Confusion over wattage

I have always been an out door grower, I desire to start indoor growing. I have 3 questions for I know nothing about watts and lights. I want to do indoor soil with LED’s. Went to a local hardware today, and all they had was average lights. I noticed they had the 2 pack’s of reds and blues. These are only 9 watts each, but they are 60 watt equivalent. Does this mean they will only produce 9 watts, or use 9 watts to produce 60 watts? Would this be ok to use with White Widow autos, From what I understand the yield is maybe an ounce or two if all goes well with the autos. Combining 4 lights 2 blues and 2 reds change the amount of lumens produced from 800 to 3200 or no. I read somewhere IF all goes well a gram a watt.
Please educate and shine some light on the subject. Thanks to all those who reply.

1 Like

Hiya @maximusindica …the manufacturers want to confuse you with a lot of hype…ignore the equivalent values…the lower number, number nine, matters here…you have 2 x 9 = 18 watts…a Mars Hydro 300 LED advertises 300 watts, uses approximately 138 watts, the 138 matters.

the target is 50 watts/square foot, a good LED may bring that number down into the 40’s watt/sq. ft.

Baby plants will live on 25 watts, as they grow the light intensity needs to increase.

4 Likes

@maximusindica three gold stars to @kabongster for a great answer!

If you have a pack of those spiral cfl lights laying around or at the store next pick them up and you will see something like 9w equivalent to 60w same difference with the LED lights. It’s all very confusing and that’s why we look at the actual draw to make it a level playing field (But even then, who really knows unless you have the test equipment to verify them)

1 Like

That is the answers to my questions. A very big thank you! Now its time for spamming. If anyone has any decent used set ups for under $60 to help a disabled couple. Please contact me. I would much rather keep the money in our ILGM forum family, instead of making China richer.

1 Like

I agree with at @kabongster shoot for 50 per at close to it
I believe I read something post by one of the mods possibly @garrigan62
about leds can go as low as 35 watts a square foot
But I shoot for 50 a little more can’t hurt lol

2 Likes

Thank you my Bro. Yes it was confusing, I was under the impression that it was only using 9 watts to produce 60 watts per bulb. I changed out my bathroom vanity lights now I have 2 bars that hold 12 lights each. My plans was to combine them in my closet. I was under the impression I would end up with 24 lights mass producing 1440 watts in a small closet. I love the forum so much to glean from picking at peoples brains, cause mine is overly resonated! LOL. If you have any unwanted equipment for sale shoot me a holler. Thxs Bob for the clarity.

Yeah good luck figuring all this stuff out. It takes months to sort through the good and bad. I know I read an article somewhere that explained the entire deal with LED lights. I will see if I can find it.

1 Like

Yes. I am finally figuring this out, that’s to all the knowledge of others. Manufactures prey on lack of education for higher sales, It’s almost deceptive! As time goes on, I become richer in education, as the embarrassing shame and reproach vanishes from me. Soon I will be able to help others with some issues that I have been through. That in it’s self is a major blessing.

2 Likes

circle of life! LOL

1 Like

And that’s what it’s all about paying it forward my friend
That what I have been trying to do and will continue to do so
I love the fact we can share this info 20-30 years ago it was impossible

5 Likes