Composting with black soilder flys

Hello lady’s and gents, it’s time to start a black soilder fly compost bin, here are some of the items needed a drill, grinder, hammer , tape measure, circular saw or miter saw and safety goggle, glasses and face mask :mask:

I’m gona start by cutting 8 pieces at 45 inches (length) you can Make them
bigger if you’d like, 8 pieces at 24 inches, (width ) you can make them bigger if you’d like, and 4 pieces at 18 inches( height)
![image|374x500](upload://p9UcNfQTZF2s7NbHBQE
Then I get a air nailer and nail them together leaving small gaps for air circulation, also leave a gap at the edges to let the other plank fit!image image|374x500

Now we can begin filling in the sides

I use air nailer and get them settled in
now your almost done with your bsfl compost bin, , it’s optional, but I made a frame and put some old tin , but you can just use a board on top, bsfl don’t like sunlight

I added a chain for support now we’re ready to fill with our grow media or recycled soil ready for recharge, that will be tomorrow, enjoy everyone I’m tagging a few people, now fell free to tag anyone interested @Gremmall @BlackShirt @Skydiver @zparkie2 @AAA @Jbum @TXCanna @elheffe702 @Budbrother @GreenJewels tagg away my friends

15 Likes

Killer crabs!

You got some uploading issues you better get before that timer expires!

4 Likes

I put the wrong pic i took it off, thanks, I’ll be setting it up tomorrow,

4 Likes

Damn it boy you put quite a bit of effort into that. I really appreciate the picture progress lol. I think I can build that. Question 1: Can i use the old soil I just tossed in the creek as a base for the compost? Even if it housed a plant with wpm? 2: about how far away from the house should I put it…I planned about 75 yards from the front porch but I was thinking this evening that if it smells I could put it at the back of the house where I vent the tent out a back window. Might put a pig back there too, and I can use another animal I wont kill cause I name it lol @PurpNGold74 @monkman @Midwestnewbie @Killadruid @BobbyDigital

5 Likes

It will only stink for a while, then the larvae actually release a hormone that neutralize smell and adding biochar helps with the stank. I have mine in the back yard alway from the house, I would not recommend to start with dead animals till your colony is well established, then it can take on animal meat bits at a time @Gremmall you welcome buddy with the right tools it’s not much of a bother, just wanted to give u a good idea :bulb: on how it’s done

6 Likes

i know i can’t build that, i’m not allowed to use “power tools” lol great stuff @Mrcrabs!

4 Likes

Out of likes guys thanks

3 Likes

what is wpm? old soil i think is perfect to add to a compost pile! but i will leave that to @Mrcrabs, i’m just guessing.

2 Likes

@monkman, White powdery mildew, that’s soil is a perfect candidate for your bin @Gremmall , also people who finished with there grows and throw there soil away this is an alternative , stop wasting money and recharge that old soil, coco coir and even super soils like one that’s very popular kind soile, @SilentHippie , @Ncgreenthumber do you recycle your kind soil?

6 Likes

lol i’ve been putting my supersoil out in the yard in low spots. i have a place that i could put a compost pile but don’t know how long i will live here and don’t want to mess with it… i hate crawly things :laughing:

2 Likes

I think only 1 went into the water…the other 3 are retrievable…I have grass trimmings and veggies and some fruit saved and i have quite a few sticks piled up for a base layer and I’m attempting it wed if it doesn’t rain lol…you fellas have a good night I’m going to stretch out :sleeping: holler back tomorrow

2 Likes

Here’s a map where soilder flys have been spotted in the wild, I’m the larvae way at the bottom tip of Texas, have a good night @Gremmall

5 Likes

Here’s another bin that I didn’t go so fancy on , just a couple pieces of plywood’s on top will also do the trick to keep sunlights out, also didn’t go as high as the other build. This my lazy build, same concept but this is a 3x3 , 1ft high, the other is a 2x4 , 1ft and a half feet high, fits more soil and produce and don’t have to worry about draining leachate, it’s just runs off into the ground and make your ground fertile

4 Likes

I can’t wait to try to improve things and maybe see some around here. Looks like Ohio is black flyless on the map. I started out with a compost pile. Then graduated to a compost tumbler built out of a barrel.
I’m not really happy with it, it’s aged and needs more work.

Plus I need much larger one. I was planning to build a second compost barrel but now I think a bin would work for me better. Then, I can use my other barrel I have and make my rain barrel off my gutters…i need more barrels actually :grin: So you must turn your pile manually with a pitch fork or something?

5 Likes

I do every now and then before larvae are well established but I let them do the work once the colony has grown

2 Likes

I’m going to go from fly killer/hater to fly raising/loving. If anyone has cows they know flies. I hate flies. I will set this up way away from house.

It wouldn’t be hard to set this up, we got flies ! Do you raise your own worms too? thx tremendously for taking the time to teach us this @Mrcrabs

2 Likes

Haha, @zparkie2 I hate houses flies as much as any other individual but these are harmless don’t bite and don’t spread disease @GreenJewels that map was put up by a member in another forum, it was used to track people that had flys or seen flys in there area along with pics, I wouldn’t count yourself out maybe no members in that area, as you can see not much were seen in Mexico but I’m sure that’s a environment that they would thrive in. I know that a few members also sold some one line just google black soilder fly larvae for sale, but I really hope you can lure them in before winter comes,

@zparkie2 I don’t raise worms I’ve made this bin a bit higher to see if I can lure some away from Mother Nature, it’s a bit taller than my usual bins, got this idea from a buddy that I met online from Thailand, he has successfully raised soilder flys and night crawlers. It’s my first attempt at doing so

3 Likes

cleared out a spot, I’m using sphagum peat moss for this bin, you can use coco coir also, that just what I had atm, I like to fill have ways to leave room for produce. I will talk about amendments I add later since I am out of some and have to purchase them. Have a blessed day everyone, till next time

6 Likes

I dreamed of flies and worms and fruit and poop…then carpenter man came down the hill laughing at my building skills. I told him to F Off lol…I’m going right this second to see about the plants I tossed and their soil lol

2 Likes

Lmmfao. Thanks for the thread tags! My yard isnt nearly big enough for this sadly. And i dont own and animals to eat the things… i wouldnt mind the soil recharge but too many wasted profits for my taste.

2 Likes