Containers VS In the ground

I know this may be a loaded questions. But I want to ask, what do you think does better? In containers or right in the ground?
I grew 3 yrs ago for the first time in the ground, and I think I did very well, the plants turned out nice and got a nice yield. it was in my veggie garden.
Last year, I moved so I tried in my new location, and the soil was bad, really bad clay. Total failure. I was thinking they got enough sun, but didnt live there full time yet, so with the dry summer, they were not getting as much water as they should. So that was part of the problem.
This year I dug a hole out and filled the holes with good soil. The plants are doing better, but still not what I would think was good. The plants are about 3ft tall, but skinny.
anyway, I wanted to make sure I had some flowers this year, and also tried for the first time growing in containers, I have 5 gallon pots, plus one 10 and the plants are doing very well. Same soil mix.
So now im thinking that were I live now, growing in the ground is not the way to go, but using pots.
Id like to get peoples ideas on this.
I do live like 50 miles away from Chicago,if that helps, since I am finding out, different places seem to have different growing requirements.
Thanks for the help

1 Like

Did you amend the soil or just put potting soil in hole
Pictures would help us determine how shes doing

Are you feeding and if so at what ppm ?

1 Like

I used one bag of top soil, about 1/4 to 1/3 of a bag of cow manure, and perlite. I used this for my holes I dug and in the pots i am using.
Like I said my stuff in the ground is doing ok at best. The potted stuff is exploding.
I have not feeding, I was not sure if the cow manure is what was holding them back or what?
I was thinking of feeding the stuff in the ground, but I didnt want to burn or hurt the ground grow. I normally use Fox Farm.
Do you think I should use some fox farm on the ground grow and see if that pushes them along?

1 Like

You could try adding a small amount of dolomite lime to your outdoor plants , it will help to break up the local clay soil and help with some drainage. Sounds like the potted plants are receiving plenty of oxygen and have good drainage in the same soil , so I think the local clay is forming a barrier that is not draining well and not allowing enough air to the roots.

4 Likes

Just another thought, if you are planning on using the holes in the ground next season, dig them as large as you can and make them raised beds mounded above the ground level as this will have heaps better aeration and drainage.

4 Likes

So I’m in jersey and my ground dirt is very much clay I know you said your in a garden I believe but what I did was I left the grass around my holes as the roots from the grass help to break up the soil just a thought or you could try driving a stick onto the ground a few inches from your hole and wiggle it around to loosen the soil

2 Likes

With that clay in the soil get you some gypsum it will help break up the clay.

I grow in pots out side much for the same reasons. I have a clay in the soil and its really crap. You have a more control growing in a pot. I grow in 7 gal and 10 gal. may go all 10 next year… good luck with your grow

2 Likes

You could also rent a tiller, and chop the clay up good with the additives.

1 Like

So just so I understand what you are saying. Even thou I dug a hole and added soil, more or less its not big enough, the roots dont have enough room.
So either Try dolomite
or maybe its better if I grow in pots?
I am working my veggie garden over alot…
this year things are growing better. might try a plant in there next year
(I do have a few auto seeds in there and they are doing good)

it was all wooded, and we cleared a spot were the garden is. I cleared another smaller spot were I planted. I thought for sure the soil would be ok, since there was vegetation growing all over. and truthfully I do have weeds and grass growing around the hole I dug. Thanks for the tip. I am thinking pots may be the best bet for me.
But I will still try a few in the ground next year…again!

2 Likes

I will tell you I was worried about the low yield, but so far it seems the plants in pots are doing fairly well Can you give me a general idea of what the yield would be in what i think are 5 gallon pots is what I have… also what you get from your 7 and 10…just a round about number. Cause I am thinking this is really what I need to do, and its funny. I was thinking about just doing 10 gallons also next year if thats what I have to do, in the pots Thanks!

1 Like

That is a idea! But some of my plants have been gorilla grow, even tho its on my property. I found a spot in the woods that I thought would work…but I guess im gonna give up on that.
I do have another spot that tiller idea may work.
I did that in my veggie garden this year adding all kinds of stuff…compost…peat moss…grass…hay…straw. and tilled the heck out of it.
The veggie plants are doing much better this year. Might have to try a plant in the veggie garden next year and that one strip i was saying I can till.
If that dont work I think its all pots for me.
I thought for sure by digging the holes and adding, the soil would be ok. live and learn. That is the main reason why I tried pots this year…it was a just in case. well good thing!!

I know this was spose to be a topic on pots vs in the ground, but everyone is helping me and giving me GREAT ideas, and I really do appreciate the ideas and help.
This maybe a crazy question.
My plants that are around 3 feet. I think I do have one or two pots left that are 5 gallon. Can I still dig them up and pot them? They are tall and skinny
Will there be enough time for them to still grow and produce me some flowers?
OR will the shock of moving screw them up?

One thing to remember, if you are comparing the size of the hole you dug to a 5 gallon pot or something and you fill that hole with all that great dirt, your plant will not be the only roots searching that dirt for goodies. That can be good and bad, depending on what is there. I saw some articles on compatible crops (herbs, veges, flowers) that are either helpful, or do no harm. Just something to think about. You know if there is fresh dirt outside, something is gonna grow there. Plan what you want there.

1 Like

I don’t mean to hijack your post but I have a similar question…I grow in planters bit this next go round, I want to try bags. I have this one that fits 2 paper towel rolls. Will that be big enough for 1 WW AF?
@MattyBear
@raustin
@Countryboyjvd1971
@Covertgrower

3 Likes

There have been others that have used these style of bags. Short answer is they work, but I don’t think they hold their shape well. @NavyVet420

4 Likes

Yea…I was concerned about that…hmmmmm

1 Like

@Larry815 @Whodat66
In regards to the roots searching inward, you can purchase weed barrier fabric and line the hole with the fabric to keep other roots out. Also if drainage is an issue, add some pea gravel to the bottom for drainage.

3 Likes

Sure enough, but that was not mentioned (or I missed it).

1 Like

Yes I think you need some bigger holes with better drainage, Your plants may be rootbound by the clay barrier in the holes. A transplant is possible if they have not started flowering yet. Dont give up on planting in the ground, just make the holes bigger and make sure you have some good drainage. When growing outdoors in pots the bigger the better as far as pot size goes

2 Likes