Complete flood and drain system setup

I miss those guys big time. I knew Tim was dying when I went away for a while. They were fun to converse with and really helped me a lot like you have my friend. I’ve come a long way from that crowded room with too many plants, crappy lights, and low yields that took 4 months to get to.

3 Likes

Thats one hell of a setup. Maybe someday when i have room i can spread out into more space. Right now im confined to my 7 by 10 storage closet at my shop. Stuffed a 5 by 5 and a 20 by 36 tent in. Along with a veg and overflow loft for all my plants. Currently ive cut back to only 3 pot plants at a time. Anymore then that in tn could carry real jail time still sadly.

1 Like

[quote=“TeNNWisKeY, post:42, topic:88074”]
7 by 10 storage closet
[/quote
We both have about the same amount of space @TeNNWisKeY . I stopped perpetual growing about 2 years ago…I needed a break for a month or 2…so I gave up the little veg area and turned it into a little storage closet. My actual grow area is 5 x 6 so I have to roll the table around when I’m pruning.

1 Like

Ceiling height might let me do something like this, but definitely not in a tent. If my state will ever allow me to grow either legally for rec or medical, i will definitely look into expanding, as for a break maybe someday i will want one. For now im just a young sponge trying to soak up all the grow knowledge i can get.

2 Likes

Sadly…you can’t really do food and drain in a tent. My state will probably never let us grow for ourselves. They are working on having only 4 corporate growers grow and sell if it’s made legal. No personal growing allowed

That really suck. Before it was ever legalized in any state, i have always felt it was a ridiculous law. Should be as common as the other vegetables in my garden.

1 Like

This seems to be the model for new legislation. It’s only legal if you line the state’s pockets. A lot of cops here will still write tickets for anything without state tax seal on it.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t expect anything different in this upside down world right now with government trying to control every single thing in our lives

3 Likes

I think I’ve finally got a decent understanding about reservoir ph drift in flood and drain setups.

As the plants take in the feed…they only take what they need and put back what they don’t. As the reservoir loses solution to the table, the ppm rises and the ph drops. I was using up to 50ml ph up a day to keep the res in range during flower. With 10-30-20 bloom…the ph would drop from 5.85 to 5.10 in 24 hours. I want to keep it right at 5.85 without pouring in up every day…

I love this cheap auto doser and it drops the ph up to 20ml a day.

The plants are doing real well

This Blueberry may be the first 1lb plant for me after all this time growing…
I would appreciate it if one of you moderators @dbrn32 @Myfriendis410 @MattyBear would retitle this thread to “complete flood and drain system setup”

6 Likes

I didn’t know I could retitle it myself…so I did. Also moved it to hydroponics category

2 Likes

I’ll do that now. Nice grow!

n.b.: already done

3 Likes

Really beautiful plants! Let me know if you need anything else :call_me_hand:t3:

2 Likes

I appreciate you guys

3 Likes

You’re one of the guys "I owe what I know " to for where I’m at now. I learned by watching

5 Likes

You don’t owe me anything and I’m humbled you watch my grows :pray:t3::call_me_hand:t3::v::bear:

4 Likes

It’s a pay it forward thing for me now. You guys really taught me a lot. I have a lot of respect for what you do here.

5 Likes

Much appreciated and the best way is to pay it forward. We all want each other to succeed :call_me_hand:t3:

5 Likes

I picked something up from all the reading I’ve been doing about ph in hydro that makes a lot of sense. It’s from a grower who knows a thing or 2 about this

"Lets say you have a 10 gallon tank. You then add nutes to make it 500PPM. After a week the PPM is 450 and there are only 8 gallons of water left. That means my plant has used about the same amount of water as nutes.

At this point your PPM is 450, but if you plant is in vegitation it has sucked alot of the nitrogen out of the nutes, therefore that 450 PPM is lacking in nitrogen, so adding nutes back into this 10 gallon tank is going to raise your PPM however still not have the nitrogen the plant needs. That is the reason for flushing every 2 weeks. Hope that helps explain that some.

If the plant is “thirsty” it will drink more water, and thus your PPM will RAISE. If your plant is not “thirsty” and is “hungry” it will use more nutes than water, thus lowering your PPM. It’s almost impossible to tell you exactly what to do due to strains, envoirment, evaporation, etc … you will just have to play with it to get it right. At times plants will use more nutes than water, and vice versa. All you can do is monitor your PPM and make sure to adjust as needed.

A good starting point for vegging plants is to keep PH from 5.7-6.1 and PPM from 400-800."

3 Likes

Another thing I’ve learned from chasing ph issues

Ph Drops - Plant is using more nutes than water
Ph Raises - Using more water than nutes
Same - Equal water and nutes

Remember, ppm can “stay the same” but the plant is only using the nutes it needs, thus creating an “unbalanced” ppm

5 Likes

Right on Grow Bro, nice work and super healthy looking at your spot :muscle::muscle::love_you_gesture:

2 Likes