Concerned, Help

Hello everyone

I am trying to grow my white widows from seeds and I am alittle concerned about them at this stage. I have done my reading on the seedlings but nothing has told me about the long stems. Please help.

2 Likes

Long stems is usually caused by not enough light. Thus they stretch to get it.

5 Likes

I see they are setting outside in the pictures and this is a good thing.
Natural sunlight is the best.
It us correct that most of time they get stretchy searching for light.
If they was inside we’d say lower the light but outside in sunlight they should not streach much more as long as they aren’t in the shade to much.
Apre they outside full-time or do you take then inside?
If took inside, are they given light inside or just for the time they are outside?

2 Likes

I started them inside. In my bathroom and I had the lights about two inches away from them and I was afraid that they would get bruned because two of them were almost touching the uv light. That I have. I would love to leave them outside but at night it has been getting down to about 30 degrees.

1 Like

They’re reaching for the sun. You can put a bamboo skewer and a bread tie to prop them up. But like @1HappyPappy said natural sun is the best!!!

3 Likes

Bring them in at night. Put in direct sun first thing. They’re autos, so light cycle doesn’t matter. Just make sure the light they get is a lot!

4 Likes

Ok so I am doing good so far. I had inherited to older plants that I have brought back from almost dead. And I figured that I would try some from seeds.

2 Likes

Seems shaded where they are setting. If so that would account for the stretching.

2 Likes

You can cut a section of drinking straw to length and then slit the straw up the side, hold that slit open and slid the stem in carefully. That will give some stability to the plant.
But if it were me I would transplant them deeper into another pot.

1 Like

You can use a tooth pick as well. One can also bury part of the stem.:+1:

Kabob scewer sticks. No matter what is used be gentle. They are very fragile at this stage.

I was thinking about making them deeper but I wasn’t for sure.

1 Like

Let them get there true leaves before transplanting. Like I said they are delicate right now.

@Becca1 I would big and scoop them out and drop them the tap root is not that big yet burry them

2 Likes

Yes they are fragile right now but if very careful and you make the hole big enough you can bury them up to just below the seed leaves, I have done this often before I started direct planting outside. If worried jusr do it with one plant first.

3 Likes

I have buried them also but when I do I do it at an angle so the root ball is in the middle of the pot and the top is sticking up right at the side of the pot. That way when it comes time to lst or hst whichever is the case I can bend them all the way across the pot to the other side. That allows for more shoots to grow up from the stem than if only bent half way across the pot and still keeps the root ball centered.

4 Likes

Here is an updated pictures of the little girls.

Thanks for the help. I have appreciated the help. You all are amazing.

2 Likes

This the little girls they are about 3 to 4 weeks now.

3 Likes

Looking good to me. Look like mine.

2 Likes

UPDATE on the little girls.

I all ready know that there are some brown spots on the leafs they are water spots because of my grand babies. And this is after I transplanted them to a bigger pot

3 Likes