Composting with black soilder flys

There are lots of uses for the larve. Mrcrabs said human consumption a few days ago lol. Hell they might be good stir fried with some onions and peppers lmao

Lol i remember that convo. Hard pass on the stir fry. Maybe fish with em but i havent fished but once this year.

2 Likes

If I keep meat out of my BSFC bins AND i read any ways to purge them i would try some…maybe a nice larve pot pie or I keep thinking stir fried rice with larve lmao. Yeah nm I have chickens lol

1 Like

Hahaha. Keeping it relatively clean should be easy. Just make 2. One for junk, one for organic consumption. :joy::joy: an experiment. See which is better for ur soil

Spoiler alert: bone n blood meal go into 80% of super soils

2 Likes

@PurpNGold74 great point, but that’s what we’re subsituted fir bsfl castings and frass, which has a higher or equal percentage of N than crabmeat or bonemeal, im not to computer savy but will bring up the study and report on this and do a screen shot to ease people’s minds, insect frass has higher percentage in nitrogen than crabmeal or bonemeal by a long shot, add TOMATES and BANNANA for Potassium

5 Likes

Jeez I’ve been liking away and now I’m out mrcrabs. I saved 1 plants soil the other 2 were disintegrated by mice or rats going for the roots I’d guess. I’m about to go shave my head and get ready for a doc appt. I’m running in the co-op to see about old fruit before I head home and a thought just hit me…I have access to watermelon rinds and possibly some uncut rotting ones as well. Those should go in too?

2 Likes

here’s some nutrients and I will post some amino acids it has also

3 Likes

the article I read it was about the way bonemeal and crabmal were produced , and even steamed bone or crab meal actually loses npk values, on other hand bsfl frass isn’t steamed or losses npk value from the process, it’s natural, as you can see it bonemeal has ranges not a set npk value, don’t get me wrong I make my own bone meal also, it’s called bone char and even throw in a occasionally dead bird or rat, and a few chicken bones in my compost

3 Likes

I’m researching bone char when I get back this evening…unless I have a nurse with me lol then I’ll have to do it later

2 Likes

Bone char is a quick way to make bone meal, not as effective as boiling bones and letting them sit for a month then pulverize them add to compost, or steam them and do the same.

2 Likes

You just build a fire and then burn /char the bones? What types of bone do u like? I see chicken bones in the pic maybe. And wood ash, what types of wood? If I’m getting ahead of you just tell me to slow my roll lol

1 Like

No its cool, heres a quick run dowm on bonemeal its high in calcium and phosphorus thats why i don’t use it in.compost with Bsfl, if you check out the charts i put above bsfl are extremely high in calcium and phosphorus, so thats my substitute, now lets get to why i dont use blood meal, boold meal is what is sound like by products of slaughter Houses, dried blood and bloody leftover, high in N, where i subsituted that with charged biochar , that is done easily with just using urine in your biochar or just peeing in your compost pile or biochar, when do i use bone char then, i use bone char at the bottom of my holes or pots when the plant up takes more calcium and phosphorus during late flowering stages,
Hopes this makes sense , you Will, i was lost at first but it all started to make sense, especially in my pocket $$$$$

3 Likes

2 weeks or a month ago I was lost but intrigued…now I’m intrigued and preparing lol…I really did have weird dreams about it last night lol but I was sleepy and u made this thread late last night and it was on my mind…tonight before bed I’m watching gaga videos again :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Lmao, lady gaga is kool, yes @Gremmall any chicken, dog , bird, aligator bone ect. Can be chared, or steamed and pulverizeed but that i use towards the bottom of holes or my pots for flowering stages, i will show you how to make diffrent stages of soil for diffrent needs of plants life including base soils that have worked for me without using cash

2 Likes

I just read jbums post on your summer grow thread…I put my pics there this morning too and not here where I intended lol…I’m excited to see your different stages of soil too :smile:

1 Like

Here’s another compost bin that can be made for roaches, but instead of motels we’re making roach mansions. Same concept as a bsf bin, that part is explained already, now you can just fill it with twigs and leaves, mine is going on three this yr. but you can buy coco coir or peat moss , it fast forwards a bit. Then put a heavy mulch on top of twigs and leaves, it will attack roaches and hopefully the right ones

Here are some of my roaches, they are asexual, meany they clone themselves, perty awesome

![image|477x500](upload://wEIayJhl4At69TuSSnX3hCn3rc9.jpeg

They are a species called Surinam roaches, aka the greenhouse roach, they burrow themselves into your compost and come out at night to feeed!!!

They multiply on my ice cream bucket nursery, I added some peat and coco so they can bury themselves and throw in my char bones, they eat any thing left on the bone, also add fruit and veggies , this makes good compost with insects frass fir your seedlings , just have not to gross out with roaches, believe me I’ve seen some very macho men say I don’t touch them things, after this bucket get filled with babies they’re off to the roach mansion, they will stay, it’s semi damp and there’s a foood source , this compost is great for seedlings and clones, enjoy guys and gals

2 Likes

I will grab anything on earth except a snake. I’d rather grab a wildcat by the balls with a handful of cockleburs that ANY snake lol but roaches and maggots and stuff like that dont bother me a bit. I’ve been cutting a path to a couple of old bathtubs my dad had here for the very reason I’m getting them…one will be red wigglers and the other will be nightcrawlers. I’ll put the drain hole on the downhill side but heres my question. Can or will my worms leave the tub through the drain or should I try to cover it somehow? 3.99 for 30 reds and same price for 15 crawlers lol I’d rather not set them free lol

should I dump the leaves and crap that’s accumulated in the big tub? The smaller one was upside down so it’s a blank canvas lol

3 Likes

Now that im not familiar with at all, i don’t have experience with worms, i made my new bin in hopes that it will attract wigglers to my bin, sorry buddy can’t help, but mabye someone with experience reads this and might chime in.

2 Likes

Kool upcyle gread idea

2 Likes

I’d guess they will escape if I dont cover the hole…my great grandfather is squirming in his grave at me lol. He sold red wigglers for a living and he had TONS of beds built…if my memory serves he made wood boxes tho…come chime in @zparkie2 lol u were typing and now you’re not

2 Likes