Concentrates Blog

I evaporate it down to a wax. None of my edibles have a strong taste… some don’t taste at all (that’s what I’ve been told). I found if you shake it too much it breaks down the last material… you might feel like you are getting more but if it’s not filtered properly, you’ll get some of it being plant material.

I shake very gently now but I do a few washes.

1 Like

I decarb in a mason jar so I don’t have to smell it lol

1 Like

Thank you so much for the feedback everyone.

@Caligurl i was definitely hoping you’d comment as you and @blackthumbbetty(?) seem to be the resident experts in this subject.

I’m going to follow your decarb instructions and do the QWET, down to waxy consistancy and try the gummies

2 Likes

Cool… just remember I no longer shake it a lot (or hard)… I freeze both the ever clear and the weed (separately), combine them and give a light couple of tosses, put back in freezer for 1/2 hour and she twice… put immediately into the strainers,

Let me know how it turns out. I have the gummy bear recipe as well above, but update, I use 3 packets of gelatin… they set up better.

Edit I have also been adding matching kool-aid powder (like 1/4 t) for added flavor

4 Likes

I have never done this yet but have read to declare in a oven bag and the odor is contained. Could this be true. Else I think I’ll use my electric smoker outside

1 Like

I’ve been decarbing in a mason jar the last half a dozen times, and it is by far is the most effective way I’ve found to contain the wonderful smell

2 Likes

If you can keep the smoker at the temp consistently I’d say that is an excellent idea.

I’m going to trust the mason jar will keep it on the down low, and will probably try this weekend.

2 Likes

I decarb in the oven with a mason jar as well with almost no odor.

6 Likes

@Mr_Wormwood what worked for me was using a toaster oven. It fits a mason jar perfectly, and I have an IR temperature reader so I can dial in the temp, and this allows me to run the decarb in my garage, further separating the stench from those that don’t appreciate it…food for thought!

2 Likes

I was thinking of picking up one from thrift store to decarb on my balcony (apartment dweller) but the temperature was one thing I was not sure how to monitor accurately but sounds like the IR thing solves that.

I’m going to try the mason jar first as it sounds like it’s less smelly than I was afraid of. I probably smell up the house when I come in reeking after smoking out on the balcony lol. If that does not pan out I’ll go spend some cash on thrift store toaster oven and II gun from Harbor Freight

2 Likes

You’ll probably be pleasantly surprised with he mason jar method. Hand tight the lid then back it off just a crack before going in! If you notice a smell, throw on some oven mitts and tighten the lid up while its working!

1 Like

I hope so because I need more gadgets and appliances like I need…well you get the idea, and ima need mason jars anyway for all those nuggs when I get final approval from the boss lady to set up a tent

2 Likes

“Declare” lol. Meant DeCarb. Fat finger syndrome,

1 Like

Might be good to start looking now: I needed jars for my last harvest and had to settle for small mouth, almost double what I normally pay and the availability was poor. Seems that jars are a seasonal item.

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410 I have a Stop and Shop chain store near me that has had a consistent stock of cases of wide mouth jars, 3 sizes too. May not be the case for all their stores, but a different place to look maybe

1 Like

My local Ace Hardware got some in and I bought a case. Wally World still doesn’t have any in stock but normally have the best prices: $11.88 for 1 quart wide mouth. I’ve got enough for the next harvest but definitely need to stock up for summer.

1 Like

I’ve heard about the oven bags too… I’m cheap, I like things I can re-use plus I always have them around for storing buds.

1 Like

I just bought grove bags. I may see if one can withstand the lower temps for decarb

1 Like

Is there a farm supply or rural king those farm stores carry a lot of canning supplies

1 Like

Yes they are seasonal and now is the time to get them. I work in a lot of Dollar Generals and they are on the shelves right now

3 Likes