Concentrates Blog

Dry ice hash is by far the easiest method I’ve seen.

5 Likes

If you go with dry ice, do not put it in the machine. It will freeze the motor and water. Machine is for regular ice and water only. Dry ice is getting harder to find out here in BFE or I def would have saved the cash. But next year I’m running a ten plant room so I went ahead and invested. Can’t see myself churning all that trim by hand for a whole day.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info and motivation!

6 Likes

Nice! What are you going to make with it?

2 Likes

I’ve been taking screenshots of some of the recipes posted on this forum. Not sure which one yet!

Patiently waiting… Need to try again and shake in jars less

5 Likes

I have been finding that the jars don’t need to be shaken much at all… the product comes out cleaner with less chlorophyl and seems cleaner.

4 Likes

Oh lord. Just the idea of having enough herb to try some of this stuff is daunting for me, as I’m still buying meh quality for 200 an oz here in Buffalo and I’m not quite in a position to grow yet.

Living vicariously through your posts is very fun and informative and someday with some luck and planning, I’ll be giving out gummies as gifts and making angles hair pasta with sauce with an added kick.

Thanks @Caligurl for the inspirations

3 Likes

Another trick I’ve read a few times is also not to grind it or break it up as much. I’ve done it with flower I’ve ground up in a coffee grinder, with a hand grinder, and just breaking it up by hand into smaller buds. The best was just by hand.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, absolutely… I always break it up by hand into pieces a little larger than a grain of rice (or larger)

1 Like

Im using trim/popcorn buds, maybe better to just hand break all it up rather than grinding it? Cleaner wash? My reasoning for grinding was to be able to fit 50g of material into a normal sized mason jar…

1 Like

There is a ratio of ethanol to flower, so packing in as much as possible might not let you get all the thc out in one pass. I do 10 to 1. 28g flower is 280 grams of ethanol.

2 Likes

@thedeernad I agree with @Donkey - don’t grind it, just break it up into the size of grains of rice.

1 Like

I don’t even go that far as vigorous agitation breaks it down just fine.

4 Likes

@Donkey ill weigh out my normal portion of everclear next time and see what it comes out to. I have been consistently using 50g of trim/popcorn on all my runs so far so just working on dialing it in :+1:

@Caligurl ill be just tossing it in the jar as is next time, might sift thru for the popcorn buds and bust them up a bit

@Myfriendis410 i did notice that the wash i did where I shook the mix more than other times I wound up with the most concentrate afterwards

4 Likes

Using the weed from broken up roaches and half doobs, I was thinking of trying tincture or edibles but am thinking that the taste might be so bad it would be intolerable. Not to mention the smell of decarb.

Since you guys all have quantities of quality herb, I doubt anyone has tried this, but I thought I’d ask anyway.

Do you think the taste would be so bad as to make it unusable (I’ll put up with quite a bit of adversity for a good buzz)
Maybe it would only be suitable for a wax vape but if I could make gummies (I could call them Skummy Gummies) or tincture I’d prefer that

I just hate to see it sitting there, but with smoking only street bought weed until I get my grow equipment together, the “flavor” is already not good when fresh, so we hate smoking straight roach weed

2 Likes

@Mr_Wormwood

I took old roaches, resi from the collector on my dab rig, old pressed pucks, and old carts. Decarbed and then I mixed with food grade ethanol. (Everclear or 200 proof from online) then added sugar until it was a paste, spread it on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper to air dry. The rosin attaches to the sugar and the alcohol evaporated. Leaving you with a brown sugar like consistency and color. Add to coffee, tea, food like it’s regular sugar. The black coffee tasted a little earthy but was very strong. I actually liked the flavor.

2 Likes

Did the decarb stink to high heaven?

1 Like

Not anymore than normal.

1 Like

Never decarb do before so not sure yet what normal is, but I’m glad to hear that roach weed and bong scrapings (resin) doesn’t smell any worse.

1 Like

The problem with using old used material (like roaches) is it’s predominantly waxes and lipids which hurts the overall finished oil. I would never use that material myself.

3 Likes