Continued discussion from Missile's Shenanigans

I remember my days as an hvac tech in Phoenix Arizona, attics as hot as 170°f. No fun at all.

3 Likes

Our AC died on us a few years back. The poor guys that had to get in the Attic. It happened at the worst possible time. It was almost 100 degrees in the house and attic was past 150 degrees. I used my hygrometer to measure the he heat and humidity. It didn’t help that the humidity was almost 100%.

I don’t know how they do that work in our hottest months.

2 Likes

THE worst is climbing under a broke paving machine during paving while working in Fresno in July! Haha

5 Likes

I did road construction before I went in the Army. I was the guy that had to walk the entire section and my sole job was to put down the reflectors on the road. The company I worked for did what they call Armor Coating. It’s where they would grind part of the concrete up with ridges then tar it and then put the small gravel on it. Then roll it a bunch of times.

Not for the faint of heart during 100+ degrees. We worked from around 5:30am till 9pm. The owner tried to convince me to not enlist in the Army. In 2 days I made almost $500. That was good in 1995.

5 Likes

Fair point!!! I still think the worst job I have had was roustabout in the oil field. Not so much hot as your in the open most of the time, and it only gets like 115-120 out here, but it was disgusting nasty work with all the chemicals natural and artificial and the no plumbing so you ate what you were working on and crap in a box if one was empty enough to do so, and dangerous, mostly because of the people you end up working with, most dont speak English, which is horrible when you or they are operating heavy machinery, with heavy loads etc. I got hit in the head twice by 4 inch polyurethane pipe, the last time it cracked my c7 and t1

2 Likes

@CoyoteCody Ouch…most of the guys that work in the fields here do at least speak English. Dangerous work needs to have everyone that can speak and understand the language.

2 Likes

That’s why I quit, even after that happened I was going to stick it out with the company because I am dumb and loyal I guess, but they fired the one other person that spoke good English for smoking weed, so I figured it was only a matter of time before it happened to me as well, or I would be killed by a misunderstanding.

1 Like

That was definitely a smart move. Get out before something seriously happened. There was a guy here that got killed by some heavy metal tubing you would use for draining ditches under roads. Their way of doing things changed due to it.

2 Likes

We have a death at least once a day out here it seems, I know if you include auto accidents in company vehicles then there is at least one death a day in our region alone. We have one of the most deadly stretches of road on the west side of the USA, it’s a weekly news story that some crane truck operator or a vacuum truck etc hit 4 trucks in the oncoming lane and killed 8 people.

1 Like

Here ya go @CoyoteCody. This is how unsafe it is here in Texas and mind you I have road a motorcycle since Oct 31st, 2014.

I’ve been run off the road, hit a curb and went airbourne. I didn’t go down on that. All because a idiot decided to turn into me after he literally just passed me.

Three more accidents. Two of those was from oil on the road. They didn’t clean the road after accidents. I literally hit actual oil and lucky that one was less than 5 mph since I had to stop for the red light.

Now the other was after a rain and this idiot decided to slam on him brakes in the middle of the intersection so they could go to Walmart. It was a chain reaction since everyone had to slam on the brakes. I went down at 40 mph and I was in the Ambulance and Walmart told
my sister my motorcycle better be moved or they was going to tow it. Yes, that actually took place and when I found out, I was pretty livid.

2 Likes

this is my baby lol. The worst accident I have been in was this truck threw me out of the bed and rolled on top of me, it drug me 285 feet down a dirt road while on top of my arm, it ripped out half my bicep my elbow and all the tendons in my hand, it only took 6 surgeries to put me back together lol.

3 Likes

When I was a baby my mom and I lived in Fresno

1 Like

I am right on the border of Texas and Mexico so I know how crazy people from both places drive lol

2 Likes

Dooood that sucks:(

1 Like

It’s all good, it could have been much worse and I still have my arm and have probably 95% control back now.

3 Likes

I drove my nissan pickup truck off the side of the road over a bank, it hit a big boulder and flipped then rolled twice and came to rest against a telephone pole. The only part that wasnt bent was the tailgate! My canoe and roof rack were up in a tree all bent to shit! I crawled out the passenger window, which was smashed out, and crawled up the bank. It was dark. I collapsed in the middle of the road and layed there till someone drove up and thankfully didnt run me over! Lol. I had been drinking, im embarrassed to admit. Somehow I survived with only bruises, lot of them from head to toe. I e never operated a motor vehicle with so much as a sip of booze in me since. Lesson learned and learned well!
As a side note, there is a cross there now of a guy that wasnt so lucky.

3 Likes

I’m glad you learned your lesson with that, a lot of people are not so lucky. I remember the day of my accident I told everyone we would roll over but no one believed me so we went hauling butt down the road and flipped it everyone else was ok but me, yet I was the only coherent one, I had to break out a window to get a cell phone to call 911 while I was bleeding out, and everyone else was running in circles and freaking out.

1 Like

Sorry about that curse word I try my hardest to keep it clean, which is very hard for me.

3 Likes

There is nothing like a near death experience to set you on the right path!

2 Likes

Funny enough I didnt go straight after that either, it took a lot more, and the only thing that saved me was my wife and my 2 little girls.

4 Likes