Compost basics?

Hey all, I am new to the organic game and want some guidelines for composting. For example, what is the ratio of carbon material (leaves, grass cuttings etc.) to nitrogen material (horse manure, earthworm castings etc.). Also how do I get microbes to house in my compost? Do I need blood or bone meal? I’m trying to learn from @Mrcrabs he has some amazing compost going with black soldier flies. Any and all advice and tips is appreciated thank you and have a great day.

1 Like

I’m about to brew up some compost tea using the bacterial recipe that @garrigan62 suggests. Only thing is I didn’t add any fish emulsion because I left it at my grandma’s lol. I’ll post some pics later

How’s it going buddy… my compost is a mix of peat moss … coco coir…biochar… bone char… perlite … vermiculite… gypsum and my old pots from previous grows… I layer on top with nothing but fruit and vegetables… let rot so it can attract BSF… once the flys lay eggs … the larvae get to work breaking down the fruit and vegetables… then I use that dirt in the bottom of my new grows… so I don’t durn you’re plants… all kind of insects will be attracted to your compost and Mother Nature will take its course… good luck… it’s an unconventional type of composting… more like superchargering your old soil.:+1:

4 Likes

Hey Mrcrabs I’m doing good thanks for asking. Thank you for all the awesome info and stuff on the bsf. It looks like a blast raising up all those flies from larvae! I think I probably need more fruits and veggies in my compost pit. I’m in western colorado here and am not sure if we have the bsf but we will see. I’ll keep you updated. I might even go buy some produce at the grocery to attract the buggies. Muchos gracias :crab: man

1 Like

Here’s where they have been spotted in the wild… they might be in your area…

1 Like

Here’s my first tea so far right after I started it. I used a 5 gallon bucket, a bubblebag for a filter, and water that’s been boiled for 10 minutes. The recipe I used was 3 cups earthworm castings, 2 tbs molasses, 2 tsp kelp, 2 tbs liquid humid acid and a pinch of alfalfa meal. I was going to use the recommended recipe but got stoned and kinda went crazy… Oh well we’ll see what happens. And there’s my new bike I’m going to buy this week

Sweet thanks Mrcrabs even if I have to buy them online I think I probably will because I want them

1 Like

Buy them at larvae stage… that’s when they eat…

1 Like

My @Mrcrabs is it the same process for roaches?. I saw your post with the greenhouse roach but I can’t find it now.

1 Like

After 12 hours

1 Like

Same process… I just don’t fill it with fruit and vegetables… so it don’t attract bsf… it will atttact roaches and pill bugs And amongst other insects that will benift to your compost… great for seeding stage and clones :+1:

1 Like

Sweet Thanks Crabs.

I put out lots of veggies and fruits in an attempt to lure in flies

Well I watered today using my tea but I didn’t have quite enough water to get everything nice and soaked. I did get them enough of a drink for tonight tho and I washed down the leaves with it. I’m making another batch tonight and am going to apply it tomorrow.

ingredients for aact#2
11/2 tsp soluble kelp
1 tsp alfalfa
1/2 tsp high N guano (8-3-1)
2 tsp molasses
1/4 cup earthworm castings
1 tsp liquid humid acid
1 tsp yucca extract

I just bought Hi-Yield blood meal and premium phosphate. Does anyone use these products for compost teas or otherwise? @Mrcrabs @garrigan62

1 Like

Also while I was at the local nursery getting tomatoes and flowers with my wife I noticed they were selling mushroom compost as a soil additive. Does anybody have experience with mushroom compost? I will research it and may use it in a compost tea to build fungi. Thanks all have a wonderful day

2 Likes

I dot use teas… grow mainly with my compost mix… but I do add insect frass in my pots which gives it fungal dominance when it is needed :+1:… other members use teas… some is sure to help you out in that area…

2 Likes

Thanks buddy

1 Like

@Mrcrabs how much blood meal would you recommend for about a yard of compost? Rock phosphate?

1 Like

I’m gona have to pass on That one also… I make bone char…

then I pulverized it… then when I make my soil mix I add a handful at the bottom of my pots… the top half is just a good potting mix like promix… one gal pot with promix… 3 gal pot with my special blend of compost layered… nothing but rainwater…

1 Like