Compost basics?

Anyone know of an organic source of phosphorus??

Here is my compost. Just horse manure cooking under a tarp with grass roots and such. Heard an old grower tell me to put alfalfa in the water so I’m trying it!

So anyone on here have any experience with night crawlers?? I started a little worm farm and want to know how to keep them happy :slight_smile: thanks yall!

For those of you out there who have read Jeff Lowenfells series ‘Teaming with Microbes’ I am still in book one but I was wondering if anyone can tell me the gist of mychorrhizae being negotiated with for a source of phosphorus??? If anyone knows what the Hell I’m talking about, a little help would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile: :+1::alien: @garrigan62 @Kan72

@Shyguy420 ,

It is a symbiotic association between a fungus and a plant. The term mycorrhiza refers to the role of the fungus in the plant’s rhizosphere, ( its root system ). Mycorrhizae play important roles in plant nutrition, soil biology and soil chemistry.and the plants uptake of nutrients.

It isn’t a source of ( Phosphorus )

2 Likes

Thank you garrigan62 I had some funny notion that the fungus filled the place of phosphorus. Anyways I’m still looking for the minerals (magnesium and phosphorus) to add to my AACTs. The only source of mag. Is Epsom salt? Phosphorus is limestone idk I’m still pretty lost. Any help is appreciated. Im going to make my next tea with bone meal Mycos and a dab of molasses, maybe some Earthworm castings

Is Epsom salt acceptable in an organic grow? Only thought is the sulfate might be bad?

1 Like

@Shyguy420

Epsom salt helps improve flower blooming and enhances a plant’s green color. It can even help plants grow bushier. Epsom salt is made up of hydrated magnesium sulfate (magnesium and sulfur), which is important to healthy plant growth. Hopethis helps.

B Safe

2 Likes

@Shyguy420,

Epsom salt helps improve flower blooming and enhances a plant’s green color. It can even help plants grow bushier. Epsom salt is made up of hydrated magnesium sulfate (magnesium and sulfur), which is important to healthy plant growth .Hope this helps

B Safe

1 Like

Thank you garrigan62 preciate ya

@Mrcrabs check out my bsfl box

I ordered the larvae and am just getting ready now

2 Likes

Also, I read myke are pointless to add to compost or compost tea. They only grow and live on living plant roots as it’s a symbiotic process… so good to add when transplanting seedlings to ensure contact with roots.

A late post! But this was a good read…

I save all my coffee grounds and egg shells and bananas on purpose for my compost since I know they are great for NPK and cal-mag, also great to add any fruit and veg. For browns, cardboard and paper bags, looking to add leaves since it’s fall. I throw worms from my garden in when I find them. I will also add bottoms of my fish fertilizer, collect seaweed, and add ash from my fire place. Right now is a good time to add stuff that takes a long time to break down like the bone meal and egg shells to get ready for spring!