I topped off the barrel. Ph came up to 6.3 so I ph down a bit and will let it sit and check tomorrow.

The Reservoir water is *** clearer*** now compared to before. I will compare it after it sits in the morning. To think i have probably been hurting my plants this whole time. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

@ashhhh just an fyi

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. So I dont keep a reservoir. I just leave a little over 4 gallons of water out for 24 hrs then add my liquid armor si then part A then epsom then Part B. pH is at 6.6 after that then i adjust it to 5.8 then feed. I dont run into issues using this method. I guess theres nothing for me to fix, if I dont keep a reservoir right?

Thanks for the info

1 Like

not sure this was a new lesson for me.

1 Like

Ive been taught the way i explained and been following it with no issues at all. Maybe it applies for when keeping a res

1 Like

One thing I want to add, is that I always mix the water and make sure its stirring around while adding my silica. I was told to do that in order for it not to turn into ‘glue’. I could be wrong

1 Like

noticed the tops of one plant looking stressed, curled taco leaves just starting, little brown down the middle leaf vein. But just in a couple spots. Thought about my mix
 maybe? checked my lights. I did adjust them a little but not down. jus side to side. So i raised them up a bit over that plant. Then all plants.

Thats when I saw it. A rip in my intake duct. Looks like hot dry air from he dehumidifier was Blowing right on the top of that plant in a couple spots instead of all of it going down into the circulation fans and being blown evenly around the tent.

Might explain the strange Rh/ temp reading I was seeing the last couple days across 3 sensors.

Funny thing is I am 15" @260w from the tops of two of the plants and that not the one showing stress. :grin:

1 Like

And an update on my freak of nature plant with flat branches.

Not really doing much but looking strange. and putting out a lot of leaves. I accidentally crushed one as it is quite soft. I probably should have clipped them when i first noticed but it seems fine aside from the resource use.

3 Likes

@ashhhh you should always PH your water before adding nutrients if using a silica product.
Refer to my explanation above.

@Jackie_Daytona your Res will never be crystal clear when your running a pump (I run mine 24/7 but ideally on for 15min every 2hr is what they should be set to, buying timers and setting them up will cost me more then the power and buying new pumps though lol)
Although it should not be very cloudy, the silica will settle if you don’t run a pump and not all of it will dissolve but it is what it is.

Sorry if we failed to mention this to you earlier on @ashhhh but yes you should add silica first, PH it down (you don’t want it to reach a PH of 8 when you add nutrients or they will drop out of availability basically) then you add your Jack’s or whatever finally you PH to your ideal mediums PH then feed.

1 Like

I dont have a pump. i just stick the lid on and its used up pretty quick. 2-3 days. Should I get one? From what I understand temperature is important also. can you talk about that.

If you weren’t using silica ide say don’t sweat about a pump, but since you are I would recommend a pump with a cheap timer one notch on followed by 4 notches off. 30min on 2hr off.
I have two of the 12$. Cheap cheap ones off amazon, if you go to your local hardware store after you get it you can get some tubing for it to, this way if you ever want to drain something like a reservoir or a spill in your tent. Or maybe you hurt your shoulder and can’t lift a bucket for a week or something it will come in really handy.

I have one my reservoir and one goes in a 5 gallon bucket that I use to pre mix my nutrients, I sitll stir a little bit with a bamboo stick but the pump is amazing and it cost me 12$ Canadian so that’s like 5$ for you lol.

Yeah temperature in water is a good question.
Most plants develop properly with water temperatures between 20 and 25ÂșC, and thanks to the experience of many growers we even know that roots develop better at temperatures around 18-19ÂșC. However, nutrient uptake at 23ÂșC is maximum. Thus, the best temperature for irrigating our plants is between 20-23ÂșC.
Oxygen available in water is a other consideration, this recommendation has included that variable, as water gets colder it holds more oxygen and while it gets warmer there is less oxygen available.
Root rot is another issue in hydroponics and keeping Temps below 22c will eliminate this risk.
My grow room is set to 22.5 or 23c depending on what’s going on in my head, outside weather and with my plants but you should aim for the 20-23c.
Often hydroponic systems need a chiller as they have large amounts of water they keep in a grow room that is being heated to 25-27c for ideal growing Temps, this can raise the hydro temp and cause root issues, deficiencies or even lack of oxygen.

1 Like

So something like this pump?

I tossed out some pre mixed nutes for the clones as it was way to warm yesterday. it sat out by the heater and dehumidifier.

Ill take my barrel temp tomorrow morning as it is still 59F after several hours coming out of the wall. the room the barrel is in is around 75F

1 Like

also how long does it take to reveg clones. these things have been under 24hr light for 2 weeks now. some others longer and are still showing new calyx.

Depends on how big your reservoir is lol.
I have two 30 Gallon reservoirs that use these pumps

https://www.amazon.com/Homasy-Upgraded-Submersible-Water-Burning/dp/B078XQ3FCL/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=water+pump+80+gph&qid=1611003845&sprefix=Water+pump+80&sr=8-3

1 Like

i have a 55 gallon drum

1 Like

Clones is not something I’m experienced with but @Hellraiser is and @peachfuzz is as well I assume.

Then yes get the pump you listed, I almost need a bigger one for my use but not until. They die lol

1 Like

gotcha. thank you.

1 Like

so basically just stick the pump in the barrel and let it circulate water? Or am I missing something? Dont I need to add air?

1 Like

Are we talking clones
?
I use 3 gallon buckets for cloning with a 2"x2" air stone for cloning

Works like a charm

:v::sunglasses:

5 Likes