Container size, 5 or 10 gal

I have 2 sativa and 2 indica; one of the indica is an auto, the others are photo. I’m using coco (was an accident but am happy with it). What size container should they be in? Also, I am experimenting with LST on one of the sativas.
They are 3 weeks today and I just learned I should have had them in bigger pots by now. I have 5 and 10 gallon felt pots… is 5 big enough or should I use the 10?
For now they are in a closet with a florescent starter light. They will move into a 4x4 tent once we harvest the one in there.

Indoor? I’d do 5 the issues I see in tents are the humidity issues that the big pots being because they hold a lot of water

2 Likes

The more root, the more plant under normal circumstances. You can get by with 5 gallon pots if you’re willing to use the best of souls and lights. Amazon has some good LED light systems, which you should be on now. I have found Foxfarm products to be about the best. You have to keep in mind the high prices of dispensaries and what end product you are going for. Stay with ilgm forum, can’t hardly go wrong. Best of luck. Wes

2 Likes

I’m still in awe of the friendliness and generosity of ilgm members who freely share info and experience. Restores my faith in humanity a bit :wink:
I do plan to invest in LED lights but for now there’s a 1000 watt hps.

4 Likes

Yep, indoor. I didn’t think of how it effects humidity :thinking: I have so much to learn but have that covered with ilgm :sunglasses: I have become kind of obsessed with my new hobby :wink:

2 Likes

@GreenThunder

Isn’t that why we are all here? Hahaha. Except my friends all think I’m nuts. It’s been a good experience so far.

4 Likes

@GreenThunder I have all of mine in a 5 gallon fabric pots. Some even in a 3 gallon. (I put the short OG Kush in those ones) I think 5 gallon is the best size, for most of the sativa strains and hybrids. I would only use a 10 gallon if you have an almost unlimited height, and you can allow the plant to get very large. Otherwise it’s really just wasted space.

2 Likes

I agree in general with confined space grows and most autos. Photos that you are trying to yield a half pound plus from will need more in soil IMHO. Two of mine are in 10 gallon fabric pots and one is in a 15 gallon. Mainly because of watering timing issues.

Growing in coco I don’t believe you would ever need more than a 5 gallon fabric pot. That is what I’m seeing and that’s what I plan on.

2 Likes

@GreenThunder @Covertgrower

Welcome to the rabbit hole! :inbox_tray::rabbit2:

5 Likes

What size tent do you have? If your have a 4-4-8 footer or bigger with a 1000w hps ( very very jealous of that) I’d go with the 10 gal in flower for the photos and a 3 gal in veg, auto you want them to go straight to there forever home put one in each size and test it out for your self that’s the best way to learn.

2 Likes

The tent is 4’9"x4’9"x6’9" and I got it to fill the space left by an 'empty nest (also, it’s easing the pain of watching the young one leave the nest) :sunglasses: The light is 1000w hps but I’m really considering switching to LED.
I’ve got the 2 indies moved onto 5 gals and they didn’t seem to get too stressed. Whew :grin:
JJ was the runt when they started but she’s caught up to her auto sis just fine, I’d say. Got high hopes for that little mystery seed :sunglasses:

2 Likes

5 gallon is going to be fine ,
Your plants look great :+1:

1 Like

Looking good @GreenThunder ~AB

2 Likes