Confused on harvest time

I understand harvest time should be based on the color of trichomes. All clear, too early - all amber, too late. I also believe I was told once to watch the color of the hairs and that once they all (or mostly all) turn from white to brown it’s almost ready. This plant still has lots of white hairs (40%) but lots of the trichomes are amber.

I expect this one’s gonna be a couch lock, which is fine.

Should I harvest now? I’m just starting week 7 of flower.

@Hellraiser

3 Likes

You may be looking at trichomes on the sugar leaves of the flower, which will mature more quickly. For a proper assessment, be sure to look at the trichs on flower rather than on leaves.

5 Likes

Mistersir, me I would wait, I’m playing the waiting game myself, that’s why I am changing the CO2 every time I water every time I open the tent and every time I change the fluctuation of the airflow.

3 Likes

Midwest guy has the answer… but I still had to chime in.

Your name and avatar made me laugh… literally out loud.

2 Likes

Holy crap! That is some fat FROSTY STUFF! Very nice! What strain is it?
I don’t use CO2, just the basic beginner setup.
I don’t see any amber trichs on yours.

1 Like

I’m glad I could start your day off with a laugh. :joy: MisterSir was the best part of that movie.

1 Like

Curious as to how old your plants actually are.
They look like maybe 8/9 weeks. They should fatten up a lot before they finish.
Looking very good btw

I can’t see the flower itself very well because they are buried under all the sugar leaves. I’ll poke around in there and see what I can see. I want to wait as long as possible, obviously. Longer= bigger and fatter. This is the first time I’ve ever had amber trichs.

Your plants do look good, but to me… they don’t look ready

1 Like

These plants just finished 16 weeks above ground, and just finished 6 weeks in flower. I had a bit of a setback in the beginning with poor soil, and I had enough stash to last me, so I let these veg for two weeks longer than I normally do. Front plant is ILGM Bubblegum, back is ILGM AK-47.

1 Like

So you still have 3/4 weeks to go.
What is the lighting? I am wondering if it might be too intense.
I say this because the plants are very compact for that age. It would also explain the ambering of the trichs on the sugar leaves. One of the posts in another one of your threads said you have 450 watts of lighting in a 2x2 tent. Thats a lot.

2 Likes

I’m a week or 2 from harvesting a bubblegum myself.

You’ve probably got 3 - 4 weeks to go. Start looking at trichs on flower once the pistils have browned and receded.

4 Likes

I have one SpiderFarmer 1000 in the tent on these plants. Same light and procedure as my last 3 grows. I don’t really go off of wattage, since so many companies mislead you with wattage info, but I dont think this light puts out 450 watts.

They are compact because I kept them compact with LST. My grow space and tent are both short so I LST for a short, wide plant with as many colas as I can get.

How does intense light cause ambering trichs?

2 Likes

The SF1000 is a 100w light (true watts - power draw from the wall.)

Yep, what @MidwestGuy said, look at trichs on calyxes not the small bud leaves which always go amber first.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the advice and explanation. I was figuring 2 or 3 more weeks, but the amber trichs had me concerned. I remember from my last grows that they really fatten up in the last 3 weeks anyway. The more the merrier. :smiley:

MisterSir, thank you, it’s Super Lemon Mac.
Lemon Mac is arguably the most delicious sativa strain on the West Coast. Its sticky buds have an enticing lemony-citrus aroma and taste with a hint of earthiness. The cerebral high provides an excellent balance between physical effects and a clear headed high, leaving its users deeply relaxed yet attentive and aware. Plus it’s 23.6 thc

1 Like

OldSkool, I need some advice on mine. This is my first crop and I know I should flush my plant before harvesting and I am pretty sure a couple are ready. My question is, being as I have only flushed for 3 days, is it better to harvest now or wait another week and take the chance of waiting too long on harvest?

@Crankin, first of all welcome to the community and to the forum. Ty for the tag. First of all, I’m a image guy, I need to see what I’m looking at. I was just changing the co2 in my tent. What’s going on? Well let’s see what your babies look like. I harvest when when my budz, are like this

If there’s still green like this bud, I wait! A few more days, by open the tent up all the way helps me too.

I do the the cloudy, flush, cut and hang.
Hope this helps you with your grow, good luck with your grow and happy trimmin :metal:

Thank you so much for your quick reply! You crop looks A FUKN MAZING!!! We really don’t want the couch lock effect, but we would rather have that then have the bud taste like shit…… I have been using the fox farm nutrient line and have been flushing for, today would be day 4. The plants are changing so much every day and I am terrified that I’m going to screw mine up after putting all this effort in to them. I already had to cut down my blueberry because there was so many leaves dieing. My White Widow and Ak-47 were both started on 4/20 :roll_eyes: and I started my Blueberry and Sour Diesel on 05/01. So what do you think? Should I flush longer? Or start cutting? And again, THANK YOU FOR YOUR QUICK RESPONSE!!

1 Like